LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 9 inch questions
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:43 am 
da LUV masta

what ford is it best to get it out off ?
how much do u cut them for slicks ?
anyone with discs in the back?

Post subject: Re: 9 inch questions
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:06 am 
da LUV masta

Look at Luvrv8's truck this weekend I think he has a ford 9" if I'm not mistaken.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:07 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Regarding your questions about Ford 9 inch rear ends. Ford first used this rear end in 1957 and over the years it has proven to be one of the strongest and most versatile rear ends available.
There are several versions and models available, for example Ford used 29 spline axles in them until 1969 Mustangs, the 428 Cobra Jets, Boss 429 and Boss 302 came our with a larger axles and upgraded to 31 splines.
Fortunately Ford also used this same axle in 1/2 ton pickups and vans up until 1985 so finding a 9 incher is relatively simple and all of the third members will interchange as long as you use the correct splined axle.
I'm currently usning a previous van axle housing with 29 spline axles in my 78. The distance between flanges is 50 inches, which is the narrowest you can go without "tubbing" the bed as well as narrowing the frame. and even with the 50 inch axle you will have to use wheels with a 3" backspace. (almost all rear wheel drive vehicles use a 4 1/2" backspacing.)
As far as disc brakes on the rear? While you are having the axle narrowed have the shop install the Explorer axle bearing ends, then you can go the later Ford pickup and Explorer disc brakes at a very reasonable price. Complete disc brake setup is in the $350-450 range and these have a built in emergency brake system too.
One last suggestion, I shopped around and found some 10" X 2" brake shoes and backing plates, these work amazingly well.
Good luck, hope this helps, if you need pictures let me know.
scjconv

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:38 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I think you've got a typo. The correct spline count is 28 and 31. The 8" Ford rear axle assembly also uses 28 spline axles and most of the mini locker units will work. There is also a race setup that uses 35 splines and spool.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:37 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Thanks Rob,
I appreciate the "typo" referencewhen in fact it was a "Senior Moment" or more likely a brain fa-t! I was apparently thinking of another rear axle spline count when I wrote 29 instead of 28.
One other simpler and much cheaper way to get a very dependable and strong rear end is to use a Ford 8" differential. Built right these will hold a thousand horsepower! l And if you do a lot of shopping it is possible to find one that will literally fit right into a Luv! The narrowest 8" rear end is 53" flange to flange and these come in the older Comet-Mavericks with the optional 302 engines. I used one behind a sbc 350 for years without any problems, the only drawback is finding one with gear ratios below 3:00-1. But if you are rebuilding it, you can find gears clear down in the 4:62-1!! And these are available with Equa-Lock, Ford's version of the Posi Tacs found in Chevys.
Installing one in a Luv is simplly a matter of grinding off the old spring pads and welding on new ones to match the Luv springs, make a driveshaft and you are set to go.
If you find a set of later Mustang wheels (1990s-on up) with a 5 1/2-6" backspace you can fit some pretty wide tires under the fenders too.
Just another much cheaper way to build a freeway cruiser.
Good luck and thanks again Rob,
scjconv

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:54 pm 
da LUV masta

Ford also made a small version lincoln in the 80's that had a 51 inch ford 9 inch that came factory with disc brakes. I just helped a friend install on under a 55 chevy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Lincoln Versi(sp?). They seem to be hard to find now days. Factory disc brakes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:57 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

One of the reasons I just love this site is all of the available information found here! Unlike some of the others, everyone jumps in and adds, or otherwise helps each other out! Thanks to all of you who are so free with your advise, this has saved me hundreds of dollars in building my Luvs.
Regarding the Lincoln Versai disc brake rear ends? You are right these are getting harder and harder to find, but then they are over 30 years old by now! I wasn't aware they were only 51" wide, this would be a perfect swap for a Luv.
The disc brakes are kind of tricky though, not reliable and break down a lot, their inherit design was poor and it is questionable whether it would be worth trying to rebuild or fix even if you could actually find one.
Thanks again,
scjconv

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:20 pm 
Addicted to LUV

scjconv wrote:
One of the reasons I just love this site is all of the available information found here! Unlike some of the others, everyone jumps in and adds, or otherwise helps each other out! Thanks to all of you who are so free with your advise, this has saved me hundreds of dollars in building my Luvs.
Regarding the Lincoln Versai disc brake rear ends? You are right these are getting harder and harder to find, but then they are over 30 years old by now! I wasn't aware they were only 51" wide, this would be a perfect swap for a Luv.
The disc brakes are kind of tricky though, not reliable and break down a lot, their inherit design was poor and it is questionable whether it would be worth trying to rebuild or fix even if you could actually find one.
Thanks again,
scjconv

