LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:50 pm 

ok heres the deal I have a 75 chevy luv and I want to do something original for a engine swap.
so what I was wondering is if anyone (I know I will tick off or atleast annoy a few of you but hey) has seen or done a swap from lets say a nissan or honda engine into thier/your luv?

The swap I plan on doing is from a rear wheel drive import which is what I think will annoy most but you wont be able to deny that its and original idea because I have searched and search for engine swaps in our trucks and only found similar stock engines and v6 and v8's but what about a powerful 4 cyl?

I plan on putting in a 4cyl that has 240+hp which we all know kills the stock motor and 1/2 of the stock v6 and v8 notice I said stock cuz you build a v8 and you have some serious hp but I mean stock no mods at all.

In all actuallity if you put 5k into the motor I am swapping in it will be worth it more.

so please give me your opinion on me swapping in a import engine into my LUV......

oh yeah plus and tips would be great since this is my first time doing this with a luv but since the donor vehicle is rear wheel drive also and a 4cyl too it shouldnt be too hard I think the hard part will be the wiring and cutting and welding but I am great with wiring and have a certified welder at hand

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:30 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Here's one ctmandu is planning...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16481&hilit=cosworth

Here's what he was initially considering....

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16019&p=119574&hilit=zetec#p119574

Good luck, keep us posted on what you decide to use... 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:15 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I agree if your going with an engine upgrade, then ide say go with the zetec.. i think that would be good.. that IS a chevy motor right? mabye im thinking ecotech... i dont know but it still looks nice nad if your goign with changin engines with another 4cyl then your best bet is to get a twin cam; tunability, power, and it just looks sweet... i thought about dropping in a chrystler 2.4 either n/a or srt-4 just cause i haev an afinity for dodge and like them engines, but anyway if you want a good 4 banger twin cam is the way to go... im not sure wich one it is above but i know the chevy 4cyl that they put in the cobalt the blocks are good for 1500hp 8O and thats coming straight from a chevy technition...

-Dustin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:37 pm 

yeah I dont know anything about the dodge motors at all but I am pretty knowledgable with honda the motor I think I am gonna go with is a 2000 or newer and its a 2.0 and has the most hp per liter than any factory engine in the world plus its a 6spd.the motor that is being put into the luv truck that was in the first link is bad ass dont get me wrong and is also original atleast its the first one Ive seen but its also rare to find so I am going with availability but my setup is going to run me over 5 grand so yeah.

Is there anyone out there thats good at mocking up engines that live in cali.

I would be willing to pay for gas and pay some cash or supply beer what ever for some help...

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

yeah I dont know anything about the dodge motors at all but I am pretty knowledgable with honda the motor I think I am gonna go with is a 2000 or newer and its a 2.0 and has the most hp per liter than any factory engine in the world plus its a 6spd.

Well now, I get about 150bhp per liter with the small jets in my stock block V-8...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:51 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Honda is out.

Honda motors all spin the other way.

SR20 for the win i rekon.

Bob.

Chasing parts for Isuzu Impulse.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:02 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

well if ya had a spare Lotus sitting around, and a big turbo too

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:21 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

(cough)(cough) DODGE (cough)(cough) AMERICAN (cough)(cough) excuse me....

rodeo bob is right your gonna have to go another route unless you find soem kind of tranny that also spins wrong and is rear wheel drive but i dont think that honda makes rwd vehicles, but mabye 1 or 2 rigs, if you really wanna be different then get a couple briggs and stratton motors weld like 6 together and get yourself a machined crankshaft, cam, and head that you can run on it and get back to us.. NOW THAT WOULD BE DIFFERENT! :ebiggrin j/k

-Dustin

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:00 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

I've been looking quite a bit at dropping an old Rambler (AMC) flathead 196, 6 cyl into a Luv. Looks to me like it would fit. They were rated about 90 hp, stock. There is a lot of discussion here as to the effort involved versus the outcome. I know the little flathead would give about 30-35 mpg in an early 60's Rambler American, a little less with a 2 bbl.

Depends on how different you want to be I guess, and if you want to go 'forward-tech' or 'retro-tech'. I don't think I've seen a Luv with a Ford flathead V8 and grinder box, but I bet it could be done. The LS1 has worked it's way into a couple of Luv's, for 4 cylinders the limitations seem to be mostly the ability to adapt a FWD engine to an inline trans. There is a trans adapter place in Oz that makes pretty much any adapter you can imagine, can't seem to find the link right now...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:29 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Unless its out of a RWD 2wd Jap vehicle your options are really very limited unless you want the hassles of sorting out a gearbox etc.
Not knowing whats what in the midsize sort of car in the US i cant really comment one what you would have local.

Hence i mentioned the SR20. Its a given really. Plenty of cheap aftermarket parts and RWD trans is easy to get.
Thats if you want something that goes well and you can turbo.

For a Naturally aspirated motor you couldnt go past a later Isuzu 4cyl engine. Bolts straight in and you can use your existing trans.
A little more expensive to hop up than an SR20 but worth it all the same.

