LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:05 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

I've been reviewing the '$50 paint job' thread over and over. I think this is as close as I'm going to get to the factory color without custom mixing something:

Image Image

Let me know what you all think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:31 am 
Addicted to LUV

i think the color is school bus yellow or crome yellow it seems like the old yellow that was on the old buses it is a odd name but a friend of mine painted his 4x4 suburban that yellow and the name was(crome yellow) ok i hope this helps

86 1-ton 4x crewcab short bd 15"lift
75 k-5 2x
94 king cab

Last edited by budbondo on Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:57 pm 

It's from the Rust-Oleum 'Farm Implement' paint series. It's supposed to match a CAT tractor. Seeing it next to the truck, it's still too yellow, but I kind of like it.

Here is the Brightside boat paint color that I thought was closest, it costs the same per quart as the Rust-Oleum does per gallon:

Image Image

Anyone out there have paint chips for the Luv that you could scan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:41 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html

Just food for thought

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

budbondo wrote:
i think the color is school bus yellow or crome yellow it seems like the old yellow that was on the old buses it is a odd name but a friend of mine painted his 4x4 suburban that yellow and the name was(crome yellow) ok i hope this helps

look for crome yellow (bsp 206)that will be real close to the stock luv yellow

75 k-5 2x
94 king cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:19 am 

More parts!

These came from JACOB, another member here. He put them up for free with no shipping. I paid shipping and he sent them out for free anyway, thanks Jacob 8)

Disc brake booster, caliper mounting brackets.

One step closer to being able to stop the truck once I get it moving on it's own. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:36 pm 

Picked up the ram's horns tonight. These are a known good manifold for the V8 LUV swap as they came off the truck before sokoji removed the 350/350.

Here are part numbers for those looking for these type manifolds:

3866183 LH3 GM, Driver's side
3905364 RH11 GM, Passenger's side

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:15 pm 

Would someone give me a quick rundown on what's involved in replacing a cam in an SBC?

I have a used cam and lifters to put in, but I'm not sure if I have to replace the cam bearings? Can I use new pushrods and rocker arms?

In a basically stock set-up is there any advantage in going to a gear drive? They sound cool, but if there is no real advantage, I'll use the double roller timing set I've got here.

The cam I bought is supposed to be similar to a stock 300 HP Z-28 cam. It's aftermarket, and the previous owner thinks it has a similar grind to a Melling Blue Racer. I'll be running a stock 2bbl Rochester and stock 2bbl intake, w/ stock rocker arms. I couldn't resist putting a little bit of cam in it...

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:57 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You will need a long bolt that fits 1 of the three timing chain bolt holes . A spare tire hook works good and has the correct thread . You also need to gently pull the cam out , as it will try to drop as it clears the bearing races . The edges of the cam lobes are @ 90* angles and are sharp . it you are not careful you will gouge a grove in the cam bearing , which is very malible/soft like a main or rod insert . Chevy oils the small block incorrectly , I can feel the flames from this comment already , and feeds the cam first . If a cam bearing has a nick or gouge cut in it from a cam removal or install it will hamper or lower oil pressure to the crank/ rod bearings . AMC , BUICK and FORD figured this problem out early on . They also learned that if you put the oil pump up front with the distributor the cam itself will have less load on it . This helps with accurate timing due to cam deflection . I hope this helps . I have no brand preferance . My opinion is it is all iron , it had no choice on who cast it . The men who built these motors back then are smarter then i will ever be . OH, package sent .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:06 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I'm with you on the paint color . It works for me .

Ben had a video from the inside of his truck on a couple of blast , this will inspire you .

One of the pics you had had an 1850 / 4150 holley , ditch the 2 bbl and rebuild this carb . If the throttle shafts are tight it will be a good one . Check out 1967-1972 chevy truck site . They have a FAQ area that has a good rebuild write up on that carb that was in the pile . It will work good on your mild build . square bore intakes are cheap .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:25 pm 

Thanks hotrod80! The rebuild book I have recommends using the cam gear itself as a 'handle', and standing the block on end to remove/replace the cam. I think when the time comes, I'll be able to do it that way.

So, if I understand you correctly, there is risk in both installing and removing the cam. From what you've said, it sounds like I can keep my cam bearings, provided I don't hit them when I remove the old cam. Is that right? Is there a way to determine what the lift/duration is on a used cam? I'm guessing there is a number or something stamped on the end?

Here it is, seems like I got an OK price on it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... R40QQfviZ1

I'm pretty familiar with 60's American 2bbl's, which is why I bought the one I have, but I will continue to look for the right carb. Will the Holley work with a stock intake? I really want a Streetmaster, but just can't seem to find the extra $ for it until the motor is further along. I'm suprised at how much quality gaskets cost.

Inch by inch, but I'll get there :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:42 am 
da LUV masta

Hey Man How goes it I am glad you stuck with the luv and impressed on the scores cool cool! Hey I got luv parts still I'd be willing to part with for like dirt cheap I got rid of the damned storage shed just the other day. well let me know I ll hook you up.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:45 am 
Addicted to LUV

If you can keep your foot out of it, the 4 barrel will get better mileage than the 2 barrel due to the smaller primaries.

FIAA!

SFPP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:04 am 

Thanks mytmouz, I hadn't thought of that. I'll start scrounging for a squarebore intake and carb.

I think I can probably sell my 2bbl setup for at least what I paid for it. I'm pretty sure this is a sought after intake for stock 2bbl class racing, circle track I think...

My intake is 3973467, and the carb is a Rochester 7041114. It's listed at NHRA as a '71 factory setup for a 245 HP, 350, 10-1 compression, hydraulic lifters, 63.3 cc heads and an AT.
(http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/engine/blueprints/CHEV-71.rtf)
Looked like a good buy to me when I saw it, although I think the numbers on my 010 block put it at 9-1 w/smog heads. Probably not going to be a 245 HP combo with the stuff I have to work with...

It looks similar to this one...only a lot dirtier...LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Small-Bl ... dZViewItem

Image Image

Image Image

OK, so what is that dongly, springy thing on the intake for, in the last pic? Sorry for the crappy pics, it's late... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:36 am 
Addicted to LUV

i think it is part of a manual choke and will you take a pic of the other side of the carb for me i have that carb on my wifes 63 and i need to see the other side thanks

75 k-5 2x
94 king cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:14 pm 

I just spent 1/2 of next month's truck budget, but I couldn't pass this up for the price. Let's hope it doesn't need a lot of work...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Edelbroc ... 0209363458

I have about a day's extra pay for New Years, and it's gone now, lol. Looks like I'll pick this up shortly too...

http://eugene.craigslist.org/pts/529548465.html

budbondo, I'll get pics for you of the carb...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:06 am 

Photos for budbondo...

Image Image

Image Image

And my replacement :D

1850-5 1902, manual choke, mechanical secondaries. $60, and it looks brand new! Guess it's beans and rice for the rest of the month...sure wish someone else in my family liked SPAM...lol :smt009

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:46 am 
Addicted to LUV

perfect thanks so much i saved the pics :lol: :wink:

75 k-5 2x
94 king cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:02 am 

Nukeday,

It was nice to meet you last night. Looks like your Luv project is coming right along. My wife Wendy was glad to here about your project. She still has very fond memories of here first vehicle a '78 Luv. Enjoy the Carb and I will have to check out your project some time.

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:25 pm 

The 2bbl intake and carb are now on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :IT&ih=014

Reserve is what I paid for them. Pass the word. :D

Last edited by nukeday on Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next