LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:54 pm 

LUVTRKR wrote:
Nice, that is a whole lot of work in a short time. Now the fun starts. 8)

I've been going like a bat outta hell. From 9 am to 1 or even 2 am a couple of nights. A lot of trips to metal supply, HD, pepboys, and autozone. Let alone all the summit and other suppliers. How are you coming along with the new motor?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:09 am 
Addicted to LUV

That a pacesetter header? Im about done doing the same thing it was supposed to go out anf around the s10 shaft but i juet coundlt get thr clearance bending it outward so cut the top and bottom by the collector left a little piece to bend it on and cut out a wedge, bent it and added a little bit up top need to get pics of it now that its ready for paint

Looks dang good man in jealous i got a bit of catching up to do!
I would like to see your pulley setup better i cant stand the idea of those giant cast alum brackets and a serp belt in there!

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:24 am 
Addicted to LUV

McLuvvin wrote:
LUVTRKR wrote:

I've been going like a bat outta hell. From 9 am to 1 or even 2 am a couple of nights. A lot of trips to metal supply, HD, pepboys, and autozone. Let alone all the summit and other suppliers. How are you coming along with the new motor?

My motor is still coming along. I am old and work slow. :lol:

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:50 pm 

LUVTRKR wrote:
McLuvvin wrote:
LUVTRKR wrote:

My motor is still coming along. I am old and work slow. :lol:

Tortoise and hare my friend, tortoise and hare.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:50 pm 

Allright!! Got the new master clutch cylinder in and working perfect. Made an adapter for the driveshaft and it's good to go. Took the crank pulley to the welder and had hime weld up the plug for the center hub and the center hub that was machined off. Now it's back to the machinist for a surfacing and turning the pilot down to 1.125" so it fits on the dampener. Once that's done it will be drivable for more than 5 minutes. I have the old 87 octane gas in the tank and I' gonna go get some av gas to put in it as it pings a lot when i get on it too hard. High compression is a bitch sometimes. It's pretty wild though. I can't keep the tires from shredding in just about any gear. As well the whole truck is a completely different animal. It's gonna take some getting used to that's for sure. I am gonna take out for another test run with a friend and I'll post a video of it. here is a list of what's left:

1. Radiator fan and wiring.
2. Crank pulley.
3. wire the alternator.
4. Strap the battery down.
5. Tuning.
6. Check the electric choke.
7. Swap my 700 holley carb with manual secondary for the edelbrock and add a 2" plenum spacer. The edelbrok secondaries are kicking in when revving up under no load. This usually means that there is still a lot of vacuum in the plenum. I might try and change the needle springs and do a few other tweaks here and there but I have a feeling that the carb is too small.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:26 pm 

Here are some pics of the exhaust system and seuch:

And the clutch slave cylinder:

And the March pulley that was modified:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Very nice, That has to sound bitchin 8)

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:07 pm 

I finally got all the pieces together and the truck is completely drivable. Unfortunately i have come across a couple of problems so my mistakes are your good fortune if you do a swap like this. The first thing is the radiator. As stated in previous post on the forum the radiator will not support the power from the V6. I kind of knew this going in but was hoping it would be. The problem is that the radiator does not hold enough water to exchange the amount that is in the engine. So it is really a capacity issue. This bothered me from the beginning because I do not want to cut any metal from the core support at all. Well, I found a great solution although it is a little pricey. McCulloch custom radiators have a core that fits (I think I snagged the last one so timing might be an issue for some) and they are making me a 2 row large capacity (if you go to the website you will see why this is better than a four row) that will bolt right in place of the existing one. It should hold up to 500 hp and it was only 450 bucks!! The second problem I ran into will appeal to the engine builders here. When I built the motor I had a custom race cam ground for it. It is pretty radical for a V6 and Lunati was the only company that could grind it. It has small base circles and a lot of lift. This was a problem because the lifter bores are such that the mechanical lifter gets pushed up into the lifter bore far enough that the cutout for the lifter wheel goes past the oil bore and opens up the oil bore therefore causing a loss in oil pressure. As well the oil band on the lifter is too low to allow sufficient oil to the valve train. Fortunately for me they sell a lifter made especially for this situation. I would have bought them and I knew about them but usually it's not a problem so I wasn't concerned about it until I started the engine and realized the pressure was so low. At first it wasn't bad. I was getting about 25 @ idle and 50 @ anything above idle. Then the motor was broken in and the pressure dropped significantly so I bought the other lifters and it brought the pressure back up where it should be. Then the motor was put in the truck and ran a few hard passes thereby breaking it in further and the pressure dropped again. Long story short I will have to tear down the engine again and have the lifter bores sleeved. Keep in mind this is a high lift mechanical cam that could not use the original lifter retainers. The original hydraulic lifters shroud the wheel and can go to about .500 lift without problems and the oil pressure will not suffer. This will limit the rpm band and its not what I wanted. The engine spins 7000 rpm no problem and has power from 2500. it pulls hard but I cannot continue to run it with such low pressure or I will spin a bearing. Off to the machine shop again!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:35 pm 
Addicted to LUV

