LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Shoestring V8 ...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:22 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

I've decided to start a thread on this truck. I hope it will be as much fun as I think it will be.

Here's where it started:
http://forums.luvtruck.com/viewtopic.php?t=14949

Yes, the truck was free. Clear title and good tags, even.
I want to publicly thank sokoji for this great base to build a V8 truck from.
I do not have the fab skills to even get a truck to the stage that this one is already. So, I'm going to be more of an assember than a fabricator for most of this process.

I worked a 13 hour shift last night and then waited at U-haul for nearly an hour on the tow dolly, and then drove an hour to get the truck.

I had emailed a guy on craigslist (geographically in between me and the V8 truck) about a $50 305/350 combo he was selling. We emailed and made arrangements for me to pick it up at 2pm today. So on the way back, with truck in tow, I stop at his place and he opens the door and says 'huh? I thought you came and got this last night....?' He claims he had two guys interested, but admitted that I was the first to contact him, and that he got us mixed up. The other guy snagged this running combo from an '82 Caprice at 8PM last night while I was at work...bummer ...

So, as you can see the plan was to pick up the truck and use it as a trailer for the engine/tranny and have the whole works home and in the garage for a total outlay of $50, plus dolly rental and gas. Didn't happen that way, but that's the way it goes...

Here's the photos of today's trip -
Image Image
Image Image

Here's the engine that was in the truck a couple weeks ago -

Image Image

In my way tired attempt to get good information on this engine, I obviously forgot to get a good pic of the trans mounts.

There is no way I would have even considered this project without this website. Thanks luvtruck.com, hope I make you proud...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:27 pm 
da LUV masta

Is that a Custom Cruiser towing that LUV? 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:58 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

i like the waggon :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:04 pm 

Yup :D 1985 Olds Custom Cruiser. Vinyl interior, AC, PS, PB, 3rd rear facing seat, and that's it for options. 307/THM200R-4. Reads 70600 miles, and I just changed out a bunch of 5/32 FACTORY vacuum hoses, so I'd guess it's original miles. It was a one owner car before I bought it.

Here's the fun part....
Picked it up at the St. Vincent dePaul donation car lot for $350. State of Oregon would not return the one owner title as a souvenir becuase the car is not 25 years old :(

I'm the (self-proclaimed) 'king' of cheap cars. For whatever that's worth...hahahah...

I also have a 2000 Chrysler Voyager 4 door minivan with 183K on it that I bought for $750 about 10K ago. I keep the oil topped off, and put in two bottles of prestone tranny sealer when I bought it and I'll drive that thing 'til the wheels fall off. Yah, it does have a dent in the tailgate, but inside it's perfect. It burns a little oil like all the 3.0 mistu's but it's already paid for itself in miles per dollar IMO.

I honestly thought I had that 305/350 nailed down, but I was just a bit too far away to act as quickly as I should have...*sigh* I am now looking at a '77 Catalina with a transplanted Chevy 305/200R-4 for $400/OBO. 60K on the engine, 2K on the tranny... The engine can wait, I've got plenty to do to this truck before I start worrying about dumping money into it.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments on the wagon. My wife named it the day I bought it, 'Brady'. :roll: :lol:

Last edited by nukeday on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:47 pm 

I did a wiki search on SBC and was suprised to see an engine I once had was NOT listed as a small block variant.

Anyone know anything about the '78-80 267 (4.4) V8? I had one in a '79 Malibu and really liked it. No performance parts out there for it that I'm aware of, but that makes them cheap at the wreckers. There's one locally with 160-175 comp for $200.

I just heard from a friend who races at the local dirt track that I can have the TH350 he was running (6 races on it). He'll probably forget about it when he sobers up though...hahaha..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:32 pm 
da LUV masta

Don't know anything about the 267,I think. :lol:
I know in the 70's they put out a small block in the vegas and monzas etc,was thinking it was a 265.
Anyways,they are easy to spot because they did not have the mechanical fuel pump,strictly electric,and they are garbage.

As far as the Custom Cruiser......Funny stuff!!!!!

I didn't think anyone here would drive one of these old boats.

Besides myself. :wink:

Here are some pics of a 79 Cruiser that I bought for parts for my wife's daily driver.
Of course I started fixin it instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Nukeday, I've had several factory V8 Monza's with the 267's in them. That's the first thing I dumped... :lol:

FIAA!

SFPP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:53 pm 

Thanks guys. I had duals on my '79 Malibu and sometimes things are better remembered than they actually were... :wink:

I work at a factory with 24 hour operations, and there is a guy on the shift before me that I see leaving almost every day. He drives THE twin Custom Cruiser to mine, right down to the stock wheel covers, tan paint and saggy visors. His is an '86 with a center mount tail light, but other than that you couldn't tell them apart from 20 feet...it's eerie...hahaha...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Not trying to jack the thread, but I dig the wagons. Someone local has a coral colored 61 with 17 inch torquethrusts and a ls1 conversion ,almost finished for a good deal. Sweet!