I have the Lincoln discs on the rear of mine. MUCH more reliable than the crappy stock front discs. I also have 2 more Lincoln 9's with the discs in the pile o parts out back, but they are more than 51 inches wide. And the 8.8 discs will bolt up fairly easy. You can get the adapter plates from Speedway...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:35 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I'm glad you have had such good luck with your Ford rear discs, when I mentioned my comment about reliabilty, I was referring to the poor brake design wherein Ford did not have "floating calipers" instead choosing to bolt the calipers hard to the mounting brackets, this caused a very serious rotor breakage due to misalignment of rotors to calipers, especially when driven hard. Yet I know a lot of early Mustang owners that have switched to the Lincoln/Granada disc brake rear ends and have never had a problem?
I have nothing against these brakes, I just wouldn't use them on my vehicles, certainly No Offense intended!
Personally I like Wilwood Disc Brake systems, I've had excellent luck with their 4 wheel disc brakes, in fact they work so well that it is not necessary to use a power booster! And at $550 an axle, they are far cheaper than any other aftermarket disc brakes I've found.
And as I stated above, if you are going to have your 9" housing cut down, why not go ahead and have Explorer axle ends installed at the same time, then you can go the stock Ford pickup, Explorer rear disc brakes.
I have never had any problem with the Luv stock front discs myself so I don't know what you mean about them being "crappy?" What type of problems have you had with them?
Good luck with your Lincoln brakes, just keep an eye out for cracks around the hub mounting area, this is where they are prone to break and why Ford discontinued using this design after 1978.
scjconv

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:10 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I ordered the Strange 9" housing for an S10.............. dropped right in.

A.j.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:10 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Pictures when you can.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:43 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

The wight inch housing from a Pinto / Mustang II is approx 52" wide, axle flange to flange is approx 57" wide.

To figure the width for cutting down, get the wheels and tires you want to use. Set them in the fender well where you want them to ride. Be aware of travel up and down. Now measure from the inside of the wheel, where it would bolt on, from side to side. That number is what the shop will need, let them do the math to calculate the actual housing width. If you have some experience in this, then you can do it.
You can also do it by measuring the tire sidewall to wheel mounting point. Tire to frame, frame to frame and with a little math calculate the width also.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:46 pm 
da LUV masta

Brake front to rear stopping ratios are usually 70-30 in a car and 60-40 in a truck. The 60-40 truck ratio assumes you are carring a load and will have added weight in the bed help you stop. The rear brakes engage first to keep the vehicle going straight, but the front discs are what's doing most of the stopping. That's why you have to change out the front pads more frequently than you change the rear drums. Try pulling your emergency brake while you are driving and you will quickly see how well your vehicle doesn't stop. Rear drum brakes and front discs are satisfactory for most driving. They are less headache and expense when doing a rearend swap and you can always add them later. It's the same reason most cars still come that way from the factory. When you start converting your rear brakes in your vehicle to disc, it's for road racing, or looks and bench racing, but it's not necessary for a street or street/strip truck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I cut my 9" to 52 and ran a 4" back space . I have also run 4.25" BS . If i was doing it over id make it wider and run 4.5" or 5.5" back space as most mustangs and camaros take this and used wheels are cheaoer and more readily avalible . This is 4.25" with stock springs and slappers 275/60/15 .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:05 am 

how wide of tire /wheel i.e. 10" or 8" can you put in the rear without cutin ? putin a nine in mine..... thedude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:46 pm 
da LUV masta

There are any number of ways to find tire and rim size, and it all boils down to getting out the old measuring tape. Jack it up with the old tire and wheel if that's all you have available, measure and see what's left. If you have access to a wider wheel and tire put one on and see how much more you can go. There are also places online that will show diagrams of how to find your backspace, tire size, wheel size ect. Try some of the wheel and tire sales companies. You can also get a good idea by looking at the previous post by addicted to luv.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:47 pm 
da LUV masta

whats backspace mean?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:14 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Anyone familliar with the earlier (71,72) bronco 9"

:egeek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:58 pm 
da LUV masta

The distance between the where the rim mounts to the hub and the inside rim of the wheel.