LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:57 am 
ok if you've read the last posts you've heard were putting a 351 in the luv, yes thats a 351 and not a 350 (hey what can i say, chevy had izuzu make the engine in the first place so a ford can't be any worse off)

anyhow

rear ends - whats the best option?

i want at least a 8" but preferably a 9"
which ones will fit WITHOUT shorting the rear end - thats money I don't want to look at spending.......

and if we find one, what is going to be our best choise in gears? 3.something? 4.something?

thanks guys :drinking:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:44 pm 
Addicted to LUV

What axle is in the Crown Vic? If its a 9", Adapt the driveline to the stock rear end and take your time reworking the axle from the Crown Vic to fit the truck. Basicly the only thing that will fit the Luv is the stock axle and axles of early S-10's. If the Crown Vic axle is a 9", It will save you in the long run to get the 9". Run with the stock axle for now. It will work around town and you'll still have to iron out some of the bugs of the truck once its running. The gear ratio of the Crown Vic axle is suited for the engine. You might be suprised on how well the gearing works for you

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:32 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

I just measured a ford ranger with the 8" and it was about 10" to wide. I suppose you could get a wheel with an odd offset. As far as the gear, depends on what youre intensions are. If its primarily street I wouldnt go with a 4 something. Had a firebird with a 4:10 and it sucked on the street even with a tall tire.

Post subject: rear end swap
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 1:28 pm 
My 75 has a chevy monza 10 bolt that has held up to a .060 over 327 with a th350 for quite some time with no problems. It was instaled befor i got the truck so.. Best of all all you need to do is weld on the spring mounts and have fun. I do plan to swap to ether an 8" or 9" but the funds just arent there right now so the little 10 bolt will have to do.

Post subject: rear end swap
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 1:28 pm 
My 75 has a chevy monza 10 bolt that has held up to a .060 over 327 with a th350 for quite some time with no problems. It was instaled befor i got the truck so.. Best of all all you need to do is weld on the spring mounts and have fun. I do plan to swap to ether an 8" or 9" but the funds just arent there right now so the little 10 bolt will have to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:20 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

My wagoneer axles are only 5 inches to wide, and with the offset I'm running the tires (31/10.50-15's stick about bout 2 inches.
CJ jeep axles are only a couple inches wider, and with a little offset would work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 9:21 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

i run the ford maverick 8" in mine the rear end is a little wide for the truck so i run a centerline wheel with a 6" backspacing to compensate. so far the truck has run 11.95 at 111 with the stock 2.80 gears and a mini spool. it yanks the front tires with this set up. eventually i will get the steaper

gears. right now i don`t even shift into 3rd at the track. :twisted:

Post subject: rear ends
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:19 pm 
We run an 8" ford from a v-6 pinto in out mine stock race car. I think it will also fit the luv im building but I haven't got out the tape yet to make sure but it is one option I havn't seen mentioned yet. The good thing is that most of them come with 3.55 gears ,28 spline axels and drum brakes and I think they can be driled out to a 5 lug pattern from the stock 4 lug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:34 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

whats the width on that monza rearend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:47 am 
Addicted to LUV

monza rear width is same as S-10 rear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:27 pm 
If your really on a budget, go with a welded up (stick welded) 10 bolt S-10 rearend. It bolts right up, is already 5 lug, and I think the later ones are 28 spline. A freind of mine ran one like this in his Luv for a while until he could afford what he really wanted. It had 3.73 gears, and with a small block and a little gas it was running 6.90's. We used to watch Luv trucks run these rearends all the time. I'm not saying they'll never break, but it is a cheap option. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:40 am 

If you're not racing the stock rear will hold up.I have a warm 350 in mine.I got a 3rd member out of a mid 80s Izusu pup truck,got a 3.42 ratio, just use good u-joints.I maybe in my 40s,but when I drive the truck watch out rice burners!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:51 pm 
THE MAVRICK REAR 4 THE 8IN 1960 CONTRY SQUIRE 4 THE 9 IN ITS 501/2 IN WIDE :crazyeyes:

Post subject: 8" ford
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:34 pm 
the 8" out of a pinto should be a near bolt in. You will need to find an 8" out of a v-6 pinto. My luv has a monza rear end that is 52" wide and the v-6 pinto is about the same so it should fit just fine. they usualy have 3.55 gears too.