LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:00 pm 

Has anyone ever done this swap? If so, any details about mounts, adapters, trannys, radiators,etc.? I was at the Portland swap meet recently, and saw a couple of these engines for sale; seems like a great idea.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:37 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Range Rover bought the rights to this engine, used it in their vehicles in increasing displacement for years.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:34 am 
Addicted to LUV

Good little engine. Very light weight. Yes RR bought the from GM. Their is a difference between the Buick and olds engine. You will have to fab mounts
The GM versions will use a BOP automatic transmission, the standard transmission will need the 215 parts. Unless the engine was cheap, it may be a all deal to go with a RR engine. The all aluminum engine can rust bad in too.many years. Yes the engine will rust because of contact with metal parts. Just like a John boat.
Check ebay on parts and engines, check net on info. I was going to use a.215 in a Vega many years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:46 pm 

I have 8 of these engines. One is in a '70 MGBGT, another in a '78 Toyota Celica, I put one in a Vega back in the late 70's and have plans to put one in a Volvo 242 GT. If anyone need parts, I have TONS.
Fortunately, the Rover stuff directly interchanges with the Buick/Olds engines. They are so light - 70 lbs (empty block) that they can move a small vehicle pretty impressively.
I was going to post some pics - how do you attach one from a computer file?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The original 215 aluminum V8 appeared in the Buick Special and Skylark models, while the Old's version was offered in the Olds F-85, Cutlass, and Jetfire models as well as the Pontiac Tempest.

The Buick version used only five bolts per cylinder to mount its heads, and the heads had a combustion chamber following contemporary Buick practice. The heads were also angled "upward" to create a "flat top" look common to Buick engines of the day. Buick altered compression ratios via piston height and design. You can bolt a Buick head to an Olds block.

Olds engineers went their own route with cylinder head design, preferring a Chevy small block-like combustion chamber and an extra bolt (six in all) around each cylinder to mount the head. The valve cover was also more conventional looking. (Ken Costello built his first MGB V8 using an Olds engine picked up in Belgium !). The valve train is also different. Old used different heads with the same pistons to produce higher compression ratios. An Olds head will not work on a Buick block because of the extra head bolts. For performance applications, you'll want either 829 heads (10.25:1 C.R. for '61-'62 4 bbl auto and manual cars, '63 4 bbl manual cars), or 534 heads (10.75:1 '63 4-bbl automatics). Two bbl heads (No. 746) have low compression ratios and aren't suitable for any performance work.

http://www.aluminumv8.com/index.htm