LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: the big question
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:01 am 
i have the chance to get a 351 modified for cheap, actually for free prob, i know what ur going to say, "a ford engine?", but come-on its free, all it needs is a tuneup. however, i would have to buy a tranny and tcase. so the question is should i take it and put it in the luv? if i do with the help of father, what kind of axles should i go for? i was thinking dana 44, for i would only run 36" tires at the most. should i also go ahead with solid axle up front? this would most definatly be a winter project, because of the complexity, but should i go ahead and spend the $$ for the extra fun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:13 am 
i'm not sure how tall the engine is, you might have to cut out a hole and put a cowl on the hood if it is

is the 351 a windsor small block? it might be a decent candidate for an engine swap. i'd go with a t18 tranny and a np205 or dana t-case. axle-wise, a dana 44 for the front would probably be a good idea, and a dana 44 or 60 for the rear, or a gm 12 bolt

if you're going to go through the effort of putting a small block in your pickup, i'd recommend going all the way with solid axles. your truck will perform much better offroad, and the solid axles will be way more durable than ifs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:00 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

If it was a Windsor or a cleveland I might would use it but a Modified is not worth making it fit anything. They had too many problems as they were and are known for crank problems. I would not want to go to the trouble of putting a engine in that would be hard to do in the first place and have a problem just waiting to happen. The last one we had we gave away also. A lot of them got changed to 460's or small blocks, and a 400 is just as bad. When I was still working on police cars they had a service bulletin telling you to not turn the air conditioner on at highway speed as the front of the crank had been known to break off. Keep looking something else will turn up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:13 pm 
STAY WITH CHEVY my experiance with ford is that they cost alot more than a chevy and chevy is alot more interchangable as far as parts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:07 pm 
Addicted to LUV

i know QRAZY is got a small block ford in his.....wasnt someone else doing this too ..and ended up giving up on it?

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws