LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: buick v6 in to 75 LUV
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:36 am 

ok hears the go im from australia and have a 2x4 long tray 75 luv with a hot 1600 and 4 speed. in my shed i hav a fully re built buick 3.8l injected v6 out of what we call a holden commodore from 1988-94 this engine is ment to be the same block and botem end as the old turbo one from USA, iv hear that with an adapetr plate you can ues the mounts out of the luv and sit the engine on that keeping in mind a commodore is very USA and hardly anything was changed, so the question is what do i do befor i rip apart a runing LUV?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:05 am 
Addicted to LUV

Check out the information section on the main page at http://www.luvtruck.com - There are drawings of Buick v6 motor mounts.

Several people here have done the Buick 3.8 swap. Try doing a search.

You'll need a transmission with a BOP bellhousing. You'll need a better cooling radiator. A rear end with taller gears would be beneficial, but not completely necessary.

I had a 78 luv once with a 3.8. It was fun. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:41 pm 

iv got the picks from the link but if anyone has a real life one pleas post it thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

http://www.chevymetalhead.net/trucks/luv/motor.htm

That link has some pics of Tilted's buick 3.8 install. Hopefully someone else will chime in who has done this.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:55 pm 
Feel the Steel

I really dont have a lot of pics of my install or mounts as when I did it, it was way before digital cameras (over 20 years ago). My mounts were from Autofab in California and everything was bolt in. I can snap some current pics if you need them.

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:56 am 

I am also from aus and started doing the 3.8 swap. I have decided to bag now so redoing stock crossmember completely for gbox and made new mounts to lift it from first mounts I used. I brought gearbox and engine mount from v6 conversions, I advise against it as it involved cutting and welding for engine mounts when he said it didn't and gearbox mount was also to short unless you want your engine hitting firewall. If you don't mind welding and cutting a bit on the chassis (nothing major i did it in 15 mins) then buy his mounts but make a gearbox mount. I'm using a 5speed t5 with Ef falcon LSD shortened. Jump on tassieslowest.com and search construction zone I might have pics there if not pm me on there il take some

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:35 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

The Hooker engine mounts that are still around will fit either a Buick v6 or a chevy V8. Don't know exactly where you could find them, Summit Racing on line used to carry them.
Be careful of one thing and that is upgrading the rear end ratio or go to a automatic overdrive transmission when you do the swap. Buick engines have a limited oiling system and subsequently do not like to run at 4K rpms like your old Luv engine would! I have installed many of the 231 V6 engines in mini trucks and several of them could not sustain high engine rpms. The lifters would start to clatter from low oil pressure within a few miles of 70+ mph driving. I have heard of modifications to the Buicks that will greatly improve their oiling systems, might be a good idea to check these out first. Good luck,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:35 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Do you have a game plan on how you're going to keep the fuel injection system? Or are you going to go with a carb setup with a conventional distributor?
In either case, this would be the biggest headache to deal with. In my opinion, Buick V-6s are neat as hell in a LUV truck. The power increase makes it worthwhile and once the motor is correctly fitted to the engine bay, It's a perfect fit!
Yes, the oiling system isn't the greatest but it will do the job. There are typical Buick mods that can be done to the oiling system to make it a little better.
The cooling system MUST be adequate to do the job. They will run hot and having stock rear gears with an automatic transmission compounds the problem.
As for the motor mounts, 75 LUV trucks came with the early motor. Your original mount brackets on the frame are a few inches forward of the shock tower/crossmember. The later motor has mounts on top of the crossmember. The direct, bolt on adapters are for the later LUVs. The mounts from the drawing are for the early motor LUVs. Also, some V-6 oil pans will clear the removable crossmember. Some will not. The oil pan may need to be modified to clear the crossmember. I've had to do that a couple of times on my truck.
You'll need a custom driveshaft. The stock LUV driveshaft is most likely a smaller diameter than the Holden. Basically, you'll need a Holden setup at the trans and a LUV setup at the pinion. The extra mods needed to get things right are more than worth it.

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:30 pm 
da LUV masta

The Buick oiling problem can be solved! Go to TA Performance.They can get you the parts and the know how on beefing up the oiling system! Engine Master's has covered this in some of there builds. The timing cover can be modified to make a better oiling system!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:37 am 

So I have had a Buick V6 in my 73 LUV for at least 20 years in 1 form or another. I drove the truck with the original 4 cyl and ran on propane with a flatbed, not really the chick magnet but it worked on a few. Anyhow in my current form its a TA performance aluminum short block with GN1R heads and manifold. TA performance really knows their stuff I have been running in the 9 second range for the last 6 years and this year in the high 8 second range all with a single 76mm Turbonetics turbo and 23 PSI.
I really need to update my pics on the web site hopefully soon. Let me know if you have any Buick questions cause I've been there done that from naturally aspirated, NOS, ATI Procharged and finally turbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:07 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Use the hooker drawings on the opening page for the V6. From that you can build something really clean. The V8 mounts do not fit the V6, V6 mount is narrower where it goes onto the mount and will not be in the right place. Take the stock trans mount, cut it off, weld on a 2" piece of angle approx 1"+ lower and bolt the trans to it. The trans mount is 2" further back on the 700R4 than the TH350. The few Buick V6s I did, I never made and blueprints for them. For additional ideas you can look at the pics on http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww314/OldRob/
In the US there is a stock pan that has the sump more to the rear and should clear the crossmember. Stock V6 exhaust with a slight angle mill should work well. Get the later model radiator and have it recored to 3 rows for cooling unless you're somewhere where it get over 100*. Use a 180 degree thermostadt. Locate a 700R4 trans for now and later you could swap in later LUV third member 4:10. Also not tire diameter affects final gearing.