That is a lot to pay for a radiator to save some sheetmetal. That radiator reminds me of when I built my 63 stepside. I bought a core radiator at the junk yard and paid $250 to have it rebuilt. Then found a new one was only $225. I am just going with an off the shelf RV cam in my 355. I hope it all comes together soon for you. 8)

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:49 pm 

LUVTRKR wrote:
That is a lot to pay for a radiator to save some sheetmetal. That radiator reminds me of when I built my 63 stepside. I bought a core radiator at the junk yard and paid $250 to have it rebuilt. Then found a new one was only $225. I am just going with an off the shelf RV cam in my 355. I hope it all comes together soon for you. 8)

Yeah I bought the lifter sleeves already. Gonna tear the engine down next weekend and send it off to the machine shop to get them bored out. The good news is once all the kinks are out it'll be a stout V6 and the truck will be a Vegas runner. Well, I should say a laughlin runner. I don't do vegas anymore. The last time I went there I came back with a baby so what happens in Vegas does not always stay in vegas. I don't mind spending a few extra dollars so I can say my truck has not been molested. I really don't want to do that because these trucks are getting harder and harder to come by. I have a video of a hot lap I did with a friend but it's hard to see how fast it's going cus I don't have a speedo but I'llpost Iit when I get a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:10 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Mannn this monster looks bad ass!!! Good job on it bro. I had a quick question for you. What year of a 4.3 do you recommend. I did read on other post that the late 80s where good. If u dont mind me asken what year and vehicle did yours come out of. Im not a speed demon or anything like that but i would want some power and a daily driver. So can i get ur 2cents on this topic. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:52 pm 

juans74luvn wrote:
Mannn this monster looks bad ass!!! Good job on it bro. I had a quick question for you. What year of a 4.3 do you recommend. I did read on other post that the late 80s where good. If u dont mind me asken what year and vehicle did yours come out of. Im not a speed demon or anything like that but i would want some power and a daily driver. So can i get ur 2cents on this topic. Thanks.

Mine came out of a 1992 chevy full-size. If you want some good power and do it cheap the best thing to do is get a motor around the same year (92 or older) that doesn't have too many miles on it and stick with the hydraulic camshaft upgrade. Comp makes a good cam and you can home port the heads. You'll have to get 96' heads as the old "swirl port" heads suuuuck. The intake will have to be swapped unless you get the computer for that motor, but once the heads are swapped it screws up the computer and you'll spend more time and money trying to figure it out. Carburetor is better. With mine I had some major oiling issues that I didn't know about until the motor lost all pressure. For mine I swapped in a mechanical cam and mechanical lifters with a high lift. This caused me to ditch the stock lifter retainer and I didn't realize that one of the bolts holding the retainer was not a blind hole and that the cam was such a high lift that the wheel on the lifter exposed the oil galley therefore it didn't build enough pressure. After chasing it down I had the lifter bores bushed and plugged one of the oil through holes on the lifter as well put a bolt in the retainer hole now it build 90 psi. Here is a little run down on cost and what you might do to get a little extra power (200-250 hp)

1. Head swap, home port. These are all over ebay for $100.00 plus $75 for a port kit and $200.00 to have the guides and seats freshened up
2. Intake and carb swap. Intake-$220.00, carb (500 cfm) $400.00
3. Distributor $225-$450 depnding on the model
4. Good engine $600-$900
5. Gaskets $80
6. Hardware $120 (new head bolts, intake bolts and other)
7. Transmission This varies depending on stick or auto. If your not a decent fab guy stick with the auto. The manual requires master and slave cylinder work as well as clutch and pressure plate.
8. At least another $300.00 for all the little thing you might have missed.

There is a lot of fab work that goes into this and yes there are a lot of great articles here to help, but in the end you are the guy doing it and it takes time, money, and PATIENCE. It took me months to get the motor done but only a couple weeks to put it in the truck.

