LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:13 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Hey guys
Well ive decided on dropping a chevy 400 and Turbo 350 tranny into my LUV. and im trying to iron out some bugs in the planning. The motor mounts, ive sent Blue Meanie a request to get plans to build a set. And the rear end is a 10 bolt GM with 4.10 rear gears. (spin spin spin :twisted: ) And the drive axle will be all custom done. Now im just wondering how all you guys mount the transmision in these things. Just build a new crossmember and bolt it too it?? And also a chevy 400, is that goin to be able to clear the steering column?? Ive heard that the fords SB are too wide and the steering box and arm might need to be moved. So are the chevys supposed to fit nicley then?? or do they need some "tweaking" too?? Theres no headers on this thing for the moment. Does the radiator need to be removed or relocated soemwhere else (ie. back of truck box)??? Or should it still fit with the 400 in there??? The hood im not to worried about, its coming off so the high rise aluminum intake can stick up :twisted: !! And is there anything more on problems i might encounter?? I can't for some reason open that engine swap article in the information page!! :x But ill keep trying. Oh ya and BTW this LUV ain't gonna be no ordinary LUV. I have veiws of it wheel standing by the end of the project :D !! After the wheely bars are installed then i might stop building on it :wink: ...yeah.....right..... lol Ohya BTW how much does a Stock 2wd LUV weigh?? Thanks guys any help on this is greatly appreciated!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:41 am 
My advise is to cut out the existing radiator support and build a new one. Put in a good aluminum radiator, the 400 will need the extra cooling. I have a motor plate on mine but I would rather have mounts on the crossmember. I have seen several examples in some of the posts for fabricated mounts.

With a 5:13 gear my 400 and a powerglide with a 3500 stall and 13/31 slicks will stand up high enough to drag the license plate.
You do not need 800 hp to stand it up... A lot of gear and a lot of stall and slicks.

Make sure yours will go straight.............when it leaves the line.
The guard rail comes at you in a hurry. (I changed to a 4:11 gear)
8O

Post subject: yep
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:20 pm 
Japanese Redneck

Yep its all in the setup. my truck started lifting the front end when it was in the mid 11's on a foot braked 406 TH350, 3800 stall, on 3.73 gears and a 10" slick. It wont take much to get you on the bumper at all. If you want to put on a real wheelsup show, get a transbrake in your tranny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:18 pm 
If I was to do it again, I would put in a 200R4 trans. They are way stronger than the TH350, and you get a great road gear. Set it up as a non loch up, so there are no electronice involved, and away you go. Huges in So Cal has all kinds of stuff for the 200R4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:15 am 
On the link about the motor swap: Right click on the link and save it to your hard drive, then go open it from the place where you saved it. Otherwise, when you click on the link, Adobe opens and displays a blank page. I has nearly everything you need to know, once you get it open. Good luck with the project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:06 pm 
Hey Luvsadrag thats a great avatar bro!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:00 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

your steering shaft will clear with the 400 there is no problem with that or the box. i run the hooker mounts on mine and a pretty tall intake with a velocity stack and air leaner and it only sticks about 4 inches above the hood.you will need a better radiator than stock f you set the motor back far enough you can leave it in front of the motor. go to the picture gallery and check out some of the members trucks there are some good pics on there to get ideas from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:13 pm 
Japanese Redneck

Silver Luv wrote:
Hey Luvsadrag thats a great avatar bro!!!!!!

thanks... the only problem is that little shit lifts his right foot on the shift. I don't shift like that. LOL. It is cool how his head snaps back though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:52 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

nascar was using that same avatar in a mark martin commercial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:20 am 
Addicted to LUV

i think i've looked at the your avator 20 times and just noticed it.
thats cool :D :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:42 am 
Japanese Redneck

racelife wrote:
nascar was using that same avatar in a mark martin commercial.

THATS where I've seen it before!!! It looked somewhat familiar before I borrowed it from a member of another board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:40 am 
OK I feel left out, where do you get a avatar from?

I put in "avatar" on yahoo and it came up with statanic stuff.

Slick Rick needs a avatar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:47 am 
NEVERMIND found one.