LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:51 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

On San Diego craigslist, not mine, but it's a neat start. The guy has got to be a member of the forums...
I'm mostly posting this for the record. I want to do an electric conversion someday down the road after it becomes a bit more affordable.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/3990936597.html

He's asking $1000

FTA:
Quote:
"have a 144 volt electric motor that has been attached to a transmission from a 78 chevy luv. was going to make it an electric vehicle but had a new kid and don't have the time. need to get rid of it, price negotiable within reason. comes with mount, and throttle box. fly wheel has been machined and bolted with an adapter plate to attach to the face of the transmission. call me at 813-787-9904 if interested. -chris"

How would a home-builder go about limiting the torque that one of these motors is capable of supplying anyhow? I would think a big electric motor like that could melt that dinky little stock transmission's gears and not even suffer a hiccup in the process. Is there a controller between the motor and the gas pedal that modulates the power?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:18 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Have done a lot of research on converting, havn't built one yet. An electric motor makes more constant torque, however these smaller ones, not that much to break things. You also will have a controller. With the stock rear end your top end will be govern by the motors speed. A rear gear in the mid 3's will most likey be needed to go on the freeway.