LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 4x4 tranny swap
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:29 am 

K I have a 1980 Chevy Luv 4x4 1.8L, I'm rebuilding the engine and I got to thinking that it would be nice to have a 5 speed tranny then a 4 speed tranny and scent's the engine is out it would be easer to swap the tranny, I was hoping that someone might know what tranny will bolt in, I was thinking that a Isuzu pup tranny might fit but I'm not sure, cant seem to find much info on ether of these trucks. will any other 5 speed tranny's fit?

Post subject: Re: 4x4 tranny swap
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:36 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Within the Drivetrain Upgrades section there is a multi-page topic called "Isuzu Pup 5 Speed Swap?". Read it, most of your questions will be answered although this thread mostly applies to 2wd upgrades.
You will need a 5sp tranny from an '86 or '87 Trooper or 4x4 P'up with the 2.3L gas engine. It will bolt to your engine & uses the same clutch. You will need to fab & relocate the tranny support crossmember (& make it removable while at it), use the rear slip yoke from the new tranny & have both driveshafts fitted to length, cut new holes through the tunnel sheet metal for the shifters, other stuff like any swap involves.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:41 am 
Addicted to LUV

oldestisuzuist wrote:
Within the Drivetrain Upgrades section there is a multi-page topic called "Isuzu Pup 5 Speed Swap?". Read it, most of your questions will be answered although this thread mostly applies to 2wd upgrades.
You will need a 5sp tranny from an '86 or '87 Trooper or 4x4 P'up with the 2.3L gas engine...

I was thinking the '88 Trooper and _maybe_ Pickup also had a 2.3 with 4x4. I got a yoke from a 2.3 Trooper, and I thought it was an '88, but maybe it was an '87.
oldestisuzuist wrote:
use the rear slip yoke from the new tranny & have both driveshafts fitted to length, cut new holes through the tunnel sheet metal for the shifters, other stuff like any swap involves.

I think the 4x4 LUV should already have the right yoke, but regardless, I think the driveshaft will have to be shortened. Those yokes are REALLY hard to find, so if you find that 2.3 4x4, get the yoke even if you don't need it. Someone else will need it for the 5-speed 2wd upgrade.

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:20 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

'86 & '87 were the only two years for the 4x4 5sp MSG/2.3 combination for pickups or Troopers. '88 on 4x4 5sp all used some form of the MUA tranny & the 2.3 engine was only used in 2wd trucks after '87.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:21 pm 
Addicted to LUV

oldestisuzuist wrote:
'86 & '87 were the only two years for the 4x4 5sp MSG/2.3 combination for pickups or Troopers. '88 on 4x4 5sp all used some form of the MUA tranny & the 2.3 engine was only used in 2wd trucks after '87.

Then I guess that Trooper that I got the yoke from must have been an '87.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:39 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Check some of my posts and you will find pic's and info on the 5 spd. swap. If you find an 86-87 Trooper grab it as there are alot of other parts that will work on your 4x4 LUV.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:01 pm 

thank you guys so much this will help me so much I will hunt down a 86 or 87 trouper. thanks so much now I know were to start :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I Luv my truck wrote:
...I will hunt down a 86 or 87 trouper...

Don't pass up an '86 or '87 4wd P'up. I once found an '86 SpaceCab 4wd in a salvage yard. At the time, nobody was looking for this transmission, so it eventually got crushed. :(

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:00 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Is there any reason to think an 88 and up MUA 4x4 5 spd from behind a 2.6L wouldn't fit? IIRC the bell housing pattern is the same as the MSG hooked to the 2.3L.

The MSG is a very straightforward swap into a LUV, with mostly bolt up parts other than crossmember/mounts and rear driveline. I think if you take the front driveline from the donor Trooper it will even fit the LUV. If you are looking for the 5 spd with the fewest difficulties it is definitely the way to go.

I was just thinking for the sake of available transmissions the MUA is much more common. Also speaking from experience of doing clutch work on both, the MSG is MUCH heavier without being stronger than the MUA. You would have to locate all the parts for a hydraulic clutch master cylinder, piping, and pedal though.

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

800xl wrote:
Is there any reason to think an 88 and up MUA 4x4 5 spd from behind a 2.6L wouldn't fit? IIRC the bell housing pattern is the same as the MSG hooked to the 2.3L.

The MSG is a very straightforward swap into a LUV, with mostly bolt up parts other than crossmember/mounts and rear driveline. I think if you take the front driveline from the donor Trooper it will even fit the LUV. If you are looking for the 5 spd with the fewest difficulties it is definitely the way to go.

I was just thinking for the sake of available transmissions the MUA is much more common. Also speaking from experience of doing clutch work on both, the MSG is MUCH heavier without being stronger than the MUA. You would have to locate all the parts for a hydraulic clutch master cylinder, piping, and pedal though.

I've read that the MUA is quite a bit larger, and I assumed heavier. The MUA should be quite a bit stronger, as it's used for the 2.6 and the larger (2.8L & 3.1L) diesels. And yes, it has the hydraulic clutch system.

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:17 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The 4x4 MSG has a lot more cast iron in the case. I think the bell and trans case are aluminum but the transfer case shell is a big hunk of cast iron and heavy as can be. I believe the MUA case is entirely aluminum with some cooling fins built into the transfer case. I redid the clutch in a 2.8L Trooper and then shortly after did the clutch on my 86 2.3L Trooper. The MSG was an easy 50lbs or more heavier to lift, and of course gave me much more trouble with getting it lined up going back in the truck. The MUA slid right on, the MSG I had to get under 8O and push/pull it back and forth until I could get bolts in it.

I think in a stock height truck the MUA would need trans tunnel mods in a LUV, but with a couple inches of body lift it should clear. The 88-91 Troopers have a much bigger trans hump than the 86 I have.

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol: