LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:40 am 

I'm looking to swap my 4speed trans for an automatic overdrive that will bolt on to my stock 1.8 motor can anyone help

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:07 pm 
Addicted to LUV

From your user name I'm guessing that you have a 75? If so there are not many trans options out there. The 76 and newer motor has a different bell housing design so everything that fits it would not fit a 75, and the motor mounts are substantially different so it is a large project to swap a 76+ motor into a 75 or older.

If yours is 76 or newer there are several ways to get a 5 spd stick in there, and I might have an idea for an auto that would have over drive. The Isuzu Impulse up to 1989 had an auto trans as an option and I believe it did have OD. I'm not sure how much that trans relies on the computer in the Impulse though. Might take some creativity to get it to work.

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:17 am 

Well I was hoping for better news but oh well I might just have to change motor and trans from something newer just cause v8's are gas eaters and I already have a few of those thanks anyways

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:31 am 
Addicted to LUV

800xl wrote:
The Isuzu Impulse up to 1989 had an auto trans as an option and I believe it did have OD. I'm not sure how much that trans relies on the computer in the Impulse though. Might take some creativity to get it to work.

Not just the Impulse, but the 2.6 Pickups had this. It's a good transmission, from what I've heard. It's a 4-speed auto. I think it's electronically controlled (as opposed to vacuum), but I'm told it wouldn't be hard to retrofit one if it would bolt up.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:15 am 
Addicted to LUV

I thought they put it in some pickups but I wasn't sure. I once looked at buying a Turbo Impulse with an auto, I probably would own it today except it wasn't a 5 speed. Probably still would have been fun.

A pickup would probably be a better choice to pick as a donor because I imagine the shifter and console would fit better. A LUV auto shifter might also be possible to make work but I don't know about that.

The biggest obstacle for a 75 is the motor mounts being different, but there are also quite a few small things to change out. You would be taking on almost as much of a project to swap a 76 or newer engine in as you would a V6 or V6. For fuel concerns I would probably look at an Isuzu 2.6 or 2.3L, but since you're replacing mounts and transmission the field is wide open. Maybe a 22RE Toyota could be good, probably a whole lot of options out there.

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol: