LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:34 am 
PITA Old Fart

1okey2go... your post you linked to is about you putting a Trooper 4X4 rear end in a Luv- not a mid-to-late 80's 2wd Pup rearend in a Luv....which BTW goes together a bit easier than what you decided to do...lol

You just don't get the benefit(?) of having the rear disk brakes that a newer Trooper has - but for a stock truck that aint gonna be hauling/towing much real heavy stuff (because it aint stout enough and aint got enough power to do it anyway...lol) - IMHO they really aren't necessary.

FYI - I'm running around with a pretty potent built Impulse1.9 G200z in a '78 shortbed stepside Luv with a 5 speed/rearend/driveline out of an '86 Isuzu Pup that I drive the hell right out of - and I've never broken anything or had any problems stopping it.

So just or the record...a 5 speed from a Pup is the same length as a standard Luv 4 speed - just the splines on the tailshaft are different.

The drivelines are the same length and the u-joints are the same - just the rear pinion yoke bolt pattern spacing and the front yoke spline count is different. And yes...the longbed Luvs all had a 2 piece driveline with a carrier bearing - just like all of the Pups did. As far as I know and according to my favorite local junkyard's manager, (but don't quote me because like I said before I've never swapped 'em) the carrier bearings are interchangeable.

And the rearend from a newer Pup fits a Luv. You just have to swap your old springs on to the newer rearend and re-locate the brakeline junction box bracket. Your e-brake will hook up fairly easy and work fine too.

So the obvious cheapest/easiest way to do the complete conversion is to swap the transmission, driveline, and rearend all at once.

If that isn't feasible/affordable, then you will still need the newer driveline or at least it's yoke(s) to get everything to connect properly.

When I did mine - I also threw in a new flywheel, clutch, throw-out bearing, pressure plate, u-joints, shocks, and rear brakes while I was at it. Me and a friend of mine started it all real early on a Saturday morning and we were all done in time to for me to go out cruisin' that night.

Doing this particular rearend/tranny swap in a 2wd Luv really isn't rocket science - it just takes a little "know-how", a few tools, a little time, a little common sense, and a little patience.

And planning things first while having a few good manuals available for technical info doesn't hurt you too much either. :wink:

There is also a free downloadable Luv master parts list zip file and a free downloadable Luv interchange zip file on the front page of this site in the information section that may help you guys out a bit:
http://www.luvtruck.com/pdf/Chevy_1972-82_Luv_Series_1-12_Master_parts.zip
http://www.luvtruck.com/pdf/CHEVY_LUV_72-78_INTERCHANGE.zip

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:37 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

1okey2go wrote:
Isn't the 5 speed longer than the 4 speed??

2x4 No they are both the same length.
4x4 4 speed is the same length as the 2x4 boxes.
The 4x4 5 speed is longer.

1okey2go wrote:
If so, that would require the driveshaft shortened, which is a pain in the neck if you're cheap like me. See this post:

http://forums.luvtruck.com/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

Also, I think all Troopers have 2 piece driveshafts, but only the long bed Luvs have them. Is that correct?

A Trooper is a Luv/Pup

From 81 to 87 the Trooper and the Pup shared the same Chassis. So if you have a LWB Trooper and a LWB pickup you can swap the cabs over. Hell you could put a Trooper cab on a 2x4 chassis if you wanted. You just need to swap the fuel tank.
The 4x4 5 speed is still the same chassis but the crossmemebers are different and in different places.

I have got a factory Luv manual here but it does not have the technical drawings of the chassis in it like my Trooper and pickup manuals do. I know the steering is different but the chassis' do look very similar.

Bob

Chasing parts for Isuzu Impulse.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:41 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Hello, can anyone help me with a 5 speed swap in a 1979 4x4? My biggest issue is gas mileage and driveability, because the engine winds out at 55 mph. Does anyone know where I can get the tranny and transfer case? I would really truly appreciate any answers I can get... Thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:34 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

It wont bolt in fit. The 5 speed box is longer and the crossmemebers are different.

Bigger tyres will get you better mileage.

Bob.

