LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:06 pm 
Addicted to LUV

very nice glad to hear its workin out for ya after all
the chasing down parts back and forth has to be a pain tho!

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:33 pm 

You know it really has been. It's all comming to an end now though. The hardest part is that isuzu never really had that strong of a following so digging up info on a 25+ year old car makes it really tough. That and lazy parts people. I have found in my troubles that 99.9% of isuzu anythings in 80's had an 8.5in cluth disk. The .01% that didn't is the impulse with it's 8 7/8in clutch disk. You wouldn't believe how many places list a 8.5 in clutch for it. Well I think I'm finally past all that and I hope this post hangs around so if anyone else is foolish enough to try this after me they can save them selves some trouble. Now for what eveyone really wants...pics!
Here is the engine and clutch together
here is a shot of all the washers we had to stack to make the pressure plate work.
here is one of the engine stabbed showing how close it is to the firewall. I'm not sure how it's going to work out with the
exhaust right next to the heater core inlet / outlet. I figure I'm going to need some heat tape and maybe a heat shield.
this is the other side with the dizzy out so i can see where i need to bash it in at.
thats it for now. I pulled off the exhaust / turbo to do a little work on it all. All the vac / heater lines need to be replaced. I'm going to take off the turbo tubes because when they were packed in the Impulse they had to snake all over the place to make it fit but now that it's in the LUV I can run a much more direct setup that should help out flow a lot. Not really sure where I'm going to pack the oil cooler or the air to air intercooler yet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Crinos96 wrote:
You know it really has been. It's all comming to an end now though. The hardest part is that isuzu never really had that strong of a following so digging up info on a 25+ year old car makes it really tough. That and lazy parts people. I have found in my troubles that 99.9% of isuzu anythings in 80's had an 8.5in cluth disk. The .01% that didn't is the impulse with it's 8 7/8in clutch disk. You wouldn't believe how many places list a 8.5 in clutch for it. Well I think I'm finally past all that and I hope this post hangs around so if anyone else is foolish enough to try this after me they can save them selves some trouble. Now for what eveyone really wants...pics!
Here is the engine and clutch together
here is a shot of all the washers we had to stack to make the pressure plate work.
here is one of the engine stabbed showing how close it is to the firewall. I'm not sure how it's going to work out with the
exhaust right next to the heater core inlet / outlet. I figure I'm going to need some heat tape and maybe a heat shield.
this is the other side with the dizzy out so i can see where i need to bash it in at.
thats it for now. I pulled off the exhaust / turbo to do a little work on it all. All the vac / heater lines need to be replaced. I'm going to take off the turbo tubes because when they were packed in the Impulse they had to snake all over the place to make it fit but now that it's in the LUV I can run a much more direct setup that should help out flow a lot. Not really sure where I'm going to pack the oil cooler or the air to air intercooler yet.

man that motor looks good in there 8)

and thats one of the things i love about the luv other than looking epic. they have way more open space under the hood than a lot of 4 cylinder vehicles, especially without the emissions junk. i always thought if i was to run a turbo in mine the intercooler would end up up front down a bit low with bumper modification to let a bit more air by.
oil cooler heck who knows. if you have one with a little electric fan you can put it pretty much anywhere, maybe closer to the side behind the grill in the open space? the radiator doesnt take up the whole front end width :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:57 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Are you sure about washers on a pressure plate?

A.j.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

dr_frankenstein56 wrote:
Are you sure about washers on a pressure plate?

A.j.

that was my thought too. if they are a good strong high grade washer and they are torqued right it SHOULD hold out. it would be ideal to be able to pull the motor after its been run a bit and check if they are still tight but thats a lot of effort. Loctite...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:56 pm 

Way ahead of you. The washers are grade 8 and we did torque and locktite them so I should be good. Also if it goes out and I have to pull it then I am going to swap it with a heavy duty custom one better suited for off road use. I only kept this one because I paid for it almost a year ago and hate to see it go to waste.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:24 pm 

ITS IN!!!! Well the 2.0 and I did battle this weekend, but in the end only one of us could win....
It really REALLY didn't want to go but I managed to get it all to line up just right. Here is pic of what I had to do to the perches. My friend welded up the old holes and milled out some new ones from my best guess last time I had the engine and trans mated.
Now after that I "adjusted" the firewall back some. Later I found out that where I had it marked was with the trooper mounts and the luv engine mounts are less than half as tall so my first bashing was way too high
Here is how close the dizzy is to the firewall. I got it in but I will need to "adjust" it a little more because right now you can't turn the dizzy any.
Shot of the driver side
Here is the pass side. The remote oil adaptor is a hair from hitting the frame/mount. I'm sure bad things will come from this but that is a problem I will deal with when the time comes.
This is also something I'm worried about. The coolant in line for the heater core will be line half an inch from the exhaust. Hope I don't melt some hose!
Well thats it for now. In the next few days it should really get rolling, now it's on to the easy stuff!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:17 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You should be able to use some of the high tempature covering like Jegs and others sells. A sheet matel piece could help like they used on some Chevy BB starters.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:55 pm 

Thats what I was thinking. Well now I'm working on this computer. The thing holding me up is the fuel injectors. Looking at the wire diagram I can't figure out how this resistor goes inline with them. They are low ohm so if I don't put it in there they will draw too much current and fry my ecu. Looking to the JR guys for help with this one. After that is settled I should have at least a short demo of it running and maybe rolling down the driveway! Getting close now!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:15 pm 

