LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:08 am 
:?: ok i have heard and been told that a 86 TO 90 TROPER TRANI WILL FIT RIGHT IN I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW THANKS E-MAIL ME
KEVIN
lostsk8ter71684@tfo.cc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:24 am 
Addicted to LUV

http://forums.luvtruck.com/viewtopic.ph ... ht=5+speed

read this one. he says 85 but i've also heard the 87's work too. i'm really thinking of getting one now since i know what year. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:10 pm 
i still want to know more i like to know as much as i can and i still feel like if i was to try it would be hard so please tell me more.thanks
kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:03 am 
Addicted to LUV

I recently picked up an 86 Trooper with a 5spd and 2.3L so as I get under it more and more I will be looking at what parts look like they'll cross over to the LUV. Unfortunately I won't be pulling the trans in the foreseeable future so it will be tough to know for sure, but from my first pass look things look pretty compatible to a 4x4 LUV. The sticks and mounts look about the same, as well as the overall size and shape.

One thing I have noticed is that the 2.3L has a lot more balls than the 1.8 in the LUV, and the motor mounts look pretty much identical in shape and placement. It might take a bit to get all the wiring, relays, and stuff to go with it. However, if you can find a trooper that is externally thrashed but has a good motor and trans, that would make one nice combo upgrade for a LUV. There are quite a few more performance options for the 2.3L too, so it doesn't have to end there. Not to mention things like power steering you could rob along with the rest. If I were going to do any of these swaps, I think I'd be looking for a complete running Trooper to pull from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:13 am 
so the tranny swap will only work for a 4x4 luv or could i put it in my 2wd and just not use the front drive shaft? because i am lookin for a troper and hopefuly the swap will sork because i know the 1.9 has balls just needs to be hooked up all together

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:38 am 
Resident Sparktrician

On the 5 speed, you should be able to remove the transfer case as it appears to be attached to the rear of the tranny. I think you could then use it as a 2wd with the drive shaft directly mounted to the tranny output shaft. I'm just speculating as I don't have one. A quick glance at one gave me this impression, though.

My .02

1990 Luv 4X4 "Family Cab"
with the big 4 banger on 31" Dueller A/Ts

1989 Dodge Raider with some junk...

"Urban Fighter F.P.C" coming soon to a road near you...:snipersmile:
got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:40 pm 
this space for rent

most isuzu trannies are the same wheather 4x4 or not. All thery do is bolt on a t-case or a spacwer on the back of the tranny. IF its the same you may be able to pull the t-case off and use the back part from a 2wd tranny on it and you would have a 5speed for a 2wd. That is all just what i have seen in luvs, im not shure if it will work for the 5speed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:19 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have heard the early troopers will work with the luv (1982-86)
(Haynes manuel says 87 and later have a front crossmember for tranny)

I went to a wrecking yard and found one with april 85 production. The bell housing looks really close to the luv. The rear tranny mount looks the same. Although I didnt take any measurments. I suppose you could take off the deatchable crossmember and find a way to attach to the Luv frame if need be.
Haynes Manual shows the trooper uses a hydraluic clutch release cylinder and Luv has a mechincal clutch. Can that be used?
I am concerding buying a trooper tranny next weekend being that the wrecking yard has exchange policy and credit too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The earlier luv's had hydraulic clutches....

My 76 had one, my 80 has a mechanical one, and my 78 has an automatic, so I don't know what the last year for the hydraulic clutch was.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:06 am 
PITA Old Fart

So what you guys are saying is I could put a 2.3 wih a 5 speed out of an early trooper and it should fit right in and bolt right up with very little trouble/mods in my 81 2wd Luv? Later :twisted: -TAZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:34 am 
Addicted to LUV

drummerforhire wrote:
The earlier luv's had hydraulic clutches....

