LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:05 pm 
I went to see a rearend builder I know who said many golf carts had 9in read ends width he was not sure on
ford mavericks had narrow 9in rearends
mini trucks with dually rearends have a strong diff and the dually plate comes off for single use Hope this helps Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:28 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Very few Mavericks had 9" most were 8". Granada's had a few 9" and the lincoln version of the Granada ( Versailes probably spelled wrong but it is something like that)had some 9" with disc brakes. Again hard to find and most people that have them want premium price. I have heard of them going for more that it cost to get mine cut and axles made.The Disc brakes would be nice but I decided to go with drum for a few reasons.Early 6 cly Mavericks are 4 lug v8 are 5 lug and all are 5 lug around 73 or 74 and later. A 8" would be a good choice for a mild street truck but if you ever plan on putting some real power to the ground spend your money once and put the 9" in it and be done with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:59 pm 
Yes I forgot to add in maverics and granadas it has to be a v8 car to have the 9in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:10 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Even V8 does not mean 9" . I know a guy who bought a Maverick Grabber with a V8 and straight shift new and still has it and it is a 8". We had 3 mavericks 2 were V8 and 8" in both of them. I have never seen a 9" in one factory but always heard they did put some in them. Same goes for the Granada very few got a 9".I have seen the Lincoln 9" but they wanted $500.00 for it and you can get one cut to what you want for that.Please don't take what I am saying wrong.Just because I haven't seen one doesn't mean they aren't out there.I am just saying they are hard to find and when you do they are usually high.
If you look at the chunk a 8" is flat on the top and bottom and a 9" is rounder. I had a Maverick 8" rear end in a V8 Vega and it held up pretty good.Street use only never took it to the srtip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:09 pm 
i got my 9" from a lincoln cont. donor. 1971 vintige i do beleive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:24 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I'm toying with the idea of pulling the rear end out of the wife's Ford Aerostar. It's got an 8.8 inch with 3.73 gears. I haven't measured it yet, but it may not need to be narrowed. Don't tell her, though. :D

I don't plan on running a whole lot of strip, mainly street. There aren't too many strips here.

I'll have to find some kind of replacement, and make up some excuse to why the van all of the sudden has good top end and poor acceleration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:27 pm 
Addicted to LUV

While I'm on the subject of rear end gears, what is everyone running here? I'm kind of torn between 4.11 gears and 3.73. If I was running totally strip, I'd go to high fives, but I think 3.73 will do it for me. I'm looking in the end for maybe a high 12's - low 13's ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:41 am 
Addicted to LUV

Quote:
I'll have to find some kind of replacement, and make up some excuse to why the van all of the sudden has good top end and poor acceleration.

LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:47 am 
Addicted to LUV

About gears, running 4.56 in mine and they are just too dam low. Around town is OK but the freeway is a joke. 4000RPM at 65mph, 4500 at 75.

Running 4.10's in my Camaro and they are great in that car because I have a 6 speed.

If you don't have overdrive, I'd say 4.11 at the lowest, 3.73's would probably be better.

In the Information section of the main site there's a few speed calculators under "Miscellaneous".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:12 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Ben I am with you 100 % with the 4.11 in mine and 29x15.50 Mickey Thompson's I got on the freeway once! Around town it's great.I had a 4.56 in a Nova once,and I would consider it to low for the street without some kind of overdrive unless you stayed in town and off the freeway.

Post subject: money saving tip
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 2:15 pm 
Japanese Redneck

Money saving tip. If you want a disk brake 9" rear for your rig and you plan on narrowing it anyway but the local bone yard is asking too much for that Lincoln Versaille job, then go out and find a mid 70's (77 i think) Mercury Marquis rear end. it s a factory disk brake deal that looks exactly like the Versaille but its a lot wider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 8:35 pm 
i'm 4:56 and agree about the highway thing, BUT, Its a good trade cause it makes for a killer 1st and 2nd gear. i ve yet to run it hard through 3rd. My truck is an ONLY around towner. i will trailer it to the track because of the gears, the distance, and I have a trailer.

One sother reason i wont go fast on the highway- my hoosier 31x16.5x15's grab the road and send my little truck flying all over. does anyone else get this? what can be done?

"G"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 8:37 pm 
One other thing, I ran 3:25's for a week and couldnt get them out quick enough. Dang truck would turn 1500 rpm (or close) at 60 in third gear.

"G"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:41 am 
OG Lifer

i just sold a 64 ford f-100 that had a 9 in. nodular rear end. the rear axle was worth more than the whole truck :D . if you can find an old ford truck(1/2 or 3/4 ton) it should have a 9 in rear end :wink:

WATCH YOUR PIEHOLE!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 12:51 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I got my 9" that I am going to use out of a old ford truck.
I am going to convert it to disc before I install it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:58 pm 
just to say in my truck i run a 8'in mavrick rear end holdsup real good 6.29-6.30s in 1/8 mile only broke one just make sure u get apumpkin out of a van its a hevy duty one i all so just run a mini spool :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:57 pm 
Addicted to LUV

My 9" axle has 2.66+/- gears. I was fed up with running on the Hwy with problems. And when the National Speed Limit was raised, that was too much! Im running 14" rims with 25" tall Radial T/A street tires. i took a 200 mile Hwy road trip and the truck held up better than i did. 70 mph @ 2500rpm.

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.