LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:34 pm 
hey guys i went to the junkyard and and pulled out a axle and it seems like its a 8.8 and not a 9" should i keep it or go return it and get a 9"?
it came out of a 1985 Lincoln Mark VII it has disc brakes. also im going to be using it on my truck and mostlikely the most HP i would go on my truck is 500hp so should i keep or not?

Last edited by ChevyToyR on Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:26 pm 
Japanese Redneck

No sure how you mistook a 8.8 for a 9" they are distinctly different. Are you talking about an 8" vs. a 9"? a 1985 FOMOCO definitely had a 8.8 in it though. It should be fine for your application. should handle 500hp fine that is until you start making traction or start abusing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:11 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

If you run 500 hp to it be sure to get C clip eliminaters.They make several kinds,some for drag only but my neighbor bought some for street driving made by Strange. Money well spent take my word for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:59 pm 
ok i went to the junk yard returned the 8.8 and got a 9" from an older lincoln with disc this time it has a tag and its says gearing is 2.75 the its has 9 will i have to change gearing if i want to use this? or i will have to have smaller tire?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have a 9" axle with 2.75 gears and im running a 25" tire on the rear. With the TH 350, the truck runs on the Hwy very easily. 75 m.p.h. @ 2700 r.p.m. It doesn't have the "push you into the seat" aceleration it had when i ran the stock rear end but it still pulls with some authority. The big plus is that the motor isn't reving its life away and the engine temp is very stable. My advice is to run with the 2.75 setup and see if it's what you want. Odds are you'll be happy with it. If not, it doesn't take much to remove the 3rd member and get new gears installed. Go to the information section and try out the gear ratio calculators. You can see exactly what your setup will do and you can figure out what you want .

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:49 pm 
ok im taking my rear end part to check hows everything so far ive taken the axles out but i cant take the pumpkin out :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Did you remove ALL of the nuts that are around the housing? Are you sure? If the axles are completely out, you should mark them so you'll know which side they fit into. If the axles are out and your sure that all of the nuts are removed around the housing, it can come off. The gasket must be bonded to the case and housing. My advice is to rinse the gearsets clean and put it in a plastic garbage bag. Do not start removing anything from the 3rd member. It worked before it ended in the junk yard so it should work now. All you need to take to the axle shop is the 2 axles and the housing and the dimensions you want the setup to be.

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:16 pm 
ive tried to pull it and it wont come off the nuts are off and evrything

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:35 am 
ok i took it off :D the gasket broke :evil: now how do i clean this thing? this thing is super durty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:36 am 
whats the best thing to use to clean this? gas? i tried a lil bit of carb cleaner and seems like it worked pretty good but i dont have any more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:44 am 
Japanese Redneck

buy more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:31 am 
Addicted to LUV

Varsol works great but it may be hard to find if you dont know anyone with a parts washer tank. Once you get everything clean, spray it down with WD-40 so it wont get rusty. Put the 3rd member assy in a plastic garbage bag and set it aside. Dont tear it down. It's tempting to strip it down but in this case, just leave it be. You have more important things to think about like figuring the new axle width, pinion angle, e-brake setup(if you're going to use it and the brakes themselves. Dont worry about the driveshaft right now. Also, it would be best to fit the new axle to the truck after you get the new motor/trans in place. This way you can correctly figure the pinion angle required to have a smooth running driveline. This is were it gets to be a problem. You cant mount the new axle pads to the differential until you have figured your driveline angle. Your truck will be disabled until you get everything in to it and get the angles correct to have the pads welded on. Everthing depends on everything else.