LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: h/p
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:41 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

i have a spare motor(1.8) in my garage and i want to bore it but i have never done this before so i don't know if i have to do some head for to open the combustin camber. i just had the head redone not to long ago with new valves and springs and saved. what other mods would i have to do i am getting a webber to put on it and i already have a header so i am getting a 2.5 exhaust system as well this summer. i want to have it all done before i leave for wyoming next september. so how much work do i need to do and how much am i looking at for the boring and stuff? i already checked how much and exhaust sytem is gonna coast and the webber. so all i need is the boring info. n e helpo would be appreciated so i don't get tro ripped. matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:17 pm 
Resident Sparktrician

The Napa machine shop here does boring for $15 a hole regardless of how much you want taken out of it. I would (and have) pay them to do it. Also, if you're running the 4 banger (like me), a 2.5" exhaust may be a little big. On my old Jeep Grand Cherokee (4.0L) I ran a single 2.25" exhaust. You may find that you'll lose torque. I am putting in a 1.9L with Crane cam, Weber progressive, and header, and I'll be running a 2" or 2.25" exhaust.

Just my .02

1990 Luv 4X4 "Family Cab"
with the big 4 banger on 31" Dueller A/Ts

1989 Dodge Raider with some junk...

"Urban Fighter F.P.C" coming soon to a road near you...:snipersmile:
got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:34 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

i thimk boring prices vary according to where you live the important thing is make sure it`s a good quality shop.the average here is about 8 bucks a hole. you shouldn`t have to do any work to the combustion chamber on the head. if you do any work to the combuston chamber it will lower your compression ratio there by reducing power unless you have the head or the block milled to compensate.as bad as the luv`s are at blowing head gaskets it`s a good idea to have both milled anyway to make sure there good flat. getting the block done is around 90.00 for a v-8 in my area it maybe cheaper for the 4 cyl. try to find a quality shop it`s well worth the 15.00 you might save some where else. do your home work on machine shops. if you have to go to your local race track and find out where the racers take there parts. hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:54 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Damn it I need to move. The last time I called around for prices in Rockford it was $150-$175 to bore a v8. And that was a few years ago. This sucks. No wonder everthings closing up in this crap whole.

Post subject: mods
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:59 am 
Japanese Redneck

as far as the cylinder head. I wouldnt do much to the combustion chamber but I would do a bowl blend (pocket port) job on the area just beneath the valves. deshroud the valve a little and put a teardrop shape on it. you can port match the intake and exhaust to the gaskets you are using but the most hp gain will be noticed from the bowl blend. you will also have to do a 3 angle or better valve job on it after the bowl blend. I would pay somebody to do this.

the last motor i did a pocket port job on (350 chevy) picked up almost 50 hp. I didn't even open up the ports at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:22 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

would i have to get a special head gasket or would the would the ones tha coem in a head set be just fine? i will start calling around tomorrow to find out wich is the best and most inexpensive. thanx. matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:34 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

the ones that come in the gasket set will be fine. they come from the factory with some clearance built in.