LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: curiosity
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:54 am 
PITA Old Fart

Does anyone know what other engines that the stock intake and exhaust manifolds off of a Luv (Isuzu) 1.8 will bolt up to? Someone at my local boneyard told me that they will bolt up to a 1.9, 2.0(?), 2.3, 2.6, etc. What he was trying to convince me is that you could basically take any size Isuzu Pup or Trooper engine, drop it in, and use it like a short block with your external stuff and eliminate the need for major modifications to your setup. If even a part of what he said is true, that would be a quick fix for a little more muscle under the hood. I've done that for freinds with older cars/trucks with tired engines and limited budgets and that's basically what you do when you buy a used crate motor. Thanks. Later :twisted: -TAZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:02 pm 
Resident Sparktrician

The only one that I'm sure of is the 1.9 because that is what I'm doing. The 2.3 and 2.6 have a different head (if those two share the same head, I don't know). I believe the 2.0L has the same head as our's (at least it looks to be the same, but looks can be deceiving). I think the 2.3 and 2.6 may have been DOHC, but i would have to verify this. I'll do some checking and see what I can find out for you...

1990 Luv 4X4 "Family Cab"
with the big 4 banger on 31" Dueller A/Ts

1989 Dodge Raider with some junk...

"Urban Fighter F.P.C" coming soon to a road near you...:snipersmile:
got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:14 pm 
Resident Sparktrician

Ok, as far as the exhaust compatibility goes, pacesetter offers headers for seemingly all the Isuzu motors (exc. 3.5L). They seem to use the same part number for the 1.8, 2.0, and 2.3. The 2.6 is a different number, but i don't know that this indicates a difference in the manifold flange, or just a difference in collector/piping size. Here is the caltalog link, so you can draw your own conclusion: http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/headers_truck.htm

Look under Isuzu (not Luv)...

got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:01 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The 2.3L has round ports on the exhaust compared to the LUV 1.8L squarish ones. The 2.3/2.6 intake even if the ports are the same, a lot of other stuff is different like the position of the distributor (just aft of #4 intake runner) and probably the cooling channels. I would not count on anything that bolts to a 1.8L bolting up to 2.3L except the motor mounts and the transmission. Even the carb mounting bolts on the intake are different spacing than the 1.8L. Basically my perfect 2.3L swap would be stock 2.3L intake topped with a Weber kit, Calmini header, followed by a 5 spd trans. Not as cheap as a plain short block plus head, but that would take care of just about everything.

The 1.8L, 1.9L and 2.0L all appear to be the same, but it is hard to tell and I don't have any direct hands on experience with the 2.0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:11 pm 
Resident Sparktrician

Opinions are like assholes and everybody has one, but, in general, I think Calmini is a little overpriced (I don't specifically target their headers, nor do I downplay their quality with this statement). They have a tendancy to paint things blue, put a sticker on them, and charge more money for it. I would take a look around, and look for direct manufacturer items to save a little cash.

Just my .02...

Edit: Sorry, I drifted off topic...

got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:54 am 
Addicted to LUV

The suspension components, yeah I'll go with ya on that one. Blue krylon a swayaway torsion bar and buy just the t shirt and sticker from Calmini. The header isn't a bad deal for coated and I like the look of it. Pace Setter does not really impress me, and Thorleys are kinda tough to come by. (Probably because Cal buys them out of stock, looks like the same unit to me) I'd go with www.independent4x.com for suspension parts. In point of fact, I have spring/shackle bushings coming from them now. ;)

The 2.3L, and as far as I know the 2.6L are SOHC. Also it seems likely to me that the 2.0L head might have a different size combustion chamber, but I think the intakes should bolt on. Dunno what it seems likely to me the head would be different, but I just have that feeling.

Edit: Actually my torsion bar example is a bad one, Calmini is cheaper than Indie4x, plus comes with the blue paint free... ;)

Post subject: let's sort all this out
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:42 am 
PITA Old Fart

Sooo............. if I wanted to use my stock intake and exhaust in my 81 2wd Luv and get a little more muscle , then I could snag a 2.0, bolt on a 5 speed tranny from an early Trooper, and be down the road pretty cheap. I already know that the 5spd has to come out of a pre-87 Trooper 4wd and after unbolting it from the transfer case it will work in my truck. My next question is : What model/year can I get a 2.0 out of that wil bolt right up to my intake(with all my stock smog crap) and my exhaust? This would seem to me to be the logical approach to putting together a win/win combination that wouldn't be a lot of hassle/expense, wouldn't take alot of mods, and would appear to be stock(can't forget those lovely smog inspectors,can we), and wouldn't kill you at the gas pumps. Pretty clever, huh? Later :twisted: -TAZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:12 am 
Resident Sparktrician

A couple of months ago, there was an Impulse sitting in our junkyard, here in town, with a 2.0L motor in it. But, in general, the answer to your question is an Isuzu Impulse. They also come turbocharged, if you can find one...

One more thing. If you can't find a 2.0L, get a 1.9L. The 2.0 is 1998cc, and the 1.9 is 1949. Not much difference, but, I know, every bit counts...

got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject: Impulsive
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:03 pm 
PITA Old Fart

What year of Isuzu Impuse had the 2.0 and did they come with carbs or injection? Later :twisted: -TAZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:30 am 
Resident Sparktrician

I'm not sure, but I can do some digging and find out. It may take a while, but I'll get back to you...

got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:51 pm 
Addicted to LUV

if it helps the one i had was FI w/ turbo and it was a 85 (i think :? )

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:46 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Nissan z24...... intakes are that same..... I checked... at least to an 80 1.8