LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rear Axle Options
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:04 pm 
Addicted to LUV

well guys here I am with another opinion question
since im going rwd and I can get into more rear end swaps/gear options im looking into what the best options for rear axles are
there are quite a few options out there, ford 9" & 8.8", gm 12 bolt, s10 8.5 & 7.5, misc swaps like supra and corvette irs
what do you guys prefer? something with LSD options are always the best bet, disc brakes are a big +

I know explorers have 8.8's and the later 90's models have disc brakes and most have limited slip,
the ford 9" is pretty much invincible as far as anyone I have talked to had anything to say about them
the s10 7.5 doesn't seem like much of an improvement over stock unless there are LS options, the 8.5 they used in zr2's and such seems like a pretty stout axle,
older gm 12 bolt rears seem pretty comparable to the ford 9" so those are both pretty close as far as I can tell..

it seems like an explorer disc 8.8" with l/s should be really easy to find, tons of exploders in pretty much every picknpull. would have to have it narrowed a good 8" but Dutchmen axles are pretty much a requirement for any of these swaps after narrowing anyway.
what ya guys think is the best rear to swap into a luv in terms of availability of cores and gear ratio options with ls/posi

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Options
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:31 pm 
Addicted to LUV

9 inch and never repair it again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Luvrv8 wrote:
9 inch and never repair it again.

is there anything that came with rear disc and a 9"? I looked and found a lot of disc brake conversions for 9" rear for 370-430
the big plus I see with the 8.8 is that you can get them with some nice discs already on them with limited slip and just pay to narrow it and have new axles made. is there a big difference in strength between a 8.8 and a 9? unless I got some slicks and a good sized shot of nitrous I don't think my 4.3 is going to break anything beyond a stock rear

I have never seen the gm 8.5 in a yard under an s10 and I looked my last few times there so that's probably not an option.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Yes there was, check Lincoln. Ben had them on his truck that now is on another members truck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:13 pm 
da LUV masta

Late 60's and early 70's Ford wagons had the 9" disc brake rearend.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:08 am 
Addicted to LUV

The exploder discs work on a 9 with a bracket from speedway Motors...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:54 am 
Addicted to LUV

sweet deal, im going to have to keep my eyes out for one. one just sold locally for a good deal so hopefully I can get lucky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:03 am 
Addicted to LUV

Exploere disc are the budget way to go on a 9 inch E brake and all .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:50 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Did some research. The explorer 8.8 has bigger 31 spline axles than the rangers (4.0v6) 8.8 28 spline. Most have 3.73 and l/s. And 95+ have 11" discs. And apparently the axle tubes are held in with a plug of some kind so they can be removed to be shortened fairly easily and then welded in place. I did find that a few 70s lincolns have a 9" and discs but i guess the handbrake setup is weird on them? Im sure the explorer will be easier to find than the lincoln. Any of u guys run an 8.8 now or previously?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I am in the process of doing one as I get time. Using 2 factory short axles, it will be like 2-3 inches wider than the stock width rear... Look for the L on the tag for the locker. Not all have the locker. It should be 2 tags,the one on the passenger side will have the L, believe it is L73 for the 3.73. etc. The tag on the drivers side tells you what weight synthetic gear oil to run in it. Don't loose that tag...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:45 am 
Addicted to LUV

thanks for that info! I had heard about using two narrow axles/tubes and it takes about 3" off the overall width
will keep an eye out for the L73 taq im sure I can find one in picknpull the first one I looked at the other day had limited slip (spun the rotor to check rotation direction) and then just gotta dig around for another short shaft and tube, should be a pretty easy hunt :lol:
just need the money for the axle its $200 or so for one at picknpull, and I can get the short tube and axle and ditch the long one while im there.

now that I can get different size front and rear tires I can get a wider rear and a bit wider up front was looking around a 205/50 series front and a 245/50ish rear, 16" wheels, haven't decided for sure yet on tire sizes but that's ballpark 26ish rear and 25 front diameter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:05 am 
Addicted to LUV

look for the 3l73 and 4l10 As the L is "locker" rear. If there is just a space inbetween NO POSI/LOCKER

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:16 am 
Addicted to LUV

mytmouz wrote:
look for the 3l73 and 4l10 As the L is "locker" rear. If there is just a space inbetween NO POSI/LOCKER

thanks for clearing that up, wrote that down in my junkyard notes :lol: will make searching easy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:29 pm 

I agree the 8.8 is really stout. I personally know of a 1st gen lightning with the stock 8.8 that went low low 8s before it broke the axle tube welds and twisted the pumpkin to where the input yoke was pointed at the bed of the truck. The truck had a gear driven f1 procharger on the 377 Ford Racing aluminum block making 1500 whp. The same truck is now running 7.80s on fully welded tube 8.8 with new cam.

