LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: V-8 DROP-IN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:11 am 
I have read the information on installing a small block chevy in the Luv.
But just how hard is it really? I mean is it much worse than any other swap or compareable to the S-10 install. What about using a 472 Cadilac or a 455 Buick these weigh within 30lbs. of the small block if you use an aluminum intake plus the distributor is in the front. The question I haven't
answered is whether the pullies and fan would be any longer.
Welcome any thoughts or comments.

Tim B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:39 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

In my opinion it is easier than a S-10 and I have done both.I would suggest you leave the Caddy and Buicks alone.Althought they have a lot of tourqe , for the dollar a small block chevy is hard to beat.The other GM
engines you are talking about are wide and you will get into exhaust and steering problems.The Buick is also known for oiling problems.This however can be done but when you consider any high performance parts you buy are goig to be 3 or 4 times as high in price why not go with the easy,proven small block and if you are ready for a challange go with the Big Block Chevy.
I hope this doesn't sould like blasphemy but a Small block Ford (Fuel injected with a AOD transmission ) would be a great daily driver.The ford engine is narrow and could be bought out of a Crown Vic or Mustang.I am a Chevy man but having worked on Police cars for over 15 years this would be a great combo.
Myself I love to do engine swaps I have put a Chevy small block in a CJ 5 Jeep,90 Mustang,S-10 pickup and blazer,Vega's,Buick 455 in a 80's Regal (very few people offer buick performance parts)Pontiac 301 in a Malibu (I was walking and it was all I had at the time and drove it for years)among others.Sometimes you do a swap because it is what you have but If I were you I would look around and see what you turn up.