LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 8:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

So I got my work truck, and now I have changed jobs yet again, so I have my donor vehicle. 350 with a TH400 transmission. It's all starting to shape up in my head. I'm gonna have to rebuild the 350, so while I have it apart, I'm going to go ahead and make a 383 out of it. Going to get the 400 rebuilt and reverse the gear pattern on it.

So anyway, I gotta find a 9 inch somewhere and put some gears in it. I'm thinking of 4.11's or even more. Maybe in the 5's. And some monster slicks.

How much converter do you guys think I'll need? I plan on running this one mainly on the strip, I'm going to have a pretty big cam in it. The guys at comp cams have just about got me sold on the XE282HR. It has 230/236 duration at 0.544/0.555 with a 110-degree lobe-separation angle. I'm also going to put 1.6:1 rockers on it.

Something for me to think about anyway. I'm going to take my time on this one and do it right. My poor little 78 luv with the 3.8 was done pretty half-assed by whoever did it. It's going to get this heart transplant and I'm keeping the 80 4x4 stock.

Last edited by drummerforhire on Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 2:47 am 
Addicted to LUV

Being that your running a 383 with that cam, I'd stay kinda conservative with the gears and stall. 4.11's are probably about right. As for the stall, the cam company should be able to give you an idea about that. I'd guess around 3000, but ask them because they would know.

Personally, I'd go with a bigger cam, especially with a 383. But it depends upon what else your doing to the motor too. Intake? Heads? Carb? Exhaust? Is the cam a hydraulic roller?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 7:24 am 
OG Lifer

Ideally, you want to choose a combo of stuff like the gears in hte rearend and stall converter that will keep you in your projected power curve the longest, and you want a converter that will keep your tranny locked up. If you have a really tall gear, low 3's high2's and you stuff a 3000 stall in it, your tranny will always be stalling and never lock into gear. This will burn it up very quickly. You want to choose a gear ratio and stall combo that allows your trans to stall up to the beginning of your engines power curve. Then you can launch in your curve and get the most performance out of it.

WATCH YOUR PIEHOLE!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:22 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Drummer call B&M for help on this. It is a very complicated formula. You need to take into account, cam size, horsepower, rearend gears, and vehicle weight. My cam is a 290 degree duration, and they said I should run a 2500 stall. When I called Jegs for advise, they told me not to buy a higher stall convertor, because their wasn't enough car weight there for it to work correctly. They also said the cam I have should work OK with a stock convertor anyway. So I am going to get it running and try it before I spend any money. I hope their info is correct. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 10:33 pm 
i run a 383 with a 285/295 .510 lift and it would not idle in gear with a 2500rpm stall convertor i had to put a 3000 stall i run a 750 vac sec carb and use3.89 gear. the motor is 9.5-1 .and to date have gone 8.03 at 85mph on the 1/8 .a word of advice -watch the inturnal clearances the rod bolts to the cam and the rod bolts to the block .i found that a 4.11 gear likes to blow the tires off it on the starting line- p.s. this motor makes a ton of torque so put a BIG tire under it and have fun

Post subject: convertor
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 9:28 am 
Japanese Redneck

It depends on what size motor you will be running and will it be NA or will you spray it. For driveability and all around general use i would run about 3500 rpm for a stroked motor and 4000 rpm for a 350 or less. For a nitrous motor i would run a 3500 and a 3500. Also if you plan on running the jug, thats probably going to be too much gear... that is unless you are running 1/8th mile. Just my .02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:47 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

compession ratio plays a big factor too. and tire height. don`t forget not all converter companies are created equal. i`ve had some that worked great and i`ve had some that i wouldn`t recommend to my worst enemy. get your total engine trans drive train package together first. including tires that you are going to run and gear ratio. that way when you call your converter company of choice you can give them all the info they need. intended application,engine size and specs,tranny type,gear ratio,weight of truck with driver,tire height,type of track 1/8 or 1/4,nitrous or not,what dia converter you want. if they don`t ask you a bunch of questions before suggesting a converter i would look elsewhere they probably just want to releive you of your cash. one other thing also look at what people are running on the site try to find combinations similar to yours . that will at least give you some ideas. i run 406 10.8 comp ratio 230 246 @.050 555 lift 108 deg lobe separation roller 1.5 1.6 roller single plain 650 holley2.80 rear gears 3000 9" stall 11.95@111 some day i will get better gears even with that gear ratio it yanks the left front.i don`t even use 3rd gear right now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It'll have nitrous, just probably not at first....

I'm halfway copying a Hot Rod mag buildup of a 383. They claim to get 500 ft/lbs. of torque and almost 500 hp with just 9.1:1 compression.

Of course, theirs is designed for the street with the cam they used. I'm planning on running a bit higher compression and putting some better heads on than they used. Of course, the more cam the better. I started off thinking conservative, but since I have a stock luv to play with, I figured, what the hell, go all out with this one. Might was well put a blower on it too.

The one good thing about living in Memphis is Comp Cams is right down the street. Those guys have been a wealth of knowledge right from the start.

This is going to take a couple of years or more, but I have a long life ahead of me, and I just need to be patient. I have the basic materials I'll need, I just need the goodies to put on and in the engine.

Hot Rod has another buildup of a 350 with a twin Nitrous Works plate system. 872 Horsepower at 6300.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:18 pm 
OG Lifer

Well I know for a fact you can make tons of horsepower with bolt on parts on pump gas. I am building a big block for my chevelle. On my dyno program (desktop dyno) the 502 makes 1050 horses at the flywheel on pumpgas. It has 7.5:1 blower pistons, twisted wedge heads, 8.71 weiand blower, two 900 cfm demon carbs, 250 horse shot of nitrous, steel crank, chevy pink rods (or eagle rods) and big tube headers. Things always look better on paper so if I get 900 horses I will be happy. This horsepower is made at 6800 rpm so the big block won't be turning high revs.

WATCH YOUR PIEHOLE!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:58 am 
Addicted to LUV

I'm pulling the motor and transmission out of the work truck this weekend. I'm going to sell the body on ebay, but it won't be listed until I am through. If anyone wants a 90 3/4ton chevy body with a utility bed, email or PM me. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

So it began today. Me and my buddy started hacking and wrenching today to get this donor motor and transmission out. We got all the major stuff done, the exhaust manifolds and all the cooling and A/C lines, and all the electical stuff. We could have had it done today if I didn't have to go make a service call at the last minute. We worked on it for a little over 3 hours, and all we have left is to jack the transmission off the crossmember, and move the crossmember out of the way, undo the motor mounts, and hoist the motor and all out of it. Hopefully we only have about an hour or so more to go.

My mom took some pics, but I look pretty useless in all of them. My buddy saw the camera and started "posing" like he was doing all the work. Here they are, anyway.

That's me on the left....(What the hell is an engine?)
In all it's glory...
Transmission Crossmember.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:50 pm 
Resident Sparktrician

Good pics. That motor looks pretty clean. I hope you get it all out smoothly... :)

1990 Luv 4X4 "Family Cab"
with the big 4 banger on 31" Dueller A/Ts

1989 Dodge Raider with some junk...

"Urban Fighter F.P.C" coming soon to a road near you...:snipersmile:
got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It's out.
Before....
After...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:45 pm 
cool!! i give u 10 bucks for the truck now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:27 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If it doesn't sell on ebay, I may take you up on that....

Bring a trailer. :roll: :lol: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=39410

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:37 pm 
yey!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:31 am 
Addicted to LUV

test