LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:09 pm 

Well after searching every thread possible related to my problem looking for an easy fix here goes. On my 81 short bed with the g180z engine i had a problem with poor running and backfiring thru the carb. I first did the usual tune up. Plugs wires cap rotor filters valve adjustment oil change ect. The engine ran great for awhile afterwards but it is obviously tired. I started having drivability issues again and a noticable missfire with the occasional backfire from carb. At this point i put on a brand new weber intended for my 4x4 Mikado. Problem still there although it did run better. Now i know this engine has bearing issues because when you get on it and only then you can hear a rod bearing with a slight rattle. Well after searching every thread i decided to jump to the easiest thing to do. I pulled my brand new ngk plugs out . Shocked that 2 of them had smashed electrodes with no clearance. I regapped the plugs and she purrs like a kitten that just had a warm bowl of milk. Now my thoughts on this are. Either the head had previously been milled to a point causing the pistons to kiss the plugs. Or knowing the bearings are shot in the bottom end....theres enough bearing clearance lost to allow the pistons to travel to far into the plugs damaging them. My plan now is to inframe the main and rod bearings if i can get the oil pan off without pulling the engine out as this is just a back up truck at the moment. Hope this helps some poor soul thinking its there carb or your egr valve. Check your spark plugs even if there brand new. Could be your bearings are shot or the head has been surfaced to much and may smash your plugs. The only way i know to prevent this from happening in a pinch would be to install anti foulers on all 4 plugs.