LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2wd th350 to 4x4 th350
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:57 pm 
I have a th350 from a 1979 chev impala can I take the tail shaft off of a 4x4 trans and mount a s10 transfer to it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:48 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

not sure, but more than likely they have different length output shafts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 9:15 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

NO you have to diassemble the transmission to change the output shaft.
The good news is several people offer kits to replace a 700R4 with a Turbo 350 and will come with a new output shaft and block to make the transfer case mont up and keep it a bolt in swap.They used to be in the 100.00 range and are availble at any transmission parts supplier.Here the local one is Daycco Detroit but there are several.Transtar is another one.
This same kit is used for a fullsize truck and is real popular.If you go to a transmission shop I am sure they can get you one but they will mark it up but then again you might want them to do the whole job unless you know of a indivual you can get to do.But if a transmission shop does it they will want to totally buit it.

Post subject: 2wd th350 to 4x4 th350
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:57 pm 
thanks for the info
I think i will look for a used pre 1980 th350 wit a transfer case already atached any sugestions to look for ?
will be installed with a chev 4.3 L

1980 Luv 4x4 stock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:15 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

All V-8 Chevy's have the same bell as the 4.3 & depending on the tranfer case you are planning on running or if you buy a complete unit a fullsize truck or blazer should get you going.If you have decent mechanical skills you can change the output shaft in your transmission yourself.If you know the transmission you already have is good and you already have a transfer case I would buy the kit.
Most 4 wheel drive transmission I have built have been abused from day one,and several I have had to replace the case on anyway for various reasons.This is of course on a truck that has been used as a 4WD and not one someone just drove around on the street.The best place to get good transmiision cores is grandma & grandpaw type cars like Impala's,big Buick,Olds ect. they see very little if any abuse.
I think it is HP books sells a good complete Turbo 350 book that will get you through it.With some close attention and a clean workbench it can easily be done in a few hours.I had a trans built and ready to go and needed one for a 4WD and changed the shaft in a half hour or so.Everything was already clean and I have done it before so I would say a afternoon and you would be set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:32 pm 
i just wanna make sure i am following you guys... you can mount a Th350 w/ transfer to a 4.3 engine right? Just thinking.. A 350 is a bit much for me... was thinking something a bit smaller.. not sure.. just wandering what type of engine i can put in either of my 80s 4x4...

Post subject: 2WD to 4WD
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:00 pm 
Does anyone know if you can pull the front end from a 80 4X4 and convert a 2WD to a 4WD? The frame and body are in much better shape on the 2WD. The 2WD is a LWB and my 4X4 is a SWB- would there be anyway to put the LWB body on to my frame? Any help please!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 5:49 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I say yall should get a divorced t-case out of a jeep or dodge or nissan.. (nissan only works if u have a straight axle swap in frotn with the dif fon driver side. dodge ahs both, and ford only has drivers side. Taht smy plan when I go bigge rmotor