LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: looking for help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:27 pm 

I have an 80 chevy luv and wanting to keep the 4 cyl. The thing is ive seen the holden g180s run on youtube and cant find much info on how they get that much power in the little g180 motors. I would like to pull atleast 350whp out of mine. Any leads or info would be a great help. And no v8 swaps dont care for them sorry.

Post subject: Re: looking for help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:23 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

can find alot of info on that type of engine on the OzGemini forums, there is some decent power to be got out of these engines.

1976-1980 Isuzu tub for the luv or kb
Nissan GU Patrol
Ford Falcon AU ute

Never buy a car you cant push.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:31 pm 

Hi,

350hp is a pretty big ask of these little engines. To run a decent sized cam with any sort of compression you will need fly cut pistonsas a minimum. There are some some aftermarket rod/piston combos available to suit boosted applications but not cheap.

Spool can supply rods pistons.
http://www.spoolimports.com/spool-conrod-piston-packages/spool-g180-and-g200-conrod-and-cp-forged-pistons

Crow cams can supply camshafts, adjustable timing kits and valvesprings.
http://www.crowcams.com.au/media/catalogues/13.0A%20Gemini.pdf

There are other tricks, for more info try the following
http://www.ozgemini.com
http://www.turbogemini.com

Good luck,

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:56 am 

Thanks for the info guys. And yes 350hp seems to be alot. Check out yep 8s on youtube. He has a g180 740rwhp run 8.7 @153 in a 1/4 mile. So i think i can get it just going take a little time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:17 am 

Are you interested in other 4 cylinder motors or do you want to use the factory one? I know you said no v8 but their are readily available and easy to get 4 cylinder motors that are tangible and more affordable for most people to build.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:33 am 

You could just put a progressive nitrous controller and a 100 shot to find the limits of the driveline then decide if you want to go a different route. It's not your goal but 100 shot on a light truck like a luv could be pretty potent. I think that building a g series and trying to find a capatible and capable transmission is going to be key. A late model ecotec would be sweet and you'd have more driveline options. Your budget would be the ultimate deciding factor I assume.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:40 pm 

Yea i wanna stay with the g180. Just because not many people still run them. Its a long trem project. Just trying to stay with what i have and have fig out how to work on. It will be changed to efi and turboed. Just trying for input from others. Just looking and tryin to fi d what works.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:48 am 

80luvlewis wrote:
I have an 80 chevy luv and wanting to keep the 4 cyl. The thing is ive seen the holden g180s run on youtube and cant find much info on how they get that much power in the little g180 motors. I would like to pull atleast 350whp out of mine. Any leads or info would be a great help. And no v8 swaps dont care for them sorry.

I originally was going to do the g180 build but ended up settling on v6 swap. In my search for power I realized that the money was the big concern. The other posts showed where to get the parts and in order to get that power you'll have to turbo it. All the parts are available and to turbo it will be the easiest way otherwise you'll be buying a lot of custom parts that will require a lot of engineering on your part. Turbos and manifolds on ebay all day. Spool for the rotating assembly and crow for the cam. Intakes will be a little difficult but there are some dual side drafts available as well side Draft 50mm webers will support 500hp. I would luv to see that engine. Another difficult item will be finding studs for the mains and heads. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:37 pm 

Thanks for the tips. Still doing the research. Rodeo intake bolts on to the g180 for the efi just gotta find one cheap lol. Turbo manifold im going to make with help from a friend. Yea im going with spool for the rods and pistons. Gotta get another head to have it worked. Arp makes the head bolts. Gotta find a five speed and new rear gear going try a 355. If any one has anymore ideas please feel free to let me hear them. Thanks for all the help and info. And i will check crow out for the cam.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:53 am 
Addicted to LUV

Crow cam, either the 4ze1 2.6l intake or a turbo impulse intake with some dsm (eclipse/talon) bluetop 460cc injectors which drop in to the impulae intake not sure if 4z is the same ozgem guys will tell u., megasquirt 2 efi controller, garrett gt28 turbo, look for a used jdm nissan silvia turbo. Forged pistons well sized i/c maybe methanol injection etc, 15-20psi should put you near 300hp thats the route i was taking. Had impulse intake and exhaust mani with the stock rhb5 turbo and dsm injectors. Then sold that and built myself a 4.3 v6

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride