LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Blown Headgasket
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 7:13 pm 
Now I have always done all the work on my Luv, but never had any info to reference from other than my trusty Haynes manuel ( chiltons suck ). I have had burnt valves and bent valves ( thanks to one of my kids who borrowed it ). Here I am seeing more and more about blown headgaskets, is this common with the Izuz motors?
mouse53

Post subject: head
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:10 pm 
No, i do not believe it is a problem with the isuzus. It's that it is an aluminum head. When overheated they can warp exceptiopnally bad, worse than cast iron. This generally leads to blown head gaskets. Next time your kids bend a valve, take the head off and have a shop put a straight edge on it and check for horizontal and longitudanal warpage. Good luck, Bryan

Post subject: blown headgasket
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:05 am 
Thanks Bryan, I actually wish it was the headgasket. Unfortunately when I pulled the head the gasket was fine, maybe have a cracked head. I know what you mean about the head ( notorious for aluminum ) to warp. I appreciate the info.
mouse53

Post subject: I blew a headgasket once
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 6:50 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I blew a head gasket in my first luv once. Of course, it was accelerating downhill, I think at 45 in 3rd gear. I don't think it's generally a problem unless you're an idiot like me... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 7:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

there things in haynes that talk about head gaskets.i pretty much scanned the whole book but couldn't find any.i do got to agree with you. chiltons do suck.they don't have enough info and not enough pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 7:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

remember blown headgaskets can lead to a warped head tho.
i had a 87 izuzu impulse, 1.8 just like the luv but it was FI and turboed, i blew the headgasket and warped the p*ss outta the head....got p*ssed off at it and sold the whole damn car for $500
WHAT A F*CKIN MORON!!!!!!! wish i would have kept it b/c i cant find another

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws

Post subject: Blown headgasket
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:09 am 
Well I looked all through my Haynes and there isn't much on heads. I did however go the Pick N' Pull here and , thanks to my wife who scoped out a clean LUV with the motor intact, scored a nice head. I almost have it finished, so far, so good. I am so lucky to have a wife that likes to go get parts with me. She has found a cherry fender,( that color matched perfect ) the head and helps me work on my LUV. To top it off, I met her on the net. Been married 2 years and going strong. Sorry to get out there , but I had to wait till I was alomost 50 to find a great wife and a great site.

mouse53

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:38 am 
this space for rent

i dont know that 1.8 is realy tough. I was off roading and i tore the lower radiator hose clean off. I had to get it home so yes i drove it home. M after market temp gauge read 250 F before it whent dead (no watter) so my thoughts are as long as you dont let your temp reach the H on the stock temp gauge your fine. But man did that scare me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:03 am 
Found out that the old head cracked inside #3 exhaust valve chamber. Got newer head on and ran better than ever before, but 4 weeks later all of a sudden won't idle. Runs fine on freeway , but will not idle. Probably one of the many valves in the wonderful " coasting richer system". Sure is a lot of crap on these trucks. If you have ever read how to diagnose these valves, It can drive you nuts.

mouse53

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:04 am 
Addicted to LUV

Ya, I remember when my 76 was stock what a nightmare it was. The electrical solenoids and vacuum hoses are just rediculous. Worse than I've seen on any other car. About 1/2 of the wires in the harness are for smog crap.

I hope you find the problem.

Congratulations on the new wife too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:06 am 
Addicted to LUV

I have had a time with cracked heads when my and my brothers luv was stock. back when I was 15 a month before I turned 16 my stepdad drove it and it got hot on him.....hiz crackhead self kept going and cracked the head. of course I had no clue back then about what to do with it so I just drove it and put water in it when it needed it. I ended up getting a replacement head and installing it all by myself! I was proud.
About 3 years or so later the same thing happened to my bro's luv. I had already installed the V6 in mine so I just put my old 4 banger engine in it. :lol:
anyway don't let that thing get hot AT ALL! because chances are it will crack or warp the head.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:14 pm 
Thanks for the congrats Ben. I wish every one could have a partner like I found.

The funny thing about the first head cracking, was that it didn't get hot. I am going to bet that the prob I have now is with is with one of those solenoids. Wonder if a large sledge hammer will fix it? LOL. A V8 is looking better all the time.

mouse53