LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Diesel spap
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:44 pm 

I am new to the forum and have always wanted a LUV. I really like the first gen loves. I have finally reachend the point where I can afford to get a truck. I really want a first gen fleet side 4x4 diesel. I have found some diesels, and some 4x4s but cant find one that is both. I am thinking of swaping out a gasser for a diesel. I think the stock diesel would be fine but would swap for another engine if its better/easier. Im not looking for power or speed, I just want a small 4x4 with decent mpg. How hard would this swap be? I cant find much info on it. Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: Diesel spap
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Welcome. You're not going to find a factory diesel in a 1st gen luv. They didn't exist. There are swap options available. I'm sure someone will chime in very shortly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:58 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The 4x4 requirement is what's going to cost you. If not for that, you'd have some options. But if you have to have 4x4, you have about one choice, and the donors are pretty scarce. You're looking for a C223 from a 4x4 Isuzu P'up, Trooper, or 2nd-generation LUV. It has to be from a 4x4 because the 2wd oil pan doesn't fit the 4x4 truck. I'm not even positive the 4x4 motor would the 1st-generation LUV, but if the frame and running gear are like the 2nd-gen, it should work.

Now, if you'd settle for a 2wd, you could use the 4FB1 1.8L motor from a Chevette or Isuzu I-mark. They're slightly lower in power, but with OHC, they're happy revving up to 5k RPM. And they bolt right up to the LUV transmission or about any gas Isuzu 5-speed. This motor was known for MPG in the mid-to-high 40 range in the Chevette and I-Mark cars.

There's also a nice 2.0L OHC turbodiesel that can be imported from Japan for about $2,500. It's the 4FC1. It should also bolt right up.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:15 pm 

Thanks for the data. I would prefer a 4x4 but would settle for a 2wd if I cant make it work. I have a full machine shop and can make adapters if necessary. Still looking for the easiest way but am willing to do some work to get what I want.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:00 am 
Addicted to LUV

machineman wrote:
Thanks for the data. I would prefer a 4x4 but would settle for a 2wd if I cant make it work. I have a full machine shop and can make adapters if necessary. Still looking for the easiest way but am willing to do some work to get what I want.

Seems to me, the hardest part of this quest is getting a decent 4x4 1st-gen LUV. The second hardest part is finding a donor for the 4x4 diesel engine. They seem more common than the 1st-gen 4x4. What part of the world are you in?

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:01 pm 
Addicted to LUV

So if the 4FB1 can bolt up to the standard LUV transmissions, that must mean the oil pan is the only issue keeping one from using it in a 4x4 LUV? That sounds like a problem that can be solved with a little cut and fab work on the pan from a 2WD 4FB1.

Finding a first gen 4x4 LUV seems like the easy part to me, but then I have 5 of them so I guess I'm special. ;) I did see a diesel I-Mark going fairly cheap on Craigslist around here a while back. Probably good I didn't know about the near bolt on compatibility or I would have bought it.

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

800xl wrote:
So if the 4FB1 can bolt up to the standard LUV transmissions, that must mean the oil pan is the only issue keeping one from using it in a 4x4 LUV? That sounds like a problem that can be solved with a little cut and fab work on the pan from a 2WD 4FB1.

Since I'm not very familiar with the 1st-gen LUV, I'm hesitant to say "only issue". ;) I can't even say for sure that it IS an issue, but I know the C223 2wd won't fit a 2nd-gen 4wd because of the oil pan (and the oil pickup inside). I assume the same issue would exist for the 1st-gen, and probably for the 4FB1. I learn something every day from folks here like oldestisuzuist. For example, I was unaware that the distributor location of the 4ZD1 is an issue until I read it here (from oldestisuzuist). So, caveat emptor! Free advice is worth the price. ;)
800xl wrote:
Finding a first gen 4x4 LUV seems like the easy part to me, but then I have 5 of them so I guess I'm special. ;) I did see a diesel I-Mark going fairly cheap on Craigslist around here a while back. Probably good I didn't know about the near bolt on compatibility or I would have bought it.
Then they're obviously much more common up there than down here. If you liked the 4FB1, you should have seen the 4FC1 that I drooled over for a few months. Someone finally bought it from the importer, and put it into his Mazda B-series extended cab truck. Then he joined IsuzuPup.com to make us all jealous. That engine has way more power than my C223, but is lighter and revs higher. What's not to love about that?!

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:21 pm 
Addicted to LUV

From the frame and drivetrain perspective (no body fitment considered) the 1st and 2nd Gen 4x4 LUVs are nearly identical. I think even the body mounts line up, but don't quote me on that. If the oil pan is a problem for the 2nd gens then it would be for a 1st gen as well. Wonder if anything else fits, I've got an impulse 4ZD1 oil pan and pickup tube.

This 4FB1 is sounding like an interesting swap. I'd like a diesel LUV but never really felt the same draw towards the 2nd gen body style. Not to mention finding a stock diesel LUV or PuP is tough and expensive. I remember seeing one on craigslist a few years back they were asking over $2000 for and they had fallen a tree on the cab crushing the roof down a foot or two.

I've seen several Imarks and chevettes going for more like $1k or less. Much more possible

Just brainstorming: I'm thinking 4FB1 motor, MUA 5spd 4x4 transmission with tera low crawl gears in the transfer case, maybe go to 4.56 gears and a larger tire size... Isuzu 12 bolt axle... stick the rear mounted fuel tank from a trooper in for waste oil and keep the stock tank for regular diesel maybe? Endless possibilities.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:47 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I've read that the 4FB1 responds well to a turbo (and is strong enough to take it). Unfortunately, there's not a good location to mount it on the I-Mark, as the brake booster gets in the way. I don't know if the 1st-gen LUV would offer more room, but it's something to think about.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:31 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I was thinking that too. :) For the off-road side of things some low low gears would make up for the low HP but a turbo sure would help.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:23 am 
da LUV masta

a stock 1.8L I-mark diesel in a 4wd will be a relaxing drive to say the least.
though a 2wd with the 4.55 gears would be a fun ride around town. but would be pushing 3.75K+ at around 65 with a direct drive trans 30" tires.

the 1.8L D is a high rpm engine red line of 5K 8O being SOHC its happy to run at 3 3.25K all day.
where as the 2.2 in the LUVs is more suited to the 2.2 2.5K range being OHV its a 4.2K redline. :o

even with a super drastic 50% increase over stock 58hp your still under 100hp so the 10 bolt would handle that with ease..

learned this from Jerry...
when ran soft the I-mark diesel can have a carbon issue, creating miss fire, low power.
jap tune up fixes it, put in deep gear and ram it to 5K for a few miles.

the term
Quote:
"JAP TUNE UP"
is a quote from Jerry :lol:
they sent a tech over from Japan and that's how he fixed them LOL

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!