LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:29 pm 

I have a 1980 LUV 4x4 that has lost the spring that holds the transfer case shift lever in centered position. Does anyone have a spring, a picture of spring, or reference to where spring attaches. I have a manual, but it doesn't show hook up points. Without it, multiple gears can engage at same time causing wheels to lock up. Thanks in advance, Papacarn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I'm not sure if this is the correct spring, but I have more pictures of the transfer case diagram. Hope this helps.

Attachments:
Manual Transfer Case 03 Detent.JPG
Manual Transfer Case 03 Detent.JPG [ 129.59 KiB | Viewed 7509 times ]

"When all else fails, follow the directions".
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:35 am 

Thank you for the reply. The spring I am referring to is external, and fits just under the boot on the transfer case shift lever

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

papacarn wrote:
Thank you for the reply. The spring I am referring to is external, and fits just under the boot on the transfer case shift lever

I checked my info on shop manuals but could not find anything on the spring. Perhaps you can contact your local transmission shop and see if they have any suggestions. Or perhaps another Luv owner will chime in on this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:47 pm 

]Have checked all the local shops. Nobody remembers working on one. If someone with a rig sporting a 4 speed with transfer case would be willing to lift up rubber boot and take picture of spring in place, I would be grateful. The spring is shown iin section 7E-5 of the Chevrolet Series 10 shop manual, and listed as item 52 "spring, return, gear shift lever"

Attachments:
Transmisson transfer case luv.jpg
Transmisson transfer case luv.jpg [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 7446 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:27 pm 

Here are a few pictures of the truck that is waiting for information on the transfer case return spring. I sure would like to solve this problem before snow falls this year.

Attachments:
luv3.jpg
luv3.jpg [ 49.6 KiB | Viewed 7428 times ]
luv2.jpg
luv2.jpg [ 45.06 KiB | Viewed 7428 times ]
luv1.jpg
luv1.jpg [ 50.7 KiB | Viewed 7428 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I like the paint job on your truck. Very unique. Where did you go for your rims?
I might still have my old transfer case, I'lll have to go through storage though. If I can find it, I'll let you know about the spring.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:05 am 

Les Schwab in Rathdrum, Idaho acquired the 15"wheels for me in 1995. The 14's that it came with were taxing the engine at freeway speeds, so I lessened the burden a little. The paint is a result of several attempts at different color schemes. I have an 83 S-10 Blazer 4x4 with a different array of the same Robin egg blue that I restored for my grandson.
I really appreciate your help trying to locate the return spring, but if your transfer case is removed from the vehicle, the shift lever will probably not be intact with the spring in it's proper position.

Attachments:
BLAZER.jpg
BLAZER.jpg [ 1.95 MiB | Viewed 7381 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:05 am 

Les Schwab in Rathdrum, Idaho acquired the 15"wheels for me in 1995. The 14's that it came with were taxing the engine at freeway speeds, so I lessened the burden a little. The paint is a result of several attempts at different color schemes. I have an 83 S-10 Blazer 4x4 with a different array of the same Robin egg blue that I restored for my grandson.
I really appreciate your help trying to locate the return spring, but if your transfer case is removed from the vehicle, the shift lever will probably not be intact with the spring in it's proper position.