LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: V8 Headers
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:12 pm 

Last year I purchased a 79 LUV with a 350, TH350, Ford 9". I have recentley rebuilt the engine, trans, cleaned up frame, and added step side.

Now I am ready to reassemble. I will be adding a new exhaust system. What type of headers are out there that will fit this combo? I really don't want to use the stock exhaust manifolds that it had. I was hoping to add 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust pipe. Not sure if it will clear or not. The previous owner pounded the 2" exhaust down to about 1" so that it would clear.

I hope to post pictures soon.

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject: luv headers
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 4:04 pm 
Hooker used to have them years ago.Maybe they still have some and/or make them give them a try.Also,go to the general forum and ask Ben or Phil they seem to know the latest about luv stuff.
Later,Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 5:27 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I used a set of block huggers, mainly because they were cheap compared to the Hooker swap headers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 8:41 am 

Bob,

Did you have any trouble clearing the cross member using the block huggers?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 4:12 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

The muffler shop made it work with 2 1/4" pipe, but it was really close. They said that it took them about 4 hours to do it and run the rest of the exhaust. Unfortunately that ended up costing me like $450- $500 (including the flowmasters). So i dont know which is cheaper, getting block huggers or the hooker swap headers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:30 am 
da LUV masta

Yeah I can feel Bobs pain. Do yourself a favor and get the Hooker headers. I myself cut corners, and used stock manifolds, I mainly did this due to smog requirements, but doing this was the dumbest move I made. The floor boards get so hot on the passenger side I had to put hi-temp insulation on the floor boards to prevent melting tennis shoes in the summer! Also my cost saving move ended up costing me over $612 to have an exhaust (custom made) by the local muffler shop, and to top it all off, I hate the system, it's 2" Y pipe to a single 3" exhaust with one flowmaster and I plan on tearing it all out when I do the new motor. So for about half that I could have just got the hooker headers and ran my own system with straight pipe. This still remains to be my biggest Dohh! in my car tinkering hobby. Oh and if anyone is interested in buying my exhaust let me know! LOL

---------------------------------------------
63 Nova
74 Camaro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:16 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Oh yeah i forgot to mention that my driverside pipe ran right under my oil filter and dumbass me didn't think about that being in the way of changing the filter. I tried to pull the exhaust of the way, but it was easier to pull the motor out. All just so I could put a filter relocation kit on. Maybe someday I'll learn not to take shortcuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:57 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Don't know if this will help you guys with the custom setups but on mine even with the Hooker Headers, changing the filter is a bitch. I finally cut a notch in the fenderwell towards the bottom, big enough to slide the filter through. Now it's relatively easy.

Still, I can only run a PH30 which is a rather small filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:07 am 
Addicted to LUV

thanks for the info.
I might run a relocation setup if that is the case.
I cant stand a hard to change oil/filter system......d'oh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:05 am 
Addicted to LUV

I used a relocation system on mine at first also. Changing the filter was a snap with that thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:02 pm 
if your pipes are close to the floor pan and get the inside real hot i have an easy fix just wrap the pipes with header wrap it makes a world of diffrence

Post subject: V-8 headers
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:44 pm 
Hooker makes the conversion headers. there are pros and cons to them. they the passenger side requires that one tube go around the ouside of the frame rail thus requiring a slip tube. The Super Comps are 1 3/4" primary diameter which is a more performance oriented size. they are also pricey. Hooker should have just make these "fenderwell exit" (like the early chevy II) to make things easier.

Most Block huggers are limited to 1 5/8" primary which may limit performance. I spent a few extra $$ and bought the Sanderson 1 3/4" block huggers and had a new longer L shaped collector welded to them. The collector diameter is 3" and there is no clearance problems with the exception of its hard to get the oil filter out. some better planning on the muffler shop could have prevented this. I recommend the block huggers if you are going for medium to high performance and a custom st of fenderwell headers for full race.

Post subject: sanderson headers
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:52 pm 
I also used Sanderson. Im using their CC3's and am very happy with the fit and quality. You can reach them at 1-800-669-2430. Make sure and order their catalogue it comes with all necessary measurements. Good luck Bryan

Post subject: Headers
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:03 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I used a set of block huggers on one once.If you change the whole front end to a Mustang ll ,you can use camaro or nova?This is a BUNCH of work ,but by eliminating the torsion bars you have all kind of room.I removed the transmission crossmember so the transmission can be removed without pulling the engine. I used a mustang double hump crossmember for the new trans. crossmember.I just got a scanner so I will try to get some pictures of this modifacation posted shortly.

Post subject: headers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:21 pm 
i have a 1976 with hookers and the slip tube around the frame is no problem. oil filter is easy too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:07 pm 
Has anyone used the S-10 headers in their LUV. I am thinking about trying them.They are a lot cheaper than the Hooker LUV headers. Headman has them for about $105.00.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:27 pm 
the s-10 shorty v-8 headers work great and the the price is right about $100 from jeg's or summit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:32 pm 
Yes S-10 headers will if and they fit very well there is a luv here in town that has them and the look and work great and there only about $120 from jeg's