FIAA!

SFPP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:13 am 
Step-side Guru

sounds like fun, good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:46 pm 

Is this a standard ram's horn or a truck model? Isn't there a shorter outlet style also?

I can almost see the numbers on it, I'll check with sokoji on the PN. He cut the passenger side downpipe to get the exhaust off when pulling the engine. This photo is of the manifold that was on the engine when it was in the truck.

I think the one here would work better...
http://www.luvtruck.com/Gallery/Project ... 6_JPG.html
http://www.luvtruck.com/Gallery/Project ... 7_JPG.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:47 pm 

Would you guys give me a little more info on why you don't like the 267? If it's an electric fuel pump engine that seems like it's one less thing to hassle with. I know it doesn't breathe real well, but I'm thinking of running a big 2bbl anyway. Your thoughts?

I'm not after performance, really. I think any V8 in this truck will provide lots of fun, but there is the 'why bother' factor with a small, unwanted engine. I'm not really going to be picky, and for what it's worth I'm a little scared to put a 300 horse engine in this truck...hahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:10 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I don't like the 267 due to lack of power and parts availability. 300 hp is a good starting point. :lol: A bone stock 350 should be inexpensive, and IMO, the wow factor and the increased resale price would more than offset the cost difference. But then, I think a 327 is too little also...

FIAA!

SFPP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:24 pm 
Addicted to LUV

those are pickup ram horns and they work real well as i had a set on a 283 that i put in my truck when i first built it.

When on a budget for your motor problems try looking for the 307 chevy with a cheap rering and bearing and a set of 305 (58cc) heads and a performer cam and intake it will supprise alot of 350 guys and it will last a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:27 pm 

Thanks mytmouz, tj ...

A 307 sounds good, that's what I'm going to look for unless I stumble on a great deal on a 350. What years was the 307 available?

After my trip yesterday I think I might have fried the OD in the tranny on the Custom Cruiser. I only had it in OD when I pulled the empty trailer up in an effort to conserve fuel, but it may have ended up costing me much more in the long run. I *think* I might be able to drive the '78 as a commuter (finally!), but the Cruiser has been my daily driver for the past several months. :cry:

Dinking around a little bit tonight on the '75, I discovered that the cab mounts have pretty much all been removed. Prolly should have looked a little closer when I put it on the tow dolly. It's not held on to the frame very well, and may actually just be sitting on it. The bed is fine, but Yikes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

307s were from mid sixtes to early 70s they work great as they have the large journal crank of a 327 witch means you con rev the snot out of them and they Luv it.

68-70s is where you will find the most of them and using the 305 heads you can get good streetable comp.

Oh and you can use the cranks in a 350 block with 327 pistons as well.

And interestingly enough most of the wagons at the time had the 307 go figure. :roll: 8) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:07 pm 

tj - I'm beginning to learn a little about the SBC. Are the heads you recommend the PowerPack heads? I thought they were 59cc? Where is the 'line' between SBC generations? I know the flywheel changed at least in '88 from the 168 tooth. Will any SBC head go on any SBC block? What's the big deal about a 'Vortec'?

I've found these two links to help me figure out what I'm looking at, is there a better source online?

http://www.73-87.com/chevy_ids/blockid.htm
http://www.aces.edu/~parmega/sbc.html#307

I realized that it's been 20 years since I've messed with Chevy small blocks. I put a Z-28 carb'd 350 in a '79 Buick Regal back in 1986. I was young, and it was the 80's, I stuck Caprice wagon springs in the rear and a set of sidepipes and drove the snot out of it :D I went through a lot of rear tires...

From there on out, it was Rambler straight 6 or Saab's or import 4 bangers (mostly toyota and datsun). Strangely, of the 200 plus cars I've owned, I don't think I've ever owned a Honda. Weird.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:02 pm 

More photos...strange weather here in OR today, overcast and low clouds, high humidity but still no rain...

Bulkhead:

Image Image
Looks like it got hit on the pass side front. The distance from the top of the bulkhead to the hood edge is about 3 inches more than the drivers side. The square tubing is for the externally mounted radiator that was on it.

Image Image

Engine Mounts:

Image Image

Trans Mount:

Image Image

Rear End (9"?):

Image Image
Image Image

Body:

Image Image
Bed had a fuel cell or big tank under it at one time. The filler hole and mounting holes can be seen here. It also has a frenched antenna with nothing in the hole. I covered it up for now to keep the rain out.

Let me know what you guys see. Feel free to be brutally honest, I didn't build it, and I won't be offended. I do need your help if I'm going to try to put it on the road, though. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Looks like a late 60's early 70's C-10 truck motor mount with the center bolt . Home made crossmember for trans , an 8 inch ford rear with 4x4 or long wheel base 4 leaf rear springs .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:01 am 

Is this the small block mount I need?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next