LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Help with 79 luv please
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:53 am 

I got last year a 4x4 luv with a 3" lift and 32" super mud swampers. My friends talked me into running it in the mud bogs and I did and won my first 2 races. I was shocked because it is gutless. the engine is the original and I don't think it has anything ever done to it. I would like some help on how I can give it a bit more power without costing a lot. cand anyone help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:12 am 
throw a small block under the hood lol. You can put a weber carb and a header on the stock motor from what i've heard it makes a difference. You should look at kuranosuke's posts it probably costed alot though: http://forums.luvtruck.com/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:23 am 
where exactly are these mud races located?,and welcolm to the sight ur going to luv it here!

Post subject: races
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:27 am 

they are in port townsend we do tough trucks in the spring ( this will be my first) and mud bogs in the summer( this will be my second if I don't kill my truck in tough trucks.) we are trying to get mud racing up and going we are talking to the county now. I guess people want to do this a couple of times a year. boy do I need help with my truck. Tina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:48 pm 
A header really made a big difference on mine.

A Webber Carb and ignition upgrade will help throttle response.
I remember a reading an article where the header carb and Offenhauser intake together resulted in a 56% power increase at the rear wheels.

Of course this still only gives around 120 hp rather than 80 so it still isn't a power house.

darrin

Post subject: power upgrades
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:48 pm 
Some shops here in spokane can grind a racing cam for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:57 pm 

I'm taking notes, keep it coming. I just want to say I have asked this same questions at other sites and got no respond. Luv you all for the help.
:D Tina :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:43 pm 
OG Lifer

Hell if you just want a little more power for the pit, or over some jumps at the tuff truck, go with a 50 shot plate system nitrous set-up.

WATCH YOUR PIEHOLE!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:57 pm 
da LUV masta

i agree on the weber header and cam, those are about the best upgrades. 32" tires are gonna suck alot of power away from it. its not geared for that big of a tire. you could swap in some gears out of a early model trooper (4.56) the luv has (4.10). that will help a little. a 32" tire is about 4" or 5" bigger than the original stock size tire. the 4.56 gears would make about a 30" tire equal to the stock gearing.

"A man who says it can't be done shouldn't interrupt a man doing it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:49 pm 
swap in some toyota axles and gear them with 5.29s. you could throw a lot bigger tires on it this way as well

i'd say go with a weber 32/36 carb, some kind of RV cam if you can find one, a header, and electronic ignition. should make quite a bit of difference over stock.

the truck probably does so well in the mud because a luv is so lightweight. you don't have the weight of a fullsize truck trying to spin huge tires, so you kind of "float" on top the mud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:42 pm 
da LUV masta

i agree with the lightweight rig. a little 4 banger truck has pretty equal weight front and rear. a friend of mine ran a toyota with a 22r in a sand run. he didn't win but scored way up maybe 2nd or 3rd. he beat a guy who owns a 4x4 shop that makes suspension lifts, and had thousands $ in his rig. they said he was the first off the line when it started cause he didn't spin. everyone else was spinning and digging.

"A man who says it can't be done shouldn't interrupt a man doing it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:23 pm 

you are all great. I'm going to talk to my friends and go shopping around
I have to do some painting this weekend . I can't use nitrous, if I do I can't run in the 4 cyl class, I would have to run in open class, you should see some of the things that run in that class 8O . it looks like i'm going to be busy. when I raced last time it was last min. I had 3 days to get ready
I had so much to do. got it done went for a test ride, everything good parked the truck. It was in the way of my daughters car so I went to move it @ 9:00p.m. night before race and the starter went belly up! 8O I rolled it out of my drive way in the morning and went to the races. All day I only needed one push and it was from the guy in the jeep I beat. when my truck is finished I will post pic's of it and when I race I'll let you know how I did. i'll try to get some pic's of the race. you can keep the advice coming I'm making a list to take with me
:D Tina :D

Post subject: bench seat
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:02 am 

does anyone know where I can get a bench seat that will fit my 79. I have bucket seats that are on the floor the kid I got it from was about 7 feet tall. they are bolted to the floor and don't move and I have to sit on a pillow because I am only 5' and so is my co-polite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:06 am 
Addicted to LUV

instead of getting a bench seat why don't you try to get some rails off of a bucket seat from a junkyard or something like that? it will raise them up somewhat....
just a suggestion. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:07 am 
Addicted to LUV

Try a junkyard or maybe someone up there has one to spare...guys? I've got one but the shipping would probably be kinda spendy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:51 pm 

If you find anythign for that 79 Let me know, I'm currently looking for a tailgate and possibly doors that are in good condition, uhhh if that is even possible for them to be in a state that could be considered good condition :P . But I will also be looking at engine upgrades too, beign as I dont' want to mess with a conversion as the truck is 4X4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:52 pm 
trad, do those 32 inch swampers rub? i want to do the same thing, and possibly put 4.56 in mine, i think it willrun like a raped ape then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:04 pm 
this space for rent

i have an old Headman Header off my 78 luv that i would sell you for cheap. Throw me a message some time...
depending on where your at i could meet whith you, im driving to bellingham in my luv on thursday.

Post subject: luv
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:23 pm 

Well the junk yard had nothing, :( but I will keep my eyes open. I do have another place to look. :D great news though, I'm getting my flames put on sat. I can't wait. I will show you all a pic after it gets done. I painted the truck myself and a friend of mine is going to do the flames for $35 a hell of a deal. its just to bad that it's all show 8) and no go :oops: . I want power :!: :twisted:

Post subject: suspension lift
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:44 pm 

does anyone know where I can get a 3" suspension lift to fit my truck? I can't seem to find one anywhere. what should I be looking for?