LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 79 4x4 engine swap
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:13 pm 
I have a 1979 4x4 with a tired engine in it.. what could I replace it with that would be easy to install. Im not looking to make it a power house, Just more power than it has so I can to some towing... I am also thinking of doing the trans with the Engine... The one in it is a stick 4 speed.. What engine/tarns combo will be the easyest to install?

Last edited by MadAthlon on Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:51 pm 
Resident Sparktrician

I'm going with a hyped up 1.9L Isuzu engine, but it has proven to be a formidable challenge to get all the parts together. If I had it to do again, I would go with a Toyota 22 series, Isuzu 2.3L, or Isuzu 2.6L (Older Troopers have them). If you do this, I would recommend that you grab the 5speed tranny attached to it as well.

This is just my 2 pennies...

1990 Luv 4X4 "Family Cab"
with the big 4 banger on 31" Dueller A/Ts

1989 Dodge Raider with some junk...

"Urban Fighter F.P.C" coming soon to a road near you...:snipersmile:
got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:50 pm 
Im not looking to hype anything up.. I just looking for something that I can easly drop in and go...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:03 pm 
how about a toyota 22R engine with 4wd tranny like off a 83 toyota truck or maybe even an 86

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:16 pm 
Resident Sparktrician

The motors that I listed wouldn't really "hype it up", but you would get some good power. I would consider selling the 1.9L Isuzu motor that I have for what I have in it. I would probably want to keep the head though. PM me if you want the details.

By the way, I'm in Oregon, so I'm not too far away...

1990 Luv 4X4 "Family Cab"
with the big 4 banger on 31" Dueller A/Ts

1989 Dodge Raider with some junk...

"Urban Fighter F.P.C" coming soon to a road near you...:snipersmile:
got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:37 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

77 4x4???????????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:30 pm 
Opps typo, thanks.. I missed it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:55 pm 
i'd either go with a 22r(i own a toyota, know quite a bit about them) or i see that many isuzu trucks had a 2.3l carbed engine, that'd probably work

the 22r and toyota transmissions that went into 4x4 trucks would probably be a good bet. the transfer case output is on the passenger side, not sure about the luv(as i don't own one...yet :p), but i think it's the same as the luv. if you take this route, try to get a W(like a W56) series transmission instead of the older G series such as a weak G52 or G53 that often blew up after 200k because the bearings were too small.

22r engines are well known for their reliability, they usually go 300-400k miles until a rebuild. also, parts are everywhere and they tend to be cheap because the engine was made from 1981 until 1995 at least. it's available in a carbed version, a EFI version(22re), and a rare turbo version(22r-te). stock, the engine isn't blazingly powerful, with about 95 hp, but you can get a few dozen ponies by adding a weber 32/36 or 38, as this motor was notoriously undercarbed. a header can spice things up a bit too, although often to the cost of some torque. but i'm sure that if a properly equipped 22r in a toyota 4x4 can turn 35" tires without any problems, it'd work great in a luv :)

i tow my 13' boat around with my toyota 2wd, bone stock, the only place where it gets scary is on the freeway, since the stock carb bogs it down a bit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:19 pm 
this space for rent

if your looking to do towing 5th gear or over drive will be useless to you. i would shoot for a 1.9L isuzu whith the same tranny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:25 pm 
Sounds good.. but will it just drop in? If not, what mods are needed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:55 pm 
i'm guessing the toyota engine/transmission/transfer case might need new drive shafts, and possibly different engine mounts. otherwise it should fit right in the engine bay, you might have to cut a new hole for the shifters though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:07 am 
Addicted to LUV

I just picked up an Isuzu trooper with a 2.3L and a 5spd. From a superficial look around at it, it looks like the 2.3L and trans/tcase would be a bolt in swap to a LUV, but its hard to tell for sure without a tape measure and a lot of time looking at it.

A 22R would almost definitely take different motor/trans mounts and drive shafts, but I can't think of much else that would get in the way. It is such a common powerplant that finding parts for it would be really easy, both replacement and performance. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, except that I'm not overly found of toyotas. That is just a personal bias though. ;)