LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:26 am 

My 1980 4x4 is in bad shape. Engine and tranny are about shot. It is a standard and has a hard life and I just saved it from being crushed.

As this is my first Luv build, I am wondering what Engine and tranny combos would work best for a swap. What would fit with the least amount of modifications.

I have read a lot of people are swapping to Chevy 4.3 engines, but what transmission will work with that and still fit in the Luv. Wouldn't bother me if I have to swap to an automatic tranny.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:36 am 
Addicted to LUV

4x4 swaps are a tall order.

Least amount of mods would be another engine out of a luv or Isuzu pup. Others have done the small block chevy swap or the 4.3, but it isn't easy by any means.

powerbyace.com makes the mounts and headers for 4x4 luv engine swaps. Check with love4theluv. I think he has a 4x4 luv with a 4.3. He could probably help.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:52 am 
Addicted to LUV

The issue with a 4X4 swap is keeping it a 4X4. Many end up swapping the front axel due the the transfer case not aligning up too well with the transplant. I would personally look into the Isuzu 2.6 engine swap with the 5 speed trans. That will get you the bigger engine and still run the stock axels with a 5 speed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:43 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I would agree with the above posts im neck deep in my 4.3 4x4 swap and there are a good few headaches to deal with.
the engine fits in there great with the powerbyace mounts but im havin a lot of issues with the tcase fitment, im using a 700r4 because they are so easy to get a hold of, and a np208 tcase both from a 80's suburban because its the only one I could find that fit my tranny and had a passenger side front output, the trans fits pretty well but the tcase is enormous and I had to take a big section out of the crossmember to get it in there and am replacing it with a bolt in unit from the suburban that fits perfectly.. also not sure if my front driveline is going to clear my trans oil pan may have to bang it in a bit or have a driveshaft with a narrow section custom made.. lots of misc issues with the swap,. I think swapping a yota straight axle would save a lot of headache if ur gonna wheel it

check out the last few pages of my build thread below. I did a lot of unnecessary stuff but you could get a pre 92 (without the balance shaft) 4.3 pop on a 85 oem carb intake mani and qjet + the 85 hei distributor and make it run just fine
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22916

the Isuzu 2.6/2.3 is more or less a bolt in swap with its 5 speed and 4x4 case, I believe you have to cut out and reposition the crossmember a couple inches back but its going to be a LOT easier than making the 4x4 4.3 swap work. putting the 2.3 head on the 2.6 block will give you higher compression, the 2.6 is efi 2.3 is carbed so you will at least want the intake from the 2.3 and there are kits to put a weber on the 2.3 intake same as our 1.8's.
if you have any other questions feel free to PM me or quote something specific on my build thread

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:25 pm 

Thank you all for the information.

I had heard about doing the toyota axle swap too.

My friend has a salvage yard and auto shop. They are closing their doors for good and I have access to a large room full of engines, transmissions, and transfer cases. Going to pick through it before they crush everything this week. That's why I was asking about the swaps, wanted to know what to look for. Guess I have an idea, will see what I can find.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:40 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Man i would be like a kid in a candy store....

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Like what was said before, the 2.6 Isuzu is basically a bolt in, but it is fuel injected so you need the carb manifold for the 2.3. The 5 speed takes a little mod in the rear cross member, but the transfer case has the correct output sides for the stock LUV configuration. With that said if I came across a good Toyota engine/trans, axels etc I would look into that as well.

Here is some info on what mods are needed for the 5 speed conversion.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24535&p=192760&hilit=5+speed+transmission#p192760