LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:01 am 
what is a good v-6 to put in my truck that is the question. ik now i could go all the way and do the v-8 swap but i dont have the money for that so i was just wondering if someone could give me some advice on what is a good motor with a manual tranny.
thanks
kevin
lostsk8ter71684@tfo.cc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:29 am 
Addicted to LUV

There really isn't any difference in initial cost to install a v6 or v8. The cost to modify the systems correctly will be the same. In the long run a v8 will be a little cheaper to modify or rebuild plus there's more performance options with a v8. If you plan to eventually install a v8 then just go straight to a v8.
As for a good v6, the Buick 231 or 252 is an excellent option although you will need to get a even fire, vacuum advance distributor from a late 77 thru 79 motor. And the 252 will also need a 4bbl, non emission carb in the 400 CFM range.
The 4.3 Chevy is also a concideration but it will have carburator/ distributor issues as well.

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:57 pm 
Feel the Steel

Yea, if you go with a 231 make sure like Blue Meanie said, 77 or newer even fire. I didn't have a clue about that when I did mine, I put in a 76 odd fire and you can't get crap for performance parts!!!! :evil:

RIP R.J.B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:57 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

how about a oldsmobile 3.1?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:45 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Olds 3.1? Im not familiar with that motor. got any info on it? What do they come in? Is it a current motor?

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:51 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I just quickly looked around on the net and found a little info on the Olds 3.1 motor. I think it's a FWD engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

the only 3.1 i know of is the one that came in 90-94 gm j-body cars....and they ARE FWD.

and tilted....a odd engine....for an oddball :P :wink: :lol: j/k brutha

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:01 pm 
Feel the Steel

8O

RIP R.J.B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

And if they are available in a RWD configuration, you would have to retro-fit all computer controlled components. I think it would be more hassle than it's worth when you can go with a GM v6 or v8 and omit the emissions. Unless it was a turbo charged, fuel injected, fire breathing missile! There's always exceptions when it comes to going FAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:58 am 
MY cousins has an 88 olds, carb, 3.1 in it, bought it to go race car with and is pulling the ruuning 3.1.......so they evedently came in RWD becuase4 that car is RWD. Unless he is stupid (which is possibly the problem) and its not a 3.1 its a v6 of other sorts. But either way, V6 out of olds, wouldny be to hard would it, if I put a divorced t-case on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:49 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

It seems as if you guys are ignoring the obviuos. The gm 4.3 that is in millions s-10s scattered all over the U.S. GM techs are always saying its a 350 that they cut 2 cylinders off of. Theres a vast supply of after market goodies to make them fast or shiney. Am I wrong here? Why would you buy a Buick or Olds motor when you can buy a motor that is basicaly in the same family of trucks as the Luv?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:28 am 
Addicted to LUV

Yes, your correct thinking that way about the 4.3. The thing is that more people are running the 3.8 Buick because its a proven powerplant for the Luv and the firewall doesn't need to be modified to fit. The 4.3 will need the same mods as the SB chevy so why not just make the jump to a v8? Also its proven to make a Buick v6 to work without any computer controls so thats a plus where as the 4.3 will need some doing to get it to work without a computer but most would install the computer controls to make it work. The Buick V6 was the first conversion kit to be offered to the Luv truck so copying a set of motor mounts from a modified truck is also a factor. How many Buick motors and mounts have gone fron truck to truck? I dont think that there's a company that sells a mount kit for a 4.3 Luv setup. So fabricating a set is more than most weekend mechanics are willing to attempt. So i agree with you about the 4.3. It would be a great motor but i must think that they will be convinced to go v8 instead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:36 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

I havent been into the luv scene long enough I guess. Some one actualy manufactured mounts for a buick/luv swap? Wow. I was just thinking the 4.3 would be similar to the v8. And Ive seen a number of 4.3s with carbs and no computers in s-10s. I have a buick regal with a 3.8 and I love it. Im gonna cry when that car dies. You cant beat those buicks for reliability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:10 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Getting a 4.3 to fit in a Luv (i think) would be just like a 3.8 Buick. The mounts cant be too different and the Buick mounts are simple to make. In fact, a couple of guys with the site are installing 4.3s into their trucks as we speak. Also i think that the Chevy 4.3 and the Buick 3.8/4.1 have the same problem of finding vacuum advance distributors. There getting hard to find. So basicly, the motor would mount like a Buick and the firewall mods would be like a SB Chevy. It can be done.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Blue Meanie wrote:
Getting a 4.3 to fit in a Luv (i think) would be just like a 3.8 Buick. The mounts cant be too different and the Buick mounts are simple to make. In fact, a couple of guys with the site are installing 4.3s into their trucks as we speak. Also i think that the Chevy 4.3 and the Buick 3.8/4.1 have the same problem of finding vacuum advance distributors. There getting hard to find. So basicly, the motor would mount like a Buick and the firewall mods would be like a SB Chevy. It can be done.

My Luv is a 1980 and I'm in california. What if I want to keep it on the street, how does smogging the truck come into the picture?
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:29 am 
Addicted to LUV

The last time i heard was whatever motor you retrofit into a vehicle., the emissions would have to pass to whatever was newest. So with an 80 truck and you install a 84 motor, The truck must meet the requirements of a 84. If you install a motor from a 74 year, you must meet 80 emissions standards. Im assuming that this basic rule still applies. So the smoothest way of converting your truck is to get the complete vehicle of the engine your using and retrofit everything that you'll need. You might want to ask Ben and the other guys that have reworked their trucks.