Chasing parts for Isuzu Impulse.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:46 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I have asked this question about a 4x4. I have what I think is a MN5 tranny, and I am glad I did measurements for myself, because I heard 1.5" of driveshaft shortening, when it turns out with a 3/4" play when installed, I am looking at more like 6.5" of shortening for the rear shaft alone. Either the MN5 is a completely weird tranny or I got some bad figures.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:51 pm 

If i only wanted to swap the rear end of my 1980 2wd LUV to an 83-87 pup rear end is this a direct swap or do i need an extra part.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:06 pm 
PITA Old Fart

You will need to use the Pup's rear driveline yoke because your old Luv's rear driveline yoke won't bolt up to the newer Pup's pinion yoke because the bolt hole spacing is different. The u-joints are the same on both drivelines so that shouldn't cause any problems. Plus you will have to use your Luv's rear springs on the newer Pup rearend and relocate the little metal bracket that the rear brakeline junction box bolts to on the newer Pup rear end.

It's pretty easy though....and not very complicated at all. If the Pup has a 5 speed, and if you can afford it, I'd recommend that you just swap in the 5 speed and use the Pup's complete driveline too while you're at it. You would be amazed at how much difference it makes in performance. You will gain one more gear and a higher geared rear-end that will end up making your Luv drive like a completely different truck.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:44 am 

Well i may have found a complete setup. I tried calling a couple salvage yards with no luck so i posted a craigslist wtb and got a hit. Is there a difference between the 1.9 and 2.2 83-87 pup setup. The guy has 4 parts trucks and wanted to know which one i wanted.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:15 pm 
PITA Old Fart

All G series engines will bolt up to the same 5 speed transmission. There is the G180 1.8 that they put in the Luv, Imark, etc...and the G200 1.9 that they put in the Impulse (which btw is a factory h/p engine with taller pistons, a bit better crank, a little bit bigger than stock cam, etc.) and the Pup (which is a completely stock engine)...and all will fit in a Luv. The Pup's rearend is also a lot stouter than the stock Luv's is...so that's an added benefit too.

My '78 stepside is running an Impulse G200z 1.9 engine, and the 5 speed, driveline, and rearend from an '87 Pup. I did a bit of work on the engine and bolted on a few goodies...and with that engine, the 5 speed and the Pup rearend - it's a kickass fun truck to drive.

Impulse G200z 1.9 engines are a bit rare and are kind of hard to find though. I just got lucky and found mine locally dirt cheap after looking for over a year.

Good luck and I hope you track down everything you need!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:54 am 

I mean is there a difference between the pup tranny, driveshaft, rear end. Like better gear ratio or strength. The guy says he has a pup with a 1.9 and a 2.3. I would guess the 2.3 would be the better setup.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:55 pm 
PITA Old Fart

The Pup's 5 speed transmission will give you a better gear ratio, plus the Pup's rearend is stronger and it's higher geared - so installing both will save you money on gas.

The stock G180 1.8 puts out 70 h/p max, The Pup's stock G200 1.9 puts out about 80, the Impulse G200z puts out about 90 stock, and the 2.3 is about 100. Isuzu also made a 2.6 4 banger that puts out 125 stock...so obviously if you go with a bigger engine, you are going to get more power - but a bigger engine will also decrease your gas mileage. So obviously, what you gain by switching transmissions and rearends - you will lose by installing a bigger engine.

If you want the max engine size and power in a 4 banger Luv - then you could put a built up 2.6 with a 2.3 carb intake and 2 wire electronic distributor in your truck. The next step down would be an Impulse G200z 1.9 with a G180 1.8 head. That is a high compression engine that has some serious muscle for it's size. Or you could use the Pup's stock G200 1.9 and beef it up with a cam, header, weber carb, offy intake, etc. The low end would be a G180 1.8 with the same goodies.

All parts - like a header, Offy intake, etc are interchangeable on all of the Isuzu G series (G180, G200, G200z, etc.) engines. And all parts are interchangeable on the Isuzu 2.3 and 2.6 engines as well. Plus an Isuzu 5 speed will bolt right up to any of those 5 Isuzu engines, and all of these engines will fit in a Luv.

So I guess the bottom line is - do you want more power? Or do you want better gas mileage more? If you want more power - go with the biggest 4 banger you can get your hands on. If you want to improve your top end speed, have a stronger rearend, and get better gas mileage - then install a Pup 5 speed, driveline, and rearend.

For example: there is a local guy around here where I live that is running a newer Pup's 5 speed, driveline, and rearend that has a built up 2.6 with a 2.3 carb intake and distributor in an older lowered Pup long bed - and it's pretty damn quick. According to him, he gets about 18 MPG in town and 20-22 MPG on the freeway.

