LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:02 pm 

I am wanting to put a 350 in my luv. This will the first time I do this and I don't know much about a 350 so I'd like to get one that does not need a major overhaul. I found this one on craigslist.And was wondering if this would be a good one to start with. Hopefully I got the link right. http://masoncity.craigslist.org/pts/4377573768.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:39 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have one with the same block number. My block was out of a 72 Chevelle but only 2 bolt main bearings. The 3970010 could be either 2 or 4 bolt depending on what it was in. It is a great block to start with and the heads are not too bad. The issue is the definition of "rebuilt" and who did the rebuilding. You have to trust the person you are buying it from because you may not find out for a while if it is what they tell you it is. I was not very lucky and while my motor was rebuilt it had water get into it and had to be torn down and done again due to some water damage.

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:52 pm 

I just called the guy and he said the engine came out of a 75 chevy pickup and had around 60,000 miles when pulled and it is the 4bolt.As I said I don't know much about what it takes so tell me what you think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

With today's oils the flat tappet cam will die pretty quick. I suggest getting a later engine with the factory roller lifters. Something like a vortec...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:49 am 
Addicted to LUV

mytmouz wrote:
With today's oils the flat tappet cam will die pretty quick. I suggest getting a later engine with the factory roller lifters. Something like a vortec...

I have been hearing that more and more, but I am old school and isn't that what Z-Max is for? lol

I would try and get it for less if you can, but I am pretty cheap overall. 8)

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:40 pm 

I would be using amsoil full synthetic z rod oil which is a high zinc oil made especially for high performance flat tappet engines.This will be a daily driver so I don't plan to be running it to hard.So will I run into problems with this setup?And could I buy a newer engine and do what is done to this engine for any where the same price?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

mytmouz wrote:

This would be the route i would take . Buy a later roller block , swap the metric pistons for the old SAE style ring packs , balance everything , small cam and vacuum secondary carb (like Holley 600) , HEI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I built the roller motor in my nissan swap for that or slightly less. But I do my own work. Also if the water pump and pulleys they are including go with the one that is on the balancer they won't work witho ut some mods. That is a long water pump pulley.

FIAA!

SFPP!