LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:20 pm 
i want to know why u cant use the stock one? is it because its too weak or its not geared right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:49 pm 
you can use the stock rear end -but it will break in time .i ran a stock rear end for about 5 yrs and had no problem, the motor was a 350 that made about 270hp ,as long as you dont run a big tire or a slick the stock rear end is fine .the gears are either 4.10 [automatic trans] or 4.56[stick trans].you will also have to have a drive shaft made for it so dont throw the stock driveshaft away

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:05 pm 
well im kind of debating on what engine to put some people say to put a 350 but where i work at this one shop the owner is an rotary engine expert and he told me he can help me put one in my truck and i was wondering if it will hold up and also can i regear it some how?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 12:41 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I've never found anybody that makes different gears for the stock rear. For motor choice, i like the rotary because its small and can make big hp#'s and u probably wouldn't have to cut the firewall or trans tunnel. As for the stock rear holding up, well that depends on how much power you're gona throw at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:01 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

A rotary engine would be sweet. I worked with a guy a couple of years ago that had one built and it was a strong engine. They are also so simple in design. Not to mention theres not another engine in the world that makes the same sound. Obviously youll have to fab the motor mounts & trans mount. I wouldnt think it would bolt up to the stock trans. Sounds like a good idea though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:26 pm 
so im guessing to make up gearing i will have to put bigger tires?

Post subject: stock rear ends
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:38 pm 
Japanese Redneck

stock rear ends for the LUV are actually pretty durable. they can hang behind a mildy modded small block but once you start putting traction and HP and to it then kiss it good bye. Oh also a built tranny will kill it quickly too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:48 pm 
so i cant change my gears? because i dont want to have a Dart luv :wink: (v8 ) or should i just fix the gearing by putting bigger tires on the back?

Post subject: depends
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 12:40 am 
Japanese Redneck

what are you going to do with the truck. stock gears are pretty deep. you will be wingin' RPM cruisin down the freeway with a 27" tall radial and no OD trans. but yes, a taller tire takes gear out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 12:56 am 
its going to be 13b rotary engine for daily driving

Post subject: Heres what I do
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 9:34 am 
Japanese Redneck

for daily street driving and long hauls I run a 28" tall tire. when I want a little more gear out of my truck I drop to a 26" slick sometimes. thats the easy way of adding or taking gear out of your rear end. a 13b rotary can handle the rpm fine so i would just leave the deep gear in with a short tire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:12 pm 
ok then thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:12 am 

I put a carrier out of a Pup truck mid 80s,it had 3.42 ratio,If I remember there were 2 different lengths 1 about a 1" longer, use the longer one and a front yoke from a at,cut the tin shield off from around and it bolted right in.