LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 6:59 pm 
ok well this is a two part post - a couple questions before I get head deep into this swap - part two is an estimated cost

i bought my 351 crownvictoria and the engine is in awesome condition

part 1: couple early questions

how hard is this really going to be? i know it will take work and time to pull the engine out but isn't it as simple as keeping the engine and trans hanging in the air while the measurements are made for the motor mounts and transmission mounts?

what about the firewall? there are a few that had modified it but from the looks for most pics hardly anyone has had to do any serious work on it if anything to get the tranny to fit in the stock tunnel - am I looking at alot of work there?

part 2: est. cost
Luv body - $250 (bought)
Crown Victoria with 351 and trans - $300 (bought)
Custom Drive Shaft to match stock rear end - $100
Metal/Alumium for mounts and custom dash - $100
Guages - $150
Fuel Cell - $150
New Rear End and Drive Shaft - $100 + 200 (or so?) S-10 10 bolt

so thats roughly 550 so far and another 800 for the majority of the project - just to get it running then i will worry about performance stuff

is there anything major I have over looked in my costs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:14 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I wouldn't worry about getting a Fuel Cell just yet. That can be done later unless you decide to 4 link the rear section also.(thats a project for later). What about the radiator? thats about 200 bucks. You never told us if your 351 motor will interfere with the steering column. That could cost some money to work around. What about a shifter? And an e brake setup? Dual exhaust?

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:28 pm 
Blue Meanie wrote:
I wouldn't worry about getting a Fuel Cell just yet. That can be done later unless you decide to 4 link the rear section also.(thats a project for later). What about the radiator? thats about 200 bucks. You never told us if your 351 motor will interfere with the steering column. That could cost some money to work around. What about a shifter? And an e brake setup? Dual exhaust?

well the fuel cell will have to be soon or a custom gas tank for the bed cause i junked the other cause it was messed up

were going to try and use the fan and radiator out of the crown vic - if not well have a midnight raid on a junkyard haha jk

were not sure about the 351 and steering colum - well only know when we have the engine pulled out and hanging in the air...

its an auto (wish it was standard) so for now we'll rely on the transmission to keep it from rolling
dual exhaust is a posibility but definity later cause so far this truck is just gunna be for the strip well make it street legal after we get it running....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 9:14 am 
I'm not extremely knowledgable about Fords, but according to QCrazy, the biggest problem your facing with that motor is the width. But by now you probably know that. As far as the trans, I'm not sure about the physical size of a C4,C6, compared to a GM turbo. On my 76, I kept the stock firewall, but I did have to roll the lip a little on the front edge of the trans tunnel. Other than that, there was no problems. If you build your own firewall, then you don't have to worry about any of it. A couple of weeks ago, I went to QCrazy's house and saw his truck and he did a great job with his conversion. His truck is Ford powered and he has obviously put a lot of work into it.
Good luck.
:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:42 pm 
anyone else have any advice...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:59 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Measure, measure and measure some more. It can be done but it looks like you'll have to be creative in some areas to eliminate problems. Have you concidered trading your 351 for a SB Chevy setup? Check around and maybe you'll find somebody that needs a 351. They might know of a way to line you up with a good small block and tranny. This way you'll both get a good deal. This is just an option you might what to look into.

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.