LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:18 pm 
well seems like the rotary engine will be too much $ so im thinking of going just regular V8 no high performance or anything so what do u guys think? also what mounts do i get? what tranny? what headers? please help because seems like my 20r took a $hit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:53 pm 
Resident Sparktrician

I'm not doing a v-8, and haven't really looked into it, so I can't help much. However, there is an excellent article in the info section that will probably answer a lot of your questions. Hope this helps...

1990 Luv 4X4 "Family Cab"
with the big 4 banger on 31" Dueller A/Ts

1989 Dodge Raider with some junk...

"Urban Fighter F.P.C" coming soon to a road near you...:snipersmile:
got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject: Combo
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:26 pm 
Japanese Redneck

small block chevy, TH350 trans, hooker conversion kit, Sanderson 1 3/4" block hugger headers, narrow down a big bearing Ford 9", use a 71 vette cross flow radiator, or aftermarket alum. uh did I forget anything? oh find a machine shop to redrill your rotors to 5 lug.

BTW did anybody hear that Greg Moser and his wife died in a plane crash?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Basically if you use the Hooker mounts you HAVE to weld them in, so keep that in mind and plan for it. With the Hooker mounts you can run the Hooker headers (obviously), or maybe a set of shorties, or of couse, exhaust manifolds.

If you want to run regular Camaro long-tube headers or something like that then your looking at redoing the front suspension and changing it to coil-overs to eliminate the torsion bars.

Personally, I'd just go for the Hooker mounts or a set of home-made ones that are similar. They work good and then your options are still open for exhaust later on.

Do you know what kind of power you want to make? Do you want reliability/gas mileage or power, or somewhere in between. From talking to you I know smog inspections aren't a concern so your options are pretty open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:15 am 
well from what im gathering i just want to do the hooker mounts headers,
um a 9" if i can find one at the junk yard (i would love to have disc brakes :) ), umm is there such thing as a stock 350? i mean maybe any chevy V8 will do this truck is my only car so its my daily driver, and yeah like Ben said ill pass all smog tests hehe :)

Post subject: smog
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:12 am 
Japanese Redneck

eh, you live in So Cal and you think you are going to pass smog with a V-8 in your LUV. hahaha, thats a good one. seriously though. You either need all the smog equipment from the donor car. (if the motor came out of a 1981 camaro, then you have to have everthing from that car all the way down to the air cleaner as it will be smogged by 1981 camaro standards) also your donor car must be a later year than your truck. You need to take it to a referee initially to have the certify the swap and label your truck so you can take it to any smog station after that. 9" in the junk yard are fairly easy to find. if you want a disk brake 9" then you are looking for a Lincoln Versaille rear or Mercury Marquis among others. I would personally go for the big bearing 9 out of an early 70's stang and put some wilwoods on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:25 am 
trust me my truck doesnt need smog :) is registered as diesel :twisted:

Post subject: Smog
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:30 pm 
Japanese Redneck

What ya need is one of them dandy BAR labels like they used to give out. The state of CA says its OK for there to be a 1964 327 V-8 in my truck. Letsee... the only smog equip on a a 1964 327 was.... a...PCV valve.

Letsee... 327... 427. well it looks like a small block it must be a 327. heheh. You should see the expression on the face of the smog guys when I roll in to a station to get a test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:43 pm 
does any one have some extra V8 mounts or is there any one that can make me a set? any help will be cool :) thanks

ohh how about a 350 engine lol jk

Post subject: Hooker
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:33 am 
Japanese Redneck

I would buy the hookers. I have fabbed them before but I had to mock up an engine and tranny. I made a template so i could make some more but for the best fit I ended up doing the mock up again anyway. Hookers are just save a lot of time.