LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: trans problems
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:17 pm 

well i have been asking on hear if the rear end will handle the 350 im going to put in it but my grandfather point out to me today that if i change motors and trans the 4x4 shaft on the front end will be on the wron side as most other trans's will be so what should i do?? plz help!!

Post subject: Re: trans problems
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:28 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

if your dropping in a 350 turbo 300 4x4 trans um sas (single axle swap) on the front and a rear axle swap both with the same gear ratio of course...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:14 am 

well of course im talking about the transfer case in on the wrong side most shafts on the transfer cases are on the driver side but my transfer case in on the right side (pasenger side)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:26 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

You will have major problems fitting a sbc into a 4x4 chassis, the front axle assembly makes it near impossible for the oil pan to clear. The stock LUV rear will stand up to normal v8 power up to a point- it is about the same strength as the GM 7.625" 10-bolt found in Camaro's & the like and in S-10 4x4 fronts. When you add low range to the v8 it becomes even less suitable, & the bigger the tires the more likely to fail. However, the rear is not the big problem, it's the front differential. Not only is it in the way of the engine but it is smaller and weaker than the rear differential and is even more likely fail with v8 power. If you go with the stock 4x4 driveline you have to accept it's limitations.
As for the t-case, before the mid '80's most 4x4's had passenger-side drop, so there are numerous t-cases that will bolt directly to a Turbo 350 that have the output on the proper side.
If you are set on a v8 4x4 LUV the best way to go is start with a 4x2 chassis, add a solid axle front, matching rear if you want, and the tranny/t-case of choice. You should be able to sell a usable 4x4 for more than a 4x2 costs, there is less to the front suspension to cut out & toss in a 4x2 & the engine compartment has the same room as after the front 4x4 diffy is removed, so it will be easier & cheaper to start with a 4x2 than modify a 4x4.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:25 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

You have already recieved the best information available, but herre is a little more. Almost all 4 X 4 mini truck conversions before factory units were available used Jeep axles, front and rear. You just have to weld in front spring perches and mate the trans to the correct adapter. good luck