LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 4.3 Buick into 76 luv
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:32 pm 

Hey guys, I was offered a 4.3l out of a Buick that was then put into a boat and has now been sitting in a garage for 5 years. I've had and worked on my luv for 5 years now but I have a bent connecting rod and is no longer driveable. I've always wanted to do a swap but I don't know much about the 4.3. So does anyone have any tips on what I should do to the engine before I attempt to put in? Also if anyone knows what kind of headers would work on it that would be awesome. Lastly I wanted to put a 5 or 6 speed manual in so I was wondering which transmission would be best for that and if I'd have to change the gearing in the back.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:59 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

lturner3 wrote:
Hey guys, I was offered a 4.3l out of a Buick that was then put into a boat and has now been sitting in a garage for 5 years. I've had and worked on my luv for 5 years now but I have a bent connecting rod and is no longer driveable. I've always wanted to do a swap but I don't know much about the 4.3. So does anyone have any tips on what I should do to the engine before I attempt to put in? Also if anyone knows what kind of headers would work on it that would be awesome. Lastly I wanted to put a 5 or 6 speed manual in so I was wondering which transmission would be best for that and if I'd have to change the gearing in the back.

Is the 4.3L the Buick design or Chevy? I would be very cautious of any engine used in a boat application. Check it out very carefully for rust in the block and passages, etc.
Hooker had a mounting kit for the Buick engine. At one time they also had headers for it. You should be able to use the PowerByAce 700R4 trans mount for the T-5.
PBA has a mounting kit for the Chevy 4.3L and T-5 transmission. Also headers.
Engine mods run the gauntlet, just how fast do you want to go. How much money do you have.

76 LUV w/ 4 speed should have a 4:10 rear end and with the over drive 5th gear should go nicely. There is an higher ration that was used w/ the automatics, 3.64 I believe. Unless you make banzai runs all the time the stock rear will work for quite a few years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:19 am 
Addicted to LUV

The 76 with manual transmission has 4.56 gears. The auto had 4.10s.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:15 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

drummerforhire wrote:
The 76 with manual transmission has 4.56 gears. The auto had 4.10s.

Correct, '77 was the changeover year, manuals went to 4.10 gears, autos to 3.73 gears. The 3rd members are all interchangeable except for maybe the length of two bottom mounting studs, so use the ratio that suits you best.