LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: SBC heads
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 11:43 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I found a set of heads on a motor today that has been sitting around for a while and the symble on the front was like the camel back ( double hump) instead it only had one hump. i would have looked the number up but i wasnt allowed to pull anything apart yet. Help Somone Please, i'd like to know what these heads are.?????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:49 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

if you can take a pic of it and post it , it would be alot easier with the numbers though. heck buy the guy a set of valve cover gaskets so you can see the numbers before you buy.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:05 am 
Although they are rare, it is not worth putting any money into. If you are looking for a set of SBC heads, there are a lot of good ones out there much better than those. For the money, you can not beat a good set of Vortec heads.

Post subject: casting numbers
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:51 pm 
Japanese Redneck

casting numbers are important. camel humps were casted into 461, 462, 291, 292, 186. etc. etc. They came off of 62-74 engines. they are all good for medium perormance apps (up to 400-425 hp) but if they are bare and need to be redone you are better off spending the money on a set of aftermarkets. You can only port the intakes on hump heads to about 170cc. aftermarkets start off at that size and have a lot more meat on them to open up. I just bought a set of fully ported Dart heads with 280cc intake runners for $400 bare. there are bargains to be found you just have to look around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:15 am 

280cc !!!! Holy cow man, what are you gonna use those on? I hope you get an extremely huge cam to work with those. Bigggest heads I've seen around are in the 250cc range, and they flow well enough for 650+ hp naturally aspirated.
I will be picking up a set of alkuminum bowtie heads and matching intake this weekend for under $1000 complete ready to bolt on. So I agree, the deals are out there, just gotta look.
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:30 am 
OG Lifer

Those heads with the one hump are generally called single hump heads and have usually a 176 open chamber. Decent stock head but like it was stated earlier, not worth the time and money. I would grab a good ole bargain post. There are people selling 202 double humps all the time for cheap. They are bare castings usually, but you would probably have to buy stainless valves and new guides/seats and such. Watch out when it says "Double hump head off of a corvette" Those are the people who have a 194 or 176 casting trying to pass it off as a 202 without putting it in print.

WATCH YOUR PIEHOLE!!!!!!