LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 80 luv a-arm conversion
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:16 pm 

Hey guys and girls. New guy here. I have a 80 luv. Tubbed to 24inches, 9"rear with 4.10s and spool. Running a ladder bar set up. Built 350 turbo with brake and 4000vig stall. Engine is a 412sbc est 550-600hp. The front suspension is converted over to an s-10 a arm that has been modified to work with the lower. i'm wanting a tubular upper, lower and coil over set up. When I built the truck I didnt realize how little travel there was in the torsion suspension. I have almost zero weight transfer and hooking is a bit of an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:19 am 
Addicted to LUV

Is the lupper a arm the s10, and the lower still the stocker? I have coil overs on front of mine and I have some custom tubular lowers. The uppers I modified a tubular upper for a Gbody mailbu from Speedway Motors. I used the shortest adjustable tubes they offered, shortened one of those by cutting the threaded length down slightly on each end, and sectioned the center bar between the 2 attachment bolts to mimic the stock mount. I have MustangII spindles though...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:31 am 
Addicted to LUV

cknechtly wrote:
Hey guys and girls. New guy here. I have a 80 luv. Tubbed to 24inches, 9"rear with 4.10s and spool. Running a ladder bar set up. Built 350 turbo with brake and 4000vig stall. Engine is a 412sbc est 550-600hp. The front suspension is converted over to an s-10 a arm that has been modified to work with the lower. i'm wanting a tubular upper, lower and coil over set up. When I built the truck I didnt realize how little travel there was in the torsion suspension. I have almost zero weight transfer and hooking is a bit of an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you take the bumpstops out the travel increases alot .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:00 pm 

Where we modified the upper a-arm from the s10 spindle the wheels come way in at the bottom when you lift the truck and i'm afraid its goin to bind the ball joints when the truck comes back down.....this is without the bump stops. Guess i'm just afraid of going for that ride if it snaps. Any thought on that?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:03 pm 

mytmouz wrote:
Is the lupper a arm the s10, and the lower still the stocker? I have coil overs on front of mine and I have some custom tubular lowers. The uppers I modified a tubular upper for a Gbody mailbu from Speedway Motors. I used the shortest adjustable tubes they offered, shortened one of those by cutting the threaded length down slightly on each end, and sectioned the center bar between the 2 attachment bolts to mimic the stock mount. I have MustangII spindles though...

Yes the upper is the s-10 and the lower is stock...s10 spindle. Where did you have a custom lower a arm made at? I appreciate the advice. I'm at a stand still until this is resolved.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:35 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Unfortunately, you can't rely on the guy on here that made them. I got another guy to make me a set after a 14 month wait on the set from the first guy, and got both sets the same week. I have a contact to make some, but he wants a truck in his shop in CA to do the mock up on, and I have not found anyone local to him on this board to respond back. Ended up with the caster being wrong with the tubulars that were made (due to being made off stock arms I sent to them, and why the new guy wants a truck in his shop). And modded the ones in the pic to work. Normal for the bottom of the tire to go in when lifted due to the travel of the suspension. Not sure what yours looks like though...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Where in ca is he

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:02 am 

mytmouz wrote:
Unfortunately, you can't rely on the guy on here that made them. I got another guy to make me a set after a 14 month wait on the set from the first guy, and got both sets the same week. I have a contact to make some, but he wants a truck in his shop in CA to do the mock up on, and I have not found anyone local to him on this board to respond back. Ended up with the caster being wrong with the tubulars that were made (due to being made off stock arms I sent to them, and why the new guy wants a truck in his shop). And modded the ones in the pic to work. Normal for the bottom of the tire to go in when lifted due to the travel of the suspension. Not sure what yours looks like though...

Wow. Yeah, dont think i want to wait 14mo. I know its normal for the tires to go in but it looks to be a little much. I'll take my camera to my shop this weekend and get some pics of the truck i'm sure that would help a lot. I've got a few videos I can load up also. A few concentrated just on the front, some on the back and some of the whole truck. You can see the truck just trying to pick the front up theres just no travel. Best 60ft was a 1.55 and it picked both the wheels even at 2 to 3 inches......but when i concentrated on the rear suspension i noticed that the 28in tire made 4 complete rotations in a 2ft span.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:37 am 
Addicted to LUV

Luvrv8 wrote:
Where in ca is he

Oroville. Here is the thread I started...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26490&p=194414&hilit=members#p194414

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:43 am 
Addicted to LUV

I have 5-6 inches of travel with stock and the bump stops removed . Front wheel angles do change through the travel . I would like an upgraded a arm , but there just isnt a market for them . I have been 1.49 on motor with a 28 true.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:45 am 

hotrod80 wrote:
I have 5-6 inches of travel with stock and the bump stops removed . Front wheel angles do change through the travel . I would like an upgraded a arm , but there just isnt a market for them . I have been 1.49 on motor with a 28 true.

Your truck is beautiful. Hoping to have pics of by tomorrow. I live in OH so i dont get to see many luv trucks. Most of them around here are in a pile of rust. Jealous of all you guys out west.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:16 pm 

I have 5-6 inches with stock torsions and bumpstops. Been 1.42 60ft with 3500 stall and no transbrake 8.6 inch ET Street Tires.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:55 am 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:46 am 
Addicted to LUV

What front shock is that ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:28 am 

Looks like a lakewood 90/10. not sure about length tho.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Never mind...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:17 pm 

Yes it is a 90/10 lakewood....i'm not even sure of the travel on it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:59 pm 
Addicted to LUV

cknechtly wrote:
Yes it is a 90/10 lakewood....i'm not even sure of the travel on it

Just asking what the original application was .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:50 pm 
Jedi Pimp Master

A little off the original topic but still pertinent, in another thread I pointed out that the front track(wheel to wheel center) is over 2.5" wider than the rear. I would really like to move my front wheels inboard to the front and rear track are the same. This would allow me to drop my truck lower on the "stock" suspension. So the thought of building tubular A arms to do that is appealing. Back in the '80's there was a guy here who would fishplate two lower A arms to change the length and allow dropping 1/2 ton Chevys but still being able to align them.

I wonder if building a tubular or modifying stock would be feasible?

SRAD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:21 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Tubulars can be built. I have them. I had them made 1 inch narrower per side for the reason you stated. Tie rod length becomes an issue, and if you run coil overs it becomes a very tight fit. It can be done though...

FIAA!

SFPP!