LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Swapping Drums for discs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:24 pm 
Well It will happen this weekend I have a complete front end from a 78 I will be swapping out my drums I have already pulled the discs off of the 78 front end and I have to really really thank Jim He gave me the best deal on this front end ! The only thing I have to do is turn the discs! The bearings and races and all othe components are BRAND NEW 8O so it should be a fairly quick job given the weather here in Washington! Yeah right. Anyway I cant wait to chnge them over I almost ended up in the trunk of a Jag 3 days ago :crazyeyes: Well anyway since I have owned her the right front has always locked up on me sometimes harder than others and sometimes not at all. I took the drum off to look at them and I have a leaking wheel cylinder so i dont even want to screw with it I am doing the swap :P Cant wait to have the comfort of the discs ! lol Well I'll tell everyone know how it went. Later y'all Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:30 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Good luck on the swap. I've never driven an older LUV with drums so I don't know how much difference it will make, but I'm sure it'll be an big improvement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:03 pm 
anything is better than thr friggin thing locking up on me all the time not to mention when it doesnt it damn near throws me into the right hand lane. and scares the hell outta me and the person in the lane. lol at 60 miles an hour not much time to react to get her straight again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:01 am 
Addicted to LUV

I lived with drum brakes for years and years on my luv and i can testify that the disk setup is a mandatory mod ,period! I too had a wheel that would lock up. The drum twin wheel cylinder design is a nightmare, the adjusters are useless if there is anydirty fluid or air in the system. The drum brake system is not worth refurbishing when there's a disk brake system to be had. This is my opinion and i may be wrong , but i doubt it.

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

Post subject: front disk brakes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:21 am 
The change over is real easy.It should not take to long either.My brakes work better but i would like to get a new master cylinder and/or booster.My brakes wont hold my truck in the water box at the track when i do a burnout :( If anybody knows where i can get a manual master cylinder for front disk rear drum for these luv trucks please let me know. :) I want to race again at Irwindale but it get a little nerve racking with these brakes 8O 8O 8O 8O .
Later,Mike Van Horn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:59 am 
Addicted to LUV

Mike, are you using a line lock? If not, I highly recommend one. It made a big difference on my truck.

Post subject: line lock
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:03 pm 
HI mike
i could not hold my truck in the water box eather :( i put a line lock and i get a sweet burn-out now 8) ,jegs or summit they are about 80$ ,by the way the last irwindale is 11/21/02 i think i'm going next thursday this thursday was rained out :cry:
anyone else in the so-cal area irwindale speedway has a drag strip ,they run every thursday ,i will bee there 11/14/02 if you come down look me up i'm howard with the blue luv on the home page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:18 pm 
Quick Update!! Well I took my discs from the 78 to get turned today. They look gorgeous ! lol anyway I get the the wheel bearing cleaned up and repacked, all components wire brushed and cleaned and ready for intall. I walk outside and true to form......... Washington form that is It is friggin pouring outside. :cry: So I just turn around and walk back in disgusted :x and pissed that I'm living on the base :evil: (most base housing have no garages) It's times like this I just wish I had a carport. :wink: Well I'm keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow the rain wil wait for about 2 hours til i get the swap done. On that note this disc brake swap has cost me a total of hmm leem see $50 for the 78 front clip $20 to get the rotors turned and $2 for the wheel bearing grease. Hell not bad at all a whopping $72 Sorry guys I know that I lucked out and most wouldnt get it done this cheap. I mean Jim helped me out major with the front end It had new bearings and races in it, the brake pads are brand new other than that everything else is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:54 pm 
Addicted to LUV

sound like it coming along bro.
as for the no garage situation; no prob bob, slap some OD green and a set of blackouts on it and head for the nearest motor pool :D :wink:

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:03 pm 
Last and final update!!! :wink: Well It took me five and a half hours but after much cussing and smashing of fingers :evil:. My baby now has new front disc brakes :D :D 8) and all at a cost of $72 :shocked!: Well I am sooooo totally happy with the disc brakes. I need to rebuild the master cylinder, The brake fluid in the front resevoir is looking kinda like tea, while the rear cylinder is crystal clear. I know that the front resevoir is for the rear brakes and the back is for the front brakes so when I get back from Texas I think I'll work on the rear brakes. :onfire: I would like to really thank you guys for this site Mainly Ben and Derek If it wasnt for you guys doing this site I would probably have gotten rid of my truck. Honestly I was at my wits end with it I mean so many little things wrong and no help at all, but with your site I have found so many people willing to give their help or there ideas I just cant thank everyone enough. I'm really looking forward to doing the Beer budget V-8 swap now!!! :drinking: :rofl: Thanks to everyone.