I have a blast when I drive it and everybody loves it. People stare at it everywhere I go and all the "old school" chevy guys are the only ones that know what it is. I was doing a hot lap showing it off to a friend when I rolled by the hobby store on the blvd. I stopped at the light right there and 5 guys came out of the store and begged me to pull over and show it to them. When I popped the hood everyone of them did a double take when they saw a v6 in it. They drooled on it for 30 min before I finally said I had to go. It is like that everywhere I go in it. So the lesson here is that if your looking for a daily driver that your not really going to show off in then the fab work and the motor build is not worth it. Daily drivers are best at gas milage, low profile, and dependability. If you want to show off, impress, or just love watching people break there necks to find out what that was than it's totally worth it. There are some sources out there that you can get the newer g180 that will bolt up to the 4 speed and you can make them run forever and have a great gas saver. I loved driving mine with the old motor in it. The only reason I did the swap was my motor died. You can also change the gears to get a little more top end. In the end you REALLY need to honestly understand what it is you want so when your done your satisfied or else it will never be what you wanted or expected.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:19 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

McLuvvin wrote:
juans74luvn wrote:

Mine came out of a 1992 chevy full-size. If you want some good power and do it cheap the best thing to do is get a motor around the same year (92 or older) that doesn't have too many miles on it and stick with the hydraulic camshaft upgrade. Comp makes a good cam and you can home port the heads. You'll have to get 96' heads as the old "swirl port" heads suuuuck. The intake will have to be swapped unless you get the computer for that motor, but once the heads are swapped it screws up the computer and you'll spend more time and money trying to figure it out. Carburetor is better. With mine I had some major oiling issues that I didn't know about until the motor lost all pressure. For mine I swapped in a mechanical cam and mechanical lifters with a high lift. This caused me to ditch the stock lifter retainer and I didn't realize that one of the bolts holding the retainer was not a blind hole and that the cam was such a high lift that the wheel on the lifter exposed the oil galley therefore it didn't build enough pressure. After chasing it down I had the lifter bores bushed and plugged one of the oil through holes on the lifter as well put a bolt in the retainer hole now it build 90 psi. Here is a little run down on cost and what you might do to get a little extra power (200-250 hp)

1. Head swap, home port. These are all over ebay for $100.00 plus $75 for a port kit and $200.00 to have the guides and seats freshened up
4. Good engine $600-$900
5. Gaskets $80
7. Transmission This varies depending on stick or auto. If your not a decent fab guy stick with the auto. The manual requires master and slave cylinder work as well as clutch and pressure plate.

There is a lot of fab work that goes into this and yes there are a lot of great articles here to help, but in the end you are the guy doing it and it takes time, money, and PATIENCE. It took me months to get the motor done but only a couple weeks to put it in the truck.

I have a blast when I drive it and everybody loves it. People stare at it everywhere I go and all the "old school" chevy guys are the only ones that know what it is. I was doing a hot lap showing it off to a friend when I rolled by the hobby store on the blvd. I stopped at the light right there and 5 guys came out of the store and begged me to pull over and show it to them. When I popped the hood everyone of them did a double take when they saw a v6 in it. They drooled on it for 30 min before I finally said I had to go. It is like that everywhere I go in it. So the lesson here is that if your looking for a daily driver that your not really going to show off in then the fab work and the motor build is not worth it. Daily drivers are best at gas milage, low profile, and dependability. If you want to show off, impress, or just love watching people break there necks to find out what that was than it's totally worth it. There are some sources out there that you can get the newer g180 that will bolt up to the 4 speed and you can make them run forever and have a great gas saver. I loved driving mine with the old motor in it. The only reason I did the swap was my motor died. You can also change the gears to get a little more top end. In the end you REALLY need to honestly understand what it is you want so when your done your satisfied or else it will never be what you wanted or expected.

Hey thanks for your reply I really appreciate it and you did make me understand what I really want I want people to break their necks and you all over mine Lol. That must be a great feeling. So when u said full size u where talking about a Silverado Right. I bet it must be fun to drive that lil beast around twon on a warm summer night. I think the best thing for me to do right now is to look for an engine. I do have some fab skills so ill go with what u suggested. Thanks alot ill start a thread when i start my project.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:32 pm 

juans74luvn wrote:
McLuvvin wrote:
juans74luvn wrote:

4. Good engine $600-$900
5. Gaskets $80

Hey thanks for your reply I really appreciate it and you did make me understand what I really want I want people to break their necks and you all over mine Lol. That must be a great feeling. So when u said full size u where talking about a Silverado Right. I bet it must be fun to drive that lil beast around twon on a warm summer night. I think the best thing for me to do right now is to look for an engine. I do have some fab skills so ill go with what u suggested. Thanks alot ill start a thread when i start my project.

Not a silverado. I think they came out with the silverado around 96 or 98. Mine was a C1500. You can get it out of a safari van too. They all had the heavy crank. It holds up a little better than the light crank. Good luck. Have you posted any pics of your truck?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:51 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I did but on a diff post. Ok so ill start looking and check junk yards for an engine. So you think ill spend ag least 2k on ths stuff u listed huh.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:04 pm 

Yeah at a minimum. Some of the other guys on the website have found some killer deals but I couldn't. I have spent over 8k doing mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:30 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Yea i believe you, looks like have you know. Well thank you man ill keep doing my research before I move it forward.