Mine is an 1980 as well. It sounds like I can't use a trooper tranny unless
I convert my luv to hydraulic. =-( Suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:17 pm 
PITA Old Fart

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it makes any difference how the pressure gets transferred from the clutch pedal to the clutch. So why couldn't you just use what came with your truck? The only problem would be for guys with a hydraulic clutch to find some place to mount the slave cylinder to the trooper bellhousing. A buddy of mine did that a few years ago on a similar conversion by making a bracket out of heavy guage steel to mount the the cylinder on. It was held on by the bellhousing-to-engine block bolts and he's still driving the truck today and it works fine. With a minimum of skill with a welder and drill, it should be a simple fix. Later :twisted: -TAZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:59 pm 
Addicted to LUV

My 86 Trooper has the same cable clutch setup as my 79 LUV. 1977 was the last year for hydraulic clutches on the LUV. The main problem with changing between the two is that the 77 transmission has the clutch fork on the passenger side, and the cable setups are all on the drivers side. Best case you'd have to cut out the hole for the fork on the other side, worst case you'd have to fab mounting for the pivot and such too to convert cable to hydraulic.

If you have a 2WD, I'd start looking for a 2WD rig either an Isuzu pickup or Trooper (they even make them 2WD?) and avoid the extra weight and headache of dealing with the 4WD stuff being in the way. My 86 4WD trooper has the crossmember under the tranny but the rear mount is still on the rear of the trans with nothing hooked to it. Guess it wasn't worth it to change the casting of the tranny. ;) It all looks like it would fit to me, but I have not really done any measurements or detailed comparisons.

Zane: Funny thing, my Trooper is tagged as built in April 1985 too. Guess the one you're looking at and mine were sorta litter mates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:15 pm 
you guys have been a big help i still would like to know more about the use of a 2.3 engin swap to the luv because if that motor is better i will take that instead of just puting in the 5 speeed.
thanks
kevin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:01 pm 
Addicted to LUV

tumwatertaz wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it makes any difference how the pressure gets transferred from the clutch pedal to the clutch. So why couldn't you just use what came with your truck? -TAZ

I studied it more at the wrecking yard and looks like the both setup the cables pull the same direction. Tomorrow is the big day where I pull the tranny out and take it home.

If you have a pick n pull wrecking yard they are haveing a sale on trannys for the next coming week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:07 pm 
this space for rent

77 was the last year for hydo clutches, same as the last year for dual headlights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

77 was also the last year for wing windows and the first year for yellow lenses on the rear turn signals.

Zane: Good luck pulling that thing, I hope it works out well. When you grab it, it would be helpful to take down the VIN (on the door post) and the engine code (on a sticker under the hood). This info would be helpful from anyone doing later Isuzu to LUV swaps so we can kind of pin down what fits and what doesn't. With a little more info built up I think I can put together some sort of guide to help pick out potential donors quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

MEPR wrote:
77 was the last year for hydo clutches, same as the last year for dual headlights.

800xl wrote:
77 was also the last year for wing windows and the first year for yellow lenses on the rear turn signals.

we need to get info like this into some kinda list. :D

sorry...... im not tryin to jack your thread brutha :wink:

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:44 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I'll start a thread in stock trucks and do a brain dump of what I know. I've had and seen enough LUVs to have a lot of it down pretty well except for the early year stuff (72-74). We should include Isuzu PUP/Trooper info that relates, like this transmission swap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:07 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Zane: Good luck pulling that thing, I hope it works out well. When you grab it, it would be helpful to take down the VIN (on the door post) and the engine code (on a sticker under the hood). This info would be helpful from anyone doing later Isuzu to LUV swaps so we can kind of pin down what fits and what doesn't. With a little more info built up I think I can put together some sort of guide to help pick out potential donors quickly.[/quote]

I pulled the tranny but forgot about the VIN plate. I can stop by and write down the info though. Tomorrow my mechainc friend will compare the stock luv vs the trooper tranny and let me know what he thinks.
I'll let you guys know.