Not sure what the HP figures are but a guy i know had a fairly warmed over G200 in his pup it made 67kw at the rear wheels. He just traded up to a later pup with the 2.6L motor. It is on straight LPG (propane) running the EFI computer (ignitiion) as the fuel setup was not working and the tank has been removed. Its stock and it makes 68kw at the rear wheels.

The G200 has an early G161 head with dual valve springs and big valves and a cam with a weber carby.

Bob.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:35 am 

Its a 2004 Honda S2000 engine tranny and rear diff.
Its IRS so thats a plus and the rear frame comes out of the s2k so all I have to do is find one of those at a auction or junk yard and cut and weld lol I know it will be harder but I have alot of people that are going in on this with me.

So far I bought the engine/trans/rear end but I need a wiring harness and ecu and chipped key.

I am considering turboing the engine burt not sure yet I want the motor to run forever like honda's typically do if taken care of.

The s2k engine sits in there about how the stock engine does but I need to make new mounts since the s2k engines mounts in the middle of the engine and the isuzu engine bolts up by the crank pully only about a 4in difference.I will also possibly need to cut a little inside of the truck to get the s2k tranny to clear nice like.see attatched pic

another reason I like the swap I am doing is because the rear diff has a factory lsd which is a big big plus. I will take some pics as soon as I can since my camera is broken lol I broke it while I was out jumping my old 86 fiero lol man I bought that car for $100 fixed a few things took it out to the field and dukes of hazzarded it and killed it all together and some guys bought it for $150 with no windows and not running etc etc lol

Attachments:
s2k.jpg
s2k.jpg [ 33.44 KiB | Viewed 11780 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:16 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

what about rotary powerd? get an old rx7 and drop the engine and tranny in you will have one awsome and diferent swap pluse really fast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:38 am 
PITA Old Fart

I've seen some GM Quad4's built up by combining the best parts of various versions turn out some amazing hp/torque, plus I've seen a few Luvs with twin cam Nissan 2.0 (and bigger) racing engines, and with Toyota 2.2 (and bigger)twin cam racing engines years ago that were hella quick.

Isuzu has a 2.6 4banger that produces 125hp stock with all of the smog and A/C crap connected to it - so there's no telling what one would do with a little tinkering. And it bolts right up to the Luv's tranny. Gemini racing out of aussie land is the G series engine building guru (dare I say god?), so if you want to see some very impressive stuff that can be done cheaply that will amaze you, check his site out. He's also a member here BTW.

But if there's a will - there's a way. So use whatever ya got and whatever ya want dude. It's your truck, so joke 'em if they can't take a screw.

Besides you can't build it any worse than chevy/isuzu did in the first place. I firmly believe if these weren't such damn good looking trucks that are so damn fun to drive - they'd all have been scrapped a long time ago...lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:24 am 
da LUV masta

Sounds like you've got about the same problem as I do. I was gonna try to put a Chevy Corvair engine in a V-Dub. The engine spins the wrong way. One of the solutions is to re-cam the engine so it'll run backward. Just make the valves operate to the time of a reverse spin. Of course the accessories wouldn't work, unless they can spin backward...
I don't know, but a truck with 4 speeds of reverse sounds pretty original!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:40 pm 
this space for rent

I have heard of some down right heinous G engine builds out of Australia from the Gemini guys...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:35 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

k series that's the way to go. Then you could drift it. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:56 am 
this space for rent

eurbz wrote:
k series that's the way to go. Then you could drift it. :twisted:

A buddy of mine has a built KA in a 240. He had me weld the rear diff up for him, holly freaking drift machine man. Sorry for the hijack.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:45 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It seems that the GM 2.2 ecotec engine( i think thats the right name) is being used. There is a adapter to convert it to rwd.
I think this is what jimmy shine said they were using, in the hard shine series. I think the Chev colorado engine-tranny could be a Idea too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:34 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

ret1614 wrote:
Sounds like you've got about the same problem as I do. I was gonna try to put a Chevy Corvair engine in a V-Dub. The engine spins the wrong way. One of the solutions is to re-cam the engine so it'll run backward. Just make the valves operate to the time of a reverse spin. Of course the accessories wouldn't work, unless they can spin backward...
I don't know, but a truck with 4 speeds of reverse sounds pretty original!

Ask a VeeDub transmission guy.
You can mount the diff together wrong by accident and that gives you 1 fwd and 4 rev gears with the std VeeDub motor. :wink:
My mate did it by accident when he was a young tacker.

I think its pretty common to swap shit about for making desert racers etc.

Why not just leave it in the Corvair??? Ive heard you needed really hairy balls to pilot one of them. They would be getting pretty rare to find now wouldnt they???

Bob.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:39 am 
Addicted to LUV

A long time ago there was a kit made to change the rotation of the covair to work with a VW transmission. I would think it is not made anymore. A lot of people putting Subaru engines in old VW's, You would have to add a radiator, but a lot of water cooled engines going in dune buggies and other ones.