As far as the 7.5 goes they are stouter then people give them credit for. I personally know of a full weight 4th gen f-body on nitrous 4.10s 6 speed and drag radials that runs mid 10s on a girdled 7.5/7.625. 7.5s are very efficient and put power down very well if suspension is setup properly and don't do red line clutch dumps. 7.5s also came several widths from about 54 in hub to hub all the way to 63 inches in f-bodys and several in between with drums discs zexel lsds etc.

I personally would never run a 9 inch in anything light weight cause they eat power and weigh a lot more than a 10 bolt. The only way the 9 inch is superior to an 8.8 is that you can change gears stupid fast.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Please show me the facts that a 9 inch eats more power then other axels, yo make it sound like its a big differance. I have seen the Car Craft story and it is only 7 HP more but saves a lot do to less unsprung weight.

Last edited by Luvrv8 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

im not remotely close to that kind of power I would be surprised to see 240/270 out of it :lol: most of the stress my drivetrain sees is drifting breaking traction and such, it will go to the strip a few times for fun and to race my mom and see what kind of time it runs but it isn't being built for that. I just want to be sure that if later on down the road I decide to go nuts with it I don't have to get a different rear end again. i like the brake system on the disc 8.8 with the handbrake drum within the disc, abusing one saves the other :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

On the 8.8 cut the tube and reweld it . I wouldnt pul it out of the cast center section . Also pre heat and weld the tube to the center . It can be done , just had it done on my S-10 8.5 10 bolt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:22 pm 

Luvrv8 wrote:
Please show me the facts that a 9 inch eats more power then other axels, yo make it sound like its a big differance. I have seen the Car Craft story and it is only 7 HP more but saves a lot do to less unsprung weight.

I'm not sure what you are comparing a 9 inch in weight to but your the first person I've ever heard say a 9 inch is lighter than anything other than a 1 ton full floater. I did a search for the mentioned car craft article and everything I found said one of its disadvantages is its excess weight. About 40-50 lbs more fully dressed from my memory compared to a 12 bolt and it's a known fact that 9s eat more power. What I found is 3 % over 12 bolt GM and and I'm sure more like 5% over 7.5. I've seen several before after dynos of f-bodys switching to 9s and dropping from 500 wheel to 475-480 wheel. Granted there are a lot of variables on chassis dynos but this seems to be a consistent change. Compared to a 12 bolt it could be 7 whp. 8.8 is slightly less efficient as the 7.5 but way way way stouter. In my opinion 8.8 is the best all around but the 7.5 shouldn't be overlooked in milder builds. It's reasonably stout readily available cheap and very efficient which translates into higher whp and higher mpg.
A 9 has its place for circuit racing for quick gear changes according to tracks but I don't see any reason why a 8.8 won't take you as far as you'll ever need/want to go everywhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

How do I know the weights, I have built many modifieds. We tried all the axels out there and the 9 inch is what stayed together. We look at weights because in dirt racing one pound of un sprung weight is equal to three pounds of sprung weight.

Here is a article showing the 9 inch is lighter then a 12 bolt

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techa ... omparison/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:04 pm 

Luvrv8 wrote:
How do I know the weights, I have built many modifieds. We tried all the axels out there and the 9 inch is what stayed together. We look at weights because in dirt racing one pound of un sprung weight is equal to three pounds of sprung weight.

Here is a article showing the 9 inch is lighter then a 12 bolt

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techa ... omparison/

Pulled from above link ^
9 inch 177 lbs WITHOUT brakes
12 bolt 185 lbs fully dressed WITH drums
9 inch is heavier and you proved it.
That being said I agree that in modified dirt track and other circuit style races a 9 inch is useful and "practically" superior due to its quick gear change ability. I mentioned this in above post.