LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:01 pm 
well i was thinking if i can take like a regular 2wd luv and convert it to a full time 4wd truck with straight axles and i dont know maybe a 350 engine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:22 am 
Addicted to LUV

Of course it is possible, and probably easier than turning a 2WD LUV into a 4WD LUV using the stock 4x4 front suspension.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:57 am 
but my thing is is there something u can adapt to the tranny? to make it full time 4wd?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:06 am 
Addicted to LUV

I guess I'm confused. I sorta figure if you're talking about changing the motor you will be losing the stock trans. You would need some kind of transfer case for 4WD, and while you could run a divorced case behind the stock transmission, I don't think I would want to. Seems like it would be better to upgrade the transmission and match it to the transfer case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:15 am 
ok my thing is can u let say for an example drop a 350 in a luv with a th350 and put some axles on the front and back is there something u can adapt to the tranny to make it full time 4 wheel drive when i mean full time i mean like im on the freeway and all wheels have power

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:02 am 
Addicted to LUV

Grab the drivetrain out of a Typhoon or Cyclone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:51 am 
Addicted to LUV

Ah yes the CycLUV, that was about my first reaction to the Cyclone when they first came out. That would be one fun LUV truck mod.

I guess you can go two ways on this idea. You are either making a full time 4x4 truck with off-roading in mind or you are making an All Wheel Drive street machine. The two are basically different beasts, but the principles are the same. Like I said I don't know the transfer case models you want, but GM has put out several full time 4WD models over the years that are your basic 4x4 design. I'm sure someone here can name the right t-case models to drop behind that TH350 or a TH400.

For the AWD thing, you don't want too much extra height, so a solid front axle might not be the best idea. Not that I have any better bright ideas but there has to be some IFS setup that would work, and really upgrade the handling to go with all that traction. You could go with a straight axle and just keep it as low as possible, but you have a lot of things to watch out for. The diff would start to get really close to the oil pan with a 350 in there for example. There might be better choices of transfer case to get power to the front wheels for an AWD setup than using something designed for a 4x4/offroad application. Maybe someone else would have some ideas here as well.

I'd check out the Typhoon and Cyclone for ideas on an AWD. Someone out there has to have dropped another body over one of those by now, or pulled the running gear and drive train over to another rig.

Edit: Look for Syclone or Typhoon, not Cyclone, GM and their creative spelling. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:15 pm 
man an AWD luv would kick ass as a street machine but it would be much harder to acomplish so i was thinking an ofroad AWD would be cool.
can u imagine how much grip u would get man!!! :twisted:

Post subject: 4wd conversion
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:52 am 
I have a 74 Luv converted to a 4wd. I used I.H. Scout springs & rears (dana 44 &30) 350,4 speed,full size trans case. The New process 203 is a full time trans case used by Chevy in the 70s. If your building a street machine this probobly wont be the best set-up .Good luck Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:15 am 
OTT industries makes an adaptor to run a divorced toyota transfer case behind pretty much any transmission. toyota cases are easy to find, durable as hell(will stand up to a smallblock no problem) and have lots of aftermarket options available, such as super low gears for 4lo

http://www.ottindustries.com/divorcetoyota.htm