LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: '79 lightless Luv
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:46 pm 
:? I have a 79 1.8 ltr. I just got it a few months ago and it did fine, but now, none of the lights work. no headlights, sigals, brakes, flashers. the dash lights do work, but none of my guages work either. I have checked for any loose/broken connections (followed all the wires), changed the light switch, checked the other switches, I am still learning about mechanics so i'm not sure how to read a wiring diagram, so I was wondering if any of you have come across this before, cause I am stumped.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:01 pm 
It took me 15 years to get this through my thick head, but probably 90 percent of electrical problems are Ground related. Wiring hardly ever goes bad, as long as nothing's fried, although connectors can be a pain, especially in older British convertibles. Refer to the first sentence.

Know why the British drink warm beer?

They've all got Lucas refrigerators-

Your dash lights work, so you've got juice to the switch. hmmmm. I know this might sound stupid, but have you checked the fuses? Start simple and work back, most of the time the problem IS something simple, like a ground problem. Does the engine start? You've replaced the light switch, so you're pretty sure all your bases are covered there... I'd grab a test light and head for the fuse panel first, and see if you've got current on the supply side of each of the fuses and go from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:17 pm 
Addicted to LUV

on the subject of fuses, the fuse box (and location of) on the luv is not in what you might call a choice location and design.
the contact points tend to get corossion on them. get a bore brush for a rifle (.223 works good) and remove your fuses and use it to clean the contacts

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:05 pm 
Feel the Steel

Yea, check the conncections at the fuse block. When I worked at a gas station, my truck would just die sometimes without warning. It wouldn't start at all one time so it sat at the gas station for 3 days while the mechanics tried to figure out what was wrong. Nobody could figure it out. Then I accidently bumped the fuse block with my elbow and the truck fired right up!! One of the wires under the block wasn't making contact. I cleaned the connection and never had the problem again!!

RIP R.J.B.

Post subject: check
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:17 pm 
I did forget to mention that i also checked the fuses, but i did it again to be sure. I cleaned the contact points and made sure everything was connected to the box...still no dice. If it might help, here's some of the problems i've had with it, and what i did to fix it. When I first got it I put in a new altinator and carburator, did good about a month. Then it wouldnt start (no fire), so in the end I had to replace the points (along the way I replaced the coil, dist. cap, plugs, wires, roter.) There have also been a few connectors where a wire came out that I've fixed or replaced (and I've checked all of those, plus the ones I didn't have to fix) And I put in a radio, and I have checked under the dash alot for anything I might have knocked loose. I also had a friend with a volts meter check a few points, but he didn't find anything unusual. Also when it first happened the dash lights didnt even work, but I found alot were burned out and i replaced them hoping that my problem might be a broken circut (like christmas lights) but now they come on, and the blinkers dont blink and nothing is on outside. I am very greatful for all of the replies I got from you all, I really appreciate the help.

Post subject: new discovery.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:36 pm 
Three of the fuses dont have juice. Numbers 6, 5, and 4 on my haynes wiring diagram. I pulled and checked all the wires going to them also and they have no juice either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:57 pm 
iVE BEEN THROUGH MY TRUCK FRONT TO BACK, ill go get my haynes and take a look. BRB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:15 pm 
Ok, been tracing this in my haynes...(logged in now) there is a large positive battery cable, and another small one, possibly containing two wires. these smaller onesfeed the ignition switch. in Acc- this powers up #6 fuse, in On- it powers up #4 & 5. to me, id guess you have either a bad starter, or more likely, a bad connection at those smaller wires that connect to your battery. Also, i'm not sure if the luv's have a "fuseable link" but if they did, thats where it would be. the first 6-12" of wire after the terminal has a special wire that acts as a fuse, if you short it out, it cooks open. it will look fine visually, but can be burnt open. Check this spot.

also, i just found by the haynes schematic,the words "fusable link". So it does have one. Id check it.

Hope this helps.

dave

g

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:16 pm 
i meant a bad starter SWITCH, not starter. duhhhhhh. :evil: 8O 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:23 pm 
the schematic shows a direct path from the battery to the ignition switch, then to the three fuses you listed.

I reread my post and confused myself. this should be esier to understand. :lol:

Post subject: think we figured it out
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:45 pm 
yeah, i realized the ignition switch needs to be on for those to work. But I've found the weirdest thing... ALL of the lights were burnt out!!! I thought about it once, but I didn't check because I didn't think it was possible. Have you heard of this?? I am hoping though that I don't put new ones in and they all blow too. tell me if you know anything, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:10 pm 
Addicted to LUV

ALL OF THEM!!! 8O 8O
thats some freaky christine like sh*t :evilbat:

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:21 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

have your charging system checked it sounds like your voltage regulator is sticking. and dumping to much voltage to your truck in time that could continue to fry bulbs,starters wires etc. . later :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:06 pm 
Geez! don't feel bad- I know it would have been a while until I would've thought to check ALL of the bulbs... yeah, I think it sounds like the lights are seeing a surge from somewhere. Good call on the voltage regulator, if that's it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:51 pm 
now that i think about it, one of the connectors i fixed (where the wire came loose) was on the voltage reg. I'll get it all checked, but it looks pretty bad anyway, so I'll just replace it too. I'll let you know how things work out, later. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:32 pm 
this space for rent

Another thing you might try. When my turn signals and gas gague wouldnt work i pulled the fuse block out and cleaned it realy good, it got realy dirty in 22years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:05 pm 
Got everything replaced, and it all works again. Thanks for all the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:42 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

what did the problem end up being so we can all have something to try if it happens to one of us? later terry :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:18 pm 
From what I can tell, the voltage regulator malfunctioned and sent a surge through the system frying all the bulbs. I was thinking though... why didn't it blow my fuses??? But I guess since light bulb filaments are considerably more sensitive than fuses, the surge was just enough to fry the bulbs and not the fuses. That's my theory anyway. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:41 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I've seen that happen on a Volkswagon bug, but not on a LUV. It's possible though.