LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:48 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Hi all!

I was going to wait until I had the car with me in Florida but I'm getting anxious and figured I would ask some questions to keep my mind occupied and figure out what I need to get ready.

I'm going to be using the entire 4ZC1-T driveline from a 1987 Isuzu Impules turbo (engine, trans, and 3.9 LSD [I believe it has it, don't know if the turbo model had any other gearing options]) so here are the things I need clarification on:

Engine Mounts
The info I've found isn't very clear. I'm pretty certain I will need 86/87 Pup 2.3/2.6 mounts but will I have to cut/reweld/build my own perches?

Differential Gears
I currently have a complete 1984 Pup 3.42 10-bolt differential. From what I've read the third member should drop straight in like most others (3.73, 4.11, etc). Is this accurate?

I've considered keeping the 3.42s for gas mileage purposes but I'm not sure if it will make a large enough different to warrant the speedo remaining so off. I'm also tired of my truck being so damn gutless. Gas mileage improved but a 1.8 and 3.42s was a horrible idea... I can barely keep 60mph on an incline, so forget hilly interstate trips!

Driveshaft
Will I have to get a front yolk from one of the Trooper models to mate my LUV shaft to the Impulse transmission or will the splines match up as is? And, if I do need a new yolk, what models/years should I seek out?

If anyone has personal experience with this I would greatly appreciate any info on unique quirks or lessons learned from accomplishing the swap. Thanks guys!

My '76 LUV and Impulse 5-speed for sale:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24576

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:47 am 

pezfallout wrote:
Hi all!
Differential Gears
I currently have a complete 1984 Pup 3.42 10-bolt differential. From what I've read the third member should drop straight in like most others (3.73, 4.11, etc). Is this accurate?

I've considered keeping the 3.42s for gas mileage purposes but I'm not sure if it will make a large enough different to warrant the speedo remaining so off. I'm also tired of my truck being so damn gutless. Gas mileage improved but a 1.8 and 3.42s was a horrible idea... I can barely keep 60mph on an incline, so forget hilly interstate trips!

No experience with the LUV, but lots of experience with L28ETs from Nissan Zs, and those being 2.8l L6s turbo, they came with 3.54s stock, and that's about as low as I would go too. For a 4cyl car, I think the 4.1 and the 5 speed would be a good match.

3.42 would give your turbo some "legs" but who knows how strong those legs are!

My vote is 3.5-4.1.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:27 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I love the L2X series Datsun motors! They can be built to potent and reliable. Thanks for the input!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:45 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

The car was finally secured and is now at my folk's house ready to be picked up. The guy that owned it had it at the bottom of a muddy hill with no way to get a good spare on to it. He didn't help at all getting it onto the dolly and if it wasn't for sheer stubbornness I would go back in time and buy one from someone else.

Hopefully it doesn't require a complete overhaul, but for the price it was still a steal.

Still looking for advice and input if anyone can help me out!