LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:43 am 
Addicted to LUV

I have a 1980 chevy luv and i just blew my head gasket.I'm doing the timing right now and ran into the problem of the timing cover not wanting to come off.From what it looks like to me the oil pump is holding the cover on.I got into the manual (haynes)and it doesn't say any thing about removing the timing cover and I'm wandering if there is anything I can do to get the cover off WITHOUT taking the oil pan off and taking out the oil pump.This has came at a very bad time and I don't have the time to take anything else off.I really need my truck back because I'm tired of driving my girlfriends piece of crap neon.If any body has had this problem Please email me at bcg187@msn.com. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:59 pm 
Addicted to LUV

as far as i know yo gotta drop the pan to get the front cover off ive hed mine off and one 2 times and its the only way i seen mine is also a 80 2wd
sorry bro :cry:

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

thanks for writing back.it's 4 wheel drive and i read through the other questions and saw you have to take the block out.sounds like real fun.if any body knows a easiar way reply.i guess it gives me time to clean up the engine.it's got about 3 inches of mud and oil on it.i've known for about a year the head gasket was bad but i've put it off.it's always ran like a champ up until the night it wouldn't stay running.it's going to be diffacult because the garage it's in is just big enough for the truck(just enough room to walk sideways around her.) :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

i dont think ya gotta remove the block! i know i didnt . 4x4 may be alot differnt i just took all the pan bolts out and it dropped down enought to clear.
btw i also removed the hood when i did mine made things alot eaiser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

go down the tech. lists to oil pan and a couple guys say you have to remove the engine or wiggle it loose to get the pan out.they say the axle is in the way and now that i remember the last time i was under mine i was wondering how to get it out. i did only a quick glance and i swear theres a sheild there too. i was hoping to get it back on the road yesterday but that didn't happen.then i was hoping within the next 2 or 3 days but the hours i work isn't seeming to help.from what it looks like to me its going to be another 2 weeks before i can even touch her :( it makes me sick to say that but i have to deal with it cause shes at my dads house(i live in a apartment)and my stepmom isn't to happy its over there anyways.she doesn't understands cars like we do.i don't look at my luv as a car i look at her like she's a human being.i also took my hood off.i did that before she even went into the garage.its great to be able to sit in the capartment and a great little seat over the radiator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:58 pm 
Addicted to LUV

well it seems i stand corrected.
ive never realy worked on a 4x4
i know what ya mean about having to leave em sit tho. mines been out of commision for 2 yrs now, but id still never sell it

Post subject: Oil pan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:39 pm 
I don't know about the oil pan having to be removed, but I hear ya about having to let your baby sit. Mine also has a head prob. I use it for work and like it more than my 93 full-size. Hopefully we will get them on the road again soon.

mouse53

Post subject: front timing cover.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:39 am 
I have an 80 4X4. Trust me take the damn engine out of the truck. It is a REAL pain in the ass to work on it in the truck. By the time you cuss and swear you could have it out of the truck and back in. The front axle does get in the way and the oil pickup is about a foot long on the pump. Just do it and save yourself the pain.Anyway you can check ther clutch while you have it out. Replace it anyway, they are not that expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 7:50 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I KNOW WHAT YOU ME ABOUT THE SWEARING.I'VE SPENT MORE TIME LOOKING AT IT CUSSING THAN WORKING ON IT.JUST A SIMPLE PROBLEM WITH THE HEAD GASKET AND NOW I'M GOING THROUGH THIS CRAP.I'M DOING IT RIGHT BECAUSE THE NEXT TIME I HAVE TO GET IN THE ENGINE LIKE THIS THIS ENGINE WILL NOT GO BACK IN.HOPEFULLY THE CLUTCH IS STILL GOOD.THAT'S WHEN I FIRST SAW HER IS WHEN MY DAD BROUGHT IT HOME TO CHANGE IT