LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: LUV running hot.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:11 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I had to pull the engine on my 77 LUV a month ago . I replaced the rear freeze plug inside the bell housing. Now that the LUV is running again I am having overheating problems. Like HOT. Temp gauge goes up to the top line and it boils into the overflow tank for several minutes after shutoff. I don't have any leaks, no H2O on the ground and I don't lose any fluid after cooldown. My buddy says to get a larger fanblade but this is a recent issue and the truck has always worked well in the past with the old one. The radiator flows well when removed and tested both ways with a garden hose full blast. I have a new 13 lb. radiator cap. Younger friends say there may be an air lock inside the block. Like...'I gotta burp it'. Anyone ever had this trouble? I have never 'burped' a car before but that doesn't mean it isn't necessary. I've had this LUV since '83.----rebuilt a couple of times too. I like it. I use to think the gauge was in error but since the boil out happened, I guess the gauge is OK. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your responses. Don

Post subject: Re: LUV running hot.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:21 pm 
Addicted to LUV

There could be a air lock, I don’t think this model is known for not being difficult to get air out. Did you check timing? I bought a LUV that the owner said the engine was bad because it overheated constantly. Turned out the timing was retarded. When it’s warming up are the upper and lower hoses the same temp? They should be after the thermostat opens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:34 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Yes, I checked the timing and dwell this morning. Everything looked right. Think my mark is at 8 degrees BTDC. (it may be 12 degrees) Don't remember where the line was painted so long ago. Inductive light shows it flashing right on the mark. Dwell is at 50-52 degrees. I'd like to know if these are incorrect specs. Thanks....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:36 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I'll check the temps next time I get at it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:26 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Wednesday, I did try the burping solution and it actually seemed to work! Got a laser temp gauge and drove the truck pretty hard and checked temps. The original gauge was pretty accurate and if the needle is up to the top, well, it's boiling. We drove up some good hills and when the needle went up to about 7/8 on the gauge we would stop and slowly let out the radiator air without releasing much water. After about 5 tries, truck ran cool and no boiling. Thanks Luver8 for the help.