LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:34 pm 
i am going to try and just save and get a 2.3 from a troper and put it all in my truck tranny and motor is this s good idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:10 pm 
Addicted to LUV

That is the idea I had once I got a Trooper with a 2.3L in it. There is going to be quite a bit of wiring to get sorted out, compared with just pushing more power out of the 1.8L, but I think the boost is worth it. My Trooper 2.3L 5 Spd can put down 27MPG highway besides having quite a bit more power. The only real downside I see is that you'll be putting a new timing belt on the 2.3L every 60k miles. I think my LUV timing chain was last touched by human hands in Japan, and the odometer reads about 60k for the second time since I've owned it.

If I were going to take on this project (which I may one day), I'd be looking for a complete Trooper with motor, trans, and power steering. Ideally, one that runs and drives great, but has had a tree dropped on the top of it or something. ;) If you are up for more of a challenge, get a bit newer Trooper with a fuel injected 2.6L, but expect a lot of wiring to get straight.

Things to think over: Motor mounts have not been verified to be in exactly the same place-looks right but I don't know for sure, emissions testing will bump you up to year of the motor testing requirements in most states, 5 Spd Trans (at least the 4x4) is a couple inches longer requiring a drive shaft shortening. This is not a drop it in over a day project like a LUV-LUV swap.

Last edited by 800xl on Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:05 pm 
Resident Sparktrician

My "new" Trooper is a FI 2.6. Lots of power, but as 800XL just said, lots and lots of wiring.

As far as Trooper performance parts go, here's a list:

Calmini
Indy 4x4
DOR
JC Whitney

This list is by no means all inclusive. As I come across more, I'll try to update this thread. With the exception of JCWhitney, each of these should have a "performance" link (or something like it). Just click it and read to your hearts content.

Later...

1990 Luv 4X4 "Family Cab"
with the big 4 banger on 31" Dueller A/Ts

1989 Dodge Raider with some junk...

"Urban Fighter F.P.C" coming soon to a road near you...:snipersmile:
got BOOBIES? 8O 8)