Wow crap a new post!! Ok here is where the project stands now. After hours and hours of searching I could not come up with a good pin out of the ECM. I had 3 that all said they were for that year and make but each had a different pin out in different areas. The consern is the fuel injectors require a resistor to be inline with them or they will draw too much current and fry themselves and/or the ecm. After getting a resistor pack I found I was missing more sections of the harness the freaking scrap yard didn't pull for me. They really REALLY did not give me what I asked for. I had to hold off progress because i did not want to damage that ecm because I had no freaking idea where I could get another one. Well after a LOT of craigslist I have found a complete 85 impulse to pull the FULL harness/sensors from, and yes I am already parting the car out. The intake, exhaust and turbo are sold. I have the limited slip rear end up for sale but if no one wants to buy it that will end up being my next project.....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

have you made any more progress on the luv?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:10 pm 

I'm baaaaacccckkkkk....... So after a VERY long break the turbo luv is back on the front burner full swing cocked locked and ready to rock! Mostly.... Here is a quick update. Now during my downtime when I was unable to work on the luv I never stopped buying parts or trying to fix problems. I had to figure out what to do about the oil cooler. With the lines on the filter adapter it was too close to the frame for comfort. I was able to source one from a trooper that mates right up and clears everything. No more cooler but maybe one day down the road. Next was the ignition coil driver guy. One from rock auto was going to be $127. As this is a budget build I couldn't spend that much on what looked to be such a simple part. I was able to find a picture of one online and enlarged the picture enough to get the part number on the driver. I got a bag of 10 of them for $3. I built a heat sink for it and boom good to go. I also had to replace the banjo ends for the turbo connections because mine broke but they were also cheap. I was also having trouble with the injector impedance and the resistor but a friend from work who will be helping me get this done has a set of ford green tops he is going to give me so no more trouble there. I'm really down to just the nuts and bolts of it and anything short of internal engine damage I should have this done by the end of June!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:15 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Good to see you back at it.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:47 pm 
Addicted to LUV

very nice!! ready to see this thing going!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:24 am 

You and me both! The luv and I went through some dark times but I think we may just make it. I'll start posting pics again as things start rolling... Now I just have to wonder if the rest of the truck is going to fall apart....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:23 am 

Just wanted to give another update. I have not quit on this and have been making progress just not all the sort I wanted. I replaced the oil cooling adapter with one from a trooper that removes the cooler lines and just has the filter. I was never able to find a good way to make the other adapter clear. I was getting close to starting the engine so I started to go over some final checks. Turns out they were all bad.... I found out that all my fuel injecters were junk. All but one was stuck. I did eventually get them all to work but after all this time I wasn't going to trust some sketchie injectors. I got 4 new ones from rock auto for $80 so no big deal. I finshed the wire harness and was going to install my coolent sensors, map sensors, ect.... and found my intake gaskets were all in really bad shape so I pulled all that apart. After that I checked out my distributor and guess what....it wasn't working!! The impulse used a optical distributor and mine was dead. $179 from rock auto but did some digging and found I could get one out of a 90's nissan maxima for $9.99 at the bone yard. I have the intake back on, the injectors back in and will be putting the turbo on soon I hope. I just got a new job so I'm a bit busy now but I'm making time when I can. I also went and got myself another luv in much better shap to put my engine into. Pics to follow soon!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

man that is a heck of a string of bad luck but at least you are almost there and have a little bit of additional income to keep it going. are you close to firing it up now that you got the wiring sorted out? im want to hear it run and see how that turbo spools up

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:37 pm 

Yes I am close. I need to re bolt the turbo and connect the oil and coolant lines and few other vac lines a such. Since I am no longer going to be using the truck that it is in I am just going to hot wire it to run and then swap it all over to the other truck. It's getting down to the wire. I really hope to have it at least running by the time the days start getting below 50. I lose all interest in projects when it gets too cold out..... I guess I could get off my lazy butt and clear a spot for it in the shop but what are the odds of that? Also given that every part I have tested has failed I have VERY little faith that it will both start AND stay running the first few times. I expect sparks, smoke, cursing, oil, crying, insane laughter, and maybe even a little crying before I get this bastard really going.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:00 am 
Addicted to LUV

oh yeah im sure you will get down the whole frustration checklist, along with a good maount of banging your head on the wall. are you using the stock computer for the engine?
after my swap I spent another 3 months fixing little bugs, I still have an oil leak on the back of my intake but I just don't care enough to take it back apart right now

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:15 pm 

So...I just won't let it die. I decided to double down and get serious about this project. I was looking at my slow stalled attempt at my swap and decided it was foolish to put a $1000+ engine I have worked so hard on into a farm truck I paid $300. I started looking and found a truck. I think it was posted here for a while and also on craigslist. The body is in GREAT shape. Between the old truck and new I will be able to make one amazing truck. After that I started talking to a friend of mine who builds cars for a living. I decided to put my pride away and get this truck done. He is working on my truck when he can between other things to help keep costs a low as he can. I am going down to his shop to help when I can. Huge progress has been made and it will now only be maybe another month before it's on the road. I had to spend days re-wiring this truck as well. I just can't understand why people feel the need to hack into this simple system so bad. It's not even that, it's because they do such a piss poor job of it. There must have been 20 wires that went to just...nothing. The *new* fuse box they *installed* had bare wires coming off it sparking on the fender. I mean I'm not perfect by far but I know that sparks are bad. I got all the crap cut out now and a nice clean fuse box installed. 2015 will be the year of the GMC HATE....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next