My '78 shortbed stepside Luv is running an Impulse G200z 1.9 with a header, high output coil, 50 amp alternator, Offy intake, weber 38/38 carb, a custom designed Delta Cam, and an electronic distributor with an '87 Pup 5 speed, driveline, and rearend. I get about 18 MPG in town and about 25 MPG on the freeway. (But then I drive the hell out of my truck in town too...lol)

So I guess which way you go is up to you and your wallet...lol. You certainly have plenty of options to choose from. And there are plenty of guys around here that have done just about anything that can possible be done to a poor unsuspecting Chevy Luv that can help steer you through it all if you get stuck.

Either way...enjoy tinkering on your truck!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:33 am 
Addicted to LUV

If you want a 5 Spd, you need the parts from the 2.3L. Most all the 1.9L powered isuzus I've seen (besides the Impulse) are backed by a 4 spd. The axle will be basically the same strength, a 10 bolt just about like the LUV. Gears might be different but off the top of my head I don't have all the Pup options memorized. :)

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:27 am 
PITA Old Fart

Correct as always 800xl! :D

If the only choices available to you are a Pup with a 1.9 or a Pup with a 2.3 - then the one with the 2.3 would be the better choice to get the 5 speed , driveline, and rearend from. Adding the 2.3 would give you a bit more power too with out losing much gas mileage.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:12 pm 

Im keeping my 1.8 just adding 5spd tranny and rearend w/ driveshaft. Maybe i had worded my question wrong. Hopefully the 2.3 has all the parts on it. Thanks for the help guys.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:26 pm 
da LUV masta

LowBlazin wrote:
Im keeping my 1.8 just adding 5spd tranny and rearend w/ driveshaft. Maybe i had worded my question wrong. Hopefully the 2.3 has all the parts on it. Thanks for the help guys.

4x2 pups with the 2.3L gas engine have 3.73s.
or 4.11s with the 1.9 engine. i think its right????
as most know, all that are 4x4 will have 4.11s
only (some) of the diesel pups had the 3.42s with a 4 speed.

this is all 81 87 pups only.

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:05 pm 
PITA Old Fart

Quote:
4x2 pups with the 2.3L gas engine have 3.73s.

I guess that answers that question. :D

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:28 pm 
da LUV masta

sence my last post i have found out there was a CA spec truck made in 86/87 it was the diesel with a EGR systom :roll: :roll:
they all have hydro cluch transes.
its the only pre 87 pup trans thats not a cable, that i know of.

just thought id let all know, in case they found one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:59 pm 

note ..You can use the tranny, shifter, and slip yoke combo from the isuzu trucks 2.3l 89-95 but you will have to custom build your drive line . I got mine done for $158 . you will have to supply your stock drive line and new slip yoke..You will have to slide in the slip yoke into the tail shaft ..all the way..then back it out 1 inch...ok . you will now have to measure from the center of the universal to the rear end.....in my 80 short bed i got 49 inches...same clutch fork and all.....every thing else lines up perfect. I read this thread and got a lot of useful info..i just did it and thats the path i had to take ...peace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:23 am 
Addicted to LUV

dirtylil177 wrote:
note ..You can use the tranny, shifter, and slip yoke combo from the isuzu trucks 2.3l 89-95
You should be able to go as far back as the '86 models. The '86 and '87 P'ups used the same 5-speed as the '88-'95 Pickups.

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:44 pm 
da LUV masta

if the trans is from 86/87 pup with a 2.3L engine and manual trans.
the yoke will have the spline count for the newer trans, and the older U-jont size, plus the same auto will have up-grade trans,
and a 3.73 rear end :P

some more info on yokes
Quote:
Here are a few more available options where you might find the 26 count spine for the upgrade and will also have the small u-joint: I know they're still somewhat vague, but..
81-87 4x4
86-87 2wd & 4wd 2.3 gas 5 speed (not positive on the 2wd)
84-87 trooper (4x4) w/ 2.0, & 2.3 & diesel
any 4x4 yokes through 87
and…possibly 86-87 2.3 automatics.
The automatics from 88-95 were 2.6. The spline will work (26ct), but will have the large u-joint.
Just count the splines to make sure before going through with the swap.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next