LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:49 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Hello,

A number of years back I purchased a 5 speed greabox and xfer case from a Trooper in a junkyard. Well, as my truck has been sitting for some time, I have need of it now, and through a series of blessed events I am nearly able to put it back together. I pulled the trans out of storage to see if it would fit, and to examine its condition.

I also checked the ratios, as someone here told me the original 4 speed in the LUV would probably have a better highway ratio than the Troopers. This was not the case at all. In the trans foe the LUV, it has a true 1:1 output in 4th gear. In the trooper, the gearing is more oriented to highway driving, which is exactly what I need.

So I want to use this transmission. Bellhousing patterns line up perfectly. Output shaft fits perfect, and I believe the front differential prop shaft will also fit.

The clutch, however, is for a juice clutch for the Tropper, and a cable clutch for the Luv. I saved all the cable clutch stuff (Though I am not sure if I still have it!) as it does not look like there is any sort of interchangeability between the two, though if I am forced to, I will rig something up.

I found out why the Trooper (MUA5) trans wasn't shifting into 4x: An idler bearing had grenaded and took 1/4 of all of the internal gears and bearings with it.

Does um... anyone want to donate an MUA5 xfer case to the cause? Are they prone to grenading? It would be swell to not be driving at 6,500 RPM at 55MPH in my truck, adding to my tinnitus.

8O

Side by side. The dirtier one is from my LUV truck, the result of a poorly sealing shifter boot.

Bellhousings the same.

I thought maybe I could attach the xfer case from the LUV to the Trooper 5 speed, but looking at it that is impossible. The Trooper uses a 3 piece assembly and the LUV is a totally different 2 piece.

Inside the xfer case: There were once teeth on this gear. Please also notice the distinct lack of the inner parts of the bearing immediately to the right. Only the outer race remained.

Notice the condition of